DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive an BMW e30 and been wanting to upgrade the audio for quite some time. I've been really looking at the Exodus Anarchies lately because of a couple of reasons. (1) Glowing reviews, (2) Would satisfy my midbass wants since I wouldn't be running with a subwoofer for a while. Now the problem is the space I have in the kicks and how I can fit in the driver footwell without getting in the way of the clutch or being to awkward of an enclosure/ replacement for dead pedal.

Ive been looking at the usual suspects for an alternative. Seas, Massive Ck6 mids, SB acoustics and so forth. Do any of you guys have any input to what could replace the anarchy but not at a scanspeak/dyn price?

Also more importantly does anyone live in the San Diego area that has a like driver they would be willing to let me listen to?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well upon some more research I might go with a system overhaul.

Of course this is all playing around but these new drivers might just fit better damnit.

Mid in the Kick: Fountek FW146. HPF 100hz?
Tweeter: Seas, Sb acoustics. There are so many tweets to pick out of the basket!
Subwoofer: two Alpine type R's fiber glassed into the door card areas in the back seat. LPF 100hz?

^^Question though. Can some one link me or tell me of any ill effects of facing the subwoofers together?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I've done quite a few E30 installs, and have a few around myself...

I just put some HAT L6's in the kickpanels on my e30, deadened the hell out of the kick panel sheet metal, and they are using the entire rocker panel chamber as IB airspace. They sound absolutely phenomenal and everyone that's listened to them thus far has asked the same question when I open they trunk to show the amps

"Uh.. where is the subwoofer?"

The L6's are powered by a A/D/S P640.2, 4 channels bridged to drive the L6's and 2 channels for the tweeters, running active of course.

A/D/S PQ40 powers the rear fill through passive crossovers.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
thats dangerous talk my friend! That just makes me want to go for this that much quicker! The rocker panel space you speak of, is that practically the speaker cavity and whats below it once you take that plastic out? Did you also just take out the dead pedal and try to reform the carpet to get the pod mold to sit flush with the medal underneath? Just curious how to do this right!

edit: that sounds like a nice system btw!

oooOOOooh: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=264-852

or: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-605

·
Registered
114 Posts
When you take the stock 5.25 speaker out there is a plastic panel under it. Remove it. Wipe out the area under it well with some solvent to get all the old crud out and deaden down in there as far as you can reach. This space under the kick panel is fully open to the entire length of the rocker panel down the side of the car.

I made 1/4" MDF rings and bonded them to the sheet metal to space out the L6's off the back wall. They have about 1/8th of an inch between the back of the magnet and the deadened wall. No vented pole so air space between isn't an issue.

There is no pod to speak of. The L6's sit as flush as possible. If you build them out you'll have issues opening the glovebox, and getting to the hood release cable. I'll see if I can get you a picture.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Here it is, with the ring bonded and the L6 mounted. As you can see it sticks out off the surface very little. About 3/8ths of an inch. With the grill in place its closer to 5/8ths off the surface.

I used some 8" speaker grills from Partsexpress and they fit perfectly around the L6's. I trimmed the stock kick panel plastic to fit the 8" grills so it looks reasonably stock.

This is the only picture I had on my phone, I can take a "finished" pic this evening when I get home from work.

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When you take the stock 5.25 speaker out there is a plastic panel under it. Remove it. Wipe out the area under it well with some solvent to get all the old crud out and deaden down in there as far as you can reach. This space under the kick panel is fully open to the entire length of the rocker panel down the side of the car.

I made 1/4" MDF rings and bonded them to the sheet metal to space out the L6's off the back wall. They have about 1/8th of an inch between the back of the magnet and the deadened wall. No vented pole so air space between isn't an issue.

There is no pod to speak of. The L6's sit as flush as possible. If you build them out you'll have issues opening the glovebox, and getting to the hood release cable. I'll see if I can get you a picture.

Definitely I want to get bigger and more capable woofers in that area and the first option was just to mount them on spacers and Do what you did. I do however want to further practice my FB skills while be able to make some thing that could fire a bit more on axis.

Getting a new way for the hood to release isn't really too much of a problem but I might have to go under the carpet and take out the dead pedal if I can. From there I need to measure how far I can go without the pod being too in the way on the driver side. Since my glove box has been sitting there looking really good as being broken, I haven't been able to really grasp on how much room I have to play with.

Pictures away! Exciting to see music nirvana being possible in a car that already drives my problems away!

·
Registered
114 Posts
On an old E30 of mine I made some kickpanel pods. I can't honestly say it sounded any better in the kick vs in the pods, and they made the dead pedal unusable and that quickly became a pain in my leg.

They looked really nice, but I sold them.

-

On another one of my E30's I built high mounted door pods to house 6.5" HAT Clarus midbasses. These sounded best of all. They also looked pretty damn nice too if I say so myself. This car got converted to stupid power/supercar performance status and the stereo was deemed extra weight so these too got sold.

-

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I remember seeing pictures of these pods before and the e46(?) wheel is a bit of a give away. Are you the founder of r3v aka Jordan?

With those door mounts I feel like the driver side speaker is so close to you and so far off axis. Luke on r3v was telling me that position's downfalls are overshadowed by how much it 'opens' up the sound. But if you're also taking the same stance, that is something I going to start making the measurements for :)

Thanks for the input, this is exactly what I was looking for.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yeah, I'm the notorious Jordan :)

Regarding the door pods, it lifted the sound stage up so well from the floor, yes being off axis is an issue, but crossing them carefully helped a lot. I was running them full active with a JL 450/4 and 500/1 with a 12W6 in the back.

The only reason I didn't do this for my current daily driver E30 as its a 4dr, and there are obstructions on the door behind the would be location pod that I didn't want to mess with (window regulator mount IIRC), and the kick panels are so easy to take a body saw to and open up for a new mounting ring. Faster, easier, and still sounds great so...

Luke is a good old friend of mine, you can trust in his experience for sure. Haven't seen him in years but I talk with him all the time online/facebook.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
haha! Let the past be bygones, I have only seen you as being helpful :)

And so with your help I think I'm more or less done with being iffy about this and by now its up to me just seeing what works best first hand. I will want to ask you one more thing though; Your kick install looks clean and it does have the benefit of looking more stock. In your opinion was it worth the move up to the door?

Going active was my goal too and it looks like you had some great amps helping you out with that. I've always secretly wanted to use those Dynavox speakers. The tweeter selection imo, just picking what sounds the best from the reviews and size and just being happy with it since so many seem to be a good candidate.

The amps I might use are the new PPI phantoms just because im a sucker for hype products and slick looks that have good reviews :)

Thanks again. I habitually over worry about something some times which prevent me from getting anything actually done.

edit: btw, I resprayed my e30 myself but didn't do such a great job. These will eventually be going into a BRG colored e30 (i know its not purist) which already has some azev A's. I would just have to clean up the car some more and it should prove to be a fine car.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I think the choice of driver and amp will make more difference to your ear than moving it from the kicks to the door. That is my honest opinion anyways. Looking as stock as possible is something I've come to appreciate more and more as I get older because replacing the radio bezel and vacuuming up tempered glass cubes grows tiresome. I don't like to give off any visual cues that there are high end goodies to be stolen...

Those Dynavox speakers look like straight up Dynaudio knockoffs to me. I've owned/own quite a lot of Dynaudio drivers and at first appearance that's what I thought there were. That coupled with the name seems a bit of a coincidence. Also the xmax on that driver is speced at 2.45mm, the HAT L6 I'm using in my kicks is 6mm. Food for thought.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
And thats almost exactly what they are from what I'm hearing. A friend in Poland I have uses Dynavox and told me its a very similar sound which definitely will count in the plus department ;) Edit: yeah the xmax is turning me off. the hunt continues!

I wish you could buy the ck6 separately.

To be honest I haven't actually properly used Winsid to graph out any of this stuff yet. Im more relying on what the Qts is and hoping for that cabin gain, as ignorant as that makes me sound.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts