DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
best midrange

Hi guys,
First of all i would like to apologize for my bad english and all the mistake you'll read, since english isn't my mother tongue please be tolerant.

So now let's talk about Audio.
I'm a audioholic since i was a newborn. I'm kind of crazy about american 70 80 sounding systeme, "nice drum impact, terrific guitar and voices reproduction"
JBL and phase linear are parts of my home audio system.

I'm looking for something similar in term on impact and voices fidelity for my car.
I had a lot car audio system till now.
Hertz mille mk 2 on my previous car "wich wasn't bad at all" and now
3 voices HAT Legacy Se 7 mid woofer on the door panel,
legacy SE 3 midrange and Lev2 tweeter "of axis" dashboard oem mounted on my scion FT 86
All i can say "really sorry for the hat lovers, it's my and only my opinion" is that i'm disapointed about them, the built quality is far away from what you can expect from this price range speaker and i never suceed the reach the sound i was hopping for.
The other component are: head unit avic f60dab pionneer, Audison bit ten D, Audison voce 5.1k with the A canal for the tweeter, B canal for the woofer C the sub "imagine 12 Hat", a rockford fosgate T400-2 for the midrange.

So i'd like to change all the speakers, for the midwoofer i found something looking perfect, the build quality is just outstanding, The SB acoustics SATORI MW16P-4.

So here i need you'r help, i would like some advice about the other component,
I would like to have some 3 icnh midwoofer and really nice tweeter for of axis use in my dashboard with windscreen reflection. The price is not especailly a problem but i do not want spending hundred's of bucks just for a little improvment.
Thank's for reading.
Stephan.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Audible Physics NZ3 AIBe comes to mind that should fit what you are looking for. I've not heard it but It does gets very good reviews.

"So i'd like to change all the speakers, for the midwoofer i found something looking perfect, the build quality is just outstanding, The SB acoustics SATORI MW16P-4."

The Satori 6.5 is a fantastic speaker, in my opinion the best 6.5" iv'e ever heard. But I think using it for midbass ONLY, is kind of like using a Farrari to tow a small boat.
It's a very good midbass, but midrange is were the Satori really shines.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
SB Acoustics makes fine speakers but the SATORI MW16P-4 is an 8 ohm driver, is that what you intended to use ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Audible Physics NZ3 AIBe comes to mind that should fit what you are looking for. I've not heard it but It does gets very good reviews.

"So i'd like to change all the speakers, for the midwoofer i found something looking perfect, the build quality is just outstanding, The SB acoustics SATORI MW16P-4."

The Satori 6.5 is a fantastic speaker, in my opinion the best 6.5" iv'e ever heard. But I think using it for midbass ONLY, is kind of like using a Farrari to tow a small boat.
It's a very good midbass, but midrange is were the Satori really shines.
So what do you suggested ? A two way with a nice tweeter ?
Or three way with crossover point around 2k ?
By the way i didn't find a e-shop to buy the mentioned mid.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Contact Rishi, on this forum, he'll find you a dealer.
Here's a thread on there products. http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...ible-physics-team-product-information-28.html
Don't bother with their website it's not very good.

You could be Very happy with that driver in a 2 way with a good tweeter. You might just want to try that first before adding any midrange.
One of the members here is using the Satori 5.25 in his pillars for midrange in his 3 way.

·
Registered
19,653 Posts
before we start recommending buying more stuff, lets find out if its even tuned or installed properly first..

Faninos, do you have a dsp? or anything else that you can tune with? also can you post pics of the install?

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
I'm a little confused with the setup outlined in the first post. My understanding is that a bit ten D is 5-channels, so 2-way plus sub. But the OP is looking to add a separate tweeter and 3" mid to go with midbass, hence, a 3-way setup plus sub??

So unless I'm mistaken, and keeping the mentioned setup in mind of only a 5-channel DSP, I would probably suggest the Illusion Audio C3CX, having heard this car with a couple different installs for that stock location and utilize the passives that go with them.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Need to upgrade to an Audison Bit.1 or some other 8-channel DSP if you want active three way and subwoofers. You can also try the Helix or Mosconi DSPs which should be available in Europe hopefully for less than the US (I hear the Mosconi 6to8 is much cheaper retail).

Ground Zero speakers - look at those! I think often about the Ground Zero car I heard at the last SQ meet in North Carolina and how I want my car to sound similar. Of course I don't have GZ stuff, I have Audison Voces, which I think are great speakers too (but probably not a step up technically from your HAT speakers).

It'd be helpful to know what you dislike about the HAT speakers other than build quality/looks. What does your system do that you don't like? What does it do that you do like?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everybody,
So first of all I had a few problem with the hat drivers. First of all they didn't put enough glue on the surrounds. In the beginning after one month I hear horrible vibration, it was the surrounding on more of the half going unglued and production a really bad noise. Now it's seems that the driver is broken, I do not know how to explain but at low volume it's producing some parasite noise. Thats for the le6. I had the same problem with the le3se.

Know for the sound it's difficult to explain to you since I' expereriemcing s lot of problems, but I found hem to lack of impact. And to be a little harsh for the midrange. But I'm use to hear really nice music ony home systems, a quality I know I could not reproduce but I just want something acceptable.

You are right for the Audison bit ten, till now I had the helix DSL wich wasn't bad at all. But since I bought the av in from Audison and take back the the Audison from from my old car I was hoping find a way to install il, using two analog out for the midrange and av in for the woofer subwoofer and tweeter.
For the installation I use some dampler material not dynamat or something like that but the same I use in home audio with oak spacer and audio foam on the door stock position. And I made some adapter in fiber glass for the middle dashboard.
I hope that's clear enough thanks everybody again for your help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sirboom
You were right, it's seems that with my actual systems I'll not succeed to go active 3 way. I'll Need to buy a new bit one.... Since I really one to go with the av in.
And I do not even want to try, I was so disappointed that I do not want to pay a shipping and import fee wich are expensive for me. Belgian isn't the nearest country.
+ I already bought the two superb satory. I'll try to make a review as soon as I take the time to listen to them.

·
Registered
19,653 Posts
just saw that you did list your equipment. sorry, i was skimming through while at work. i would get a processor that will let you run a 3 way active up front and have it tuned professionally before spending money on other speakers

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What a dream system you'v got.
If I had the place and the money.... Scan speak was a little expensive for me that's why I try the satori wich is half the money. And I'll try to tune it by myself since there is not much professional tuner here in Belgium. Since I work in home audio it shouldn't be impossible, I was juste I much disjointed with that hat and do not wanna work with them again. For me your choice was much more smart since scan morel dynaudio are some of my favorite speakers. But I do not have the space nore the desire to change that. I'm kind of sure that even with a lot of money you'll never succeed to achieve the quality you could have in a home system.
But your systems is just on the paper the best system money could buy.

·
Registered
53 Posts
No tuners in Belgium?

Where are you located in Belgium? You can PM me if you like.

·
Premium Member
9,232 Posts
I like Papasin's suggestion of the Illusion C3CX. This should allow you to use your current bit.Ten until you can move on to a processor with more channels. You might even be able to fit the larged C4CX in the stock location, but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
Depending on your other speakers, two that are intriguing me right now, to play between tweeter and mid-bass, are the scanspeak 10F or 15m. So if your needs are from 250-350hz upwards to 3khz or so mating to a tweet and larger midbass, those are viable options I think.

Sent from iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 46 Posts