DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
5,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Please address as many of the questions as you can and feel free to elaborate on to any other area of the set up. Expertise is very much appreciated. I listen to a lot of rock music. Info below-----

Car: 91 Civic Hatchback (3 door)
Headunit: JVC KD-SH909
Front door speakers: Eclipse SP6510 - ECLIPSE 2-Way Point Source Speaker SP6910 SP6510 | Fujitsu Ten
4 channel Amp: PG Titanium 500.4, 75x4 RMS
Subs: 2- Eclipse 10" (800watts RMS total) in small sealed box behind rear seats facing the hatch
Sub amp: Planet Audio - Vector D 750watts RMS @ 2ohm
Small full-range: I might add some small full-range (2-3") to the front doors and run off the headunit. Opinions?

I need a game plan as far as the next speakers I buy: Where to place them in the car (seems it would be very difficult to put both coax and mid in door), should I build a box for the mid-driver or place them in the original rear speaker location), which direction should I face them, and what crossover points would be ideal for this set up?

Budget: Speakers can be around $100 a pair. I would like to put them in the doors, but seems like a lot of work. I will be bridging them if I end up putting them in the rear (makes sense right?). PG 500.4 will produce about 120watts bridged 8 ohms (2 - 4 ohm speakers) and 180watts bridged 4 ohms (2- 8 ohm speakers).

·
5,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What are your goals with this?
I want to have good coverage and volume through out the range of sound frequencies. I want each speakers range to blend seamlessly between each other. Quality comes before volume, but more volume would be nice as the subs are loud.

·
5,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, still no help. Maybe I should explain something. "As of late we all have taken notice of what wideband/fullrange drivers has to offer us, in installation flexibility/placement and not to mention the sonic benefits of such drivers, something the home audio companies have known and done for years now." I copied this from Mark's comment about Hustler Audio and I am just now learning about what they have to offer. So, can anyone help me understand what I should be looking for to match the other components and create staging as I have never done this.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I want to have good coverage and volume through out the range of sound frequencies. I want each speakers range to blend seamlessly between each other. Quality comes before volume, but more volume would be nice as the subs are loud.
Any properly installed and tuned driver can give you the illusion of a center image, the biggest difference between drivers are frequency response/extension, tonality, and even physical sizes. Tuning the stereo can easily overcome variances in the first two, the last one is pretty static.

Blending from one driver to the next is going to be about testing out ideas, experimenting with placement, changing crossovers, adjusting phase, EQing, any fiddling with pretty much anything else you can adjust.

There are plenty of drives out there that will work, but you should help your self by narrowing it down. Price and physical limitations should also be a strong consideration, not everyone is willing to hack up their cars for audio. Do you absolutely need a driver that can play from 200hz to 15khz or can you live with something with a much narrower bandwidth?

·
5,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Blending from one driver to the next is going to be about testing out ideas, experimenting with placement, changing crossovers, adjusting phase, EQing, any fiddling with pretty much anything else you can adjust.

Do you absolutely need a driver that can play from 200hz to 15khz or can you live with something with a much narrower bandwidth?
I have an usamps crossover US-X2 if that is better than the amplifiers crossover http://www.usamps.com/technical/pdf/owners_manual_2001.pdf

The eclipse play from 65Hz to 25Khz (I assume the woofer plays up to 10-15Khz). I think I would like to cut them at 600 or so and reinforce the midbass from 350Hz to 2- 3000Hz. I really want to place them in the doors and that's means 7" or smaller diameter. Question, I have never had a frontstage dedicated midbass woofer, what would be the sound differences if placed front or rear (the rear locations face up behind rear seats on each side, I could angle them forward if needed; maybe place them in the side panels in front of rear seats)?

The tweeter is managing the job of sound above 15Khz or so, would anyone recommend a small midrange (1-2-3") fill in the 15Khz to 20-25Khz?

·
5,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am hoping to buy some Dayton RS150 drivers. I plan to build the front door panels to accommodate the dual drivers. Additionally I will need to do a lot of sealing and use damplifier. Hope this works out as planned. I still am wondering if I should use the US AMPS crossover or not?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts