DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to pair them with dyn tweet and 3" mid. Listen mostly to hip hop. Cost no object.
I need some oppinions.....researching spec's all day and night is getting boooooring. So real world experience would help a lot.

Thanks folks.

·
Registered
451 Posts
morel supremos
scanspeak illuminators
Dynaudio esotar 6

those are a good start

i just got some morel hybrid ovation, mids i will see how they sound, im going to try to put them in today

·
Registered
307 Posts
do u have a budget? how much power for them? how much air space? what type of install? do a "6.5 midbass" search. i did this and got 15 pages of hits. u will find the info u seek there.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, guys, for the suggestions. It is the real world experience I'm after. And esspecially for the mid bass. I've had a two way active for years and had many drivers that reproduced the mid range well. But I have no experience in a three way set up where the 6.5 is primaraly used for midbass.

As for where it would go, it would be in a factory door pannel, I don't want to make a new pannel. I'm finally stepping into a lux ride, so I'm keeping it stock for the first couple years. Going to power them with a VRX 6.420 with around 100 watts to them.

P.S. - The doors will be preped properly....sound deadening, baffle, etc.

·
Registered
205 Posts
What about the SLS 6.5's?
if you're going 3 way this is what i would do. the SLS is almost like a small sub as they only play up to 800hz flat but they should give you the up front thump you need. they come in 8'' too.

·
Premium Member
6,053 Posts
I want to pair them with dyn tweet and 3" mid. Listen mostly to hip hop. Cost no object.
I need some oppinions.....researching spec's all day and night is getting boooooring. So real world experience would help a lot.

Thanks folks.
The "tightness" of bass has more to do with the frequency response than the manufacturer. I can make a $10 woofer sound "tighter" than a $500 woofer that doesn't have the correct set of parameters.

So don't get caught up in the brand.

If anyone cares I can post some info on what parameters are required for "tight bass."

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
The "tightness" of bass has more to do with the frequency response than the manufacturer. I can make a $10 woofer sound "tighter" than a $500 woofer that doesn't have the correct set of parameters.

So don't get caught up in the brand.

If anyone cares I can post some info on what parameters are required for "tight bass."
I'm interested.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Please do Patrick...

·
Registered
997 Posts
If you're going three-way up front, I suggest just looking for the 6.5" driver with the most Vd (Sd*Xmax), and deal with the rest via EQ, x-over, TA and enclosure treatment. Midrange performance won't be an issue, because you won't be using it for that. That approach should cut down your list of options by quite a bit.

1 - 20 of 120 Posts