DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's my dilemma. I am trying to figure out what tweeters to run in my a pillars; they will be made to be on axis, BTW.
Generally, I don't like blowing a lot of money, but I figure do it once , do it right, not like how it is right now.
I would like to run a 3way front, but as I see it, I still haven't decided on tweets. I currently have the morel 9s for midbass, and the hybrid morel 4s waiting to have they're baffles made to be onaxis. I have lots of usable power to go around so this is not an issue but size, the piccolos are as big as I can fit in the pillars;2.63in. All this will be run active, too.

So I'm looking at:
Morel supremo piccolo
Morel mt250
Morel mt23
Scanspeak ring radiators and textile 3004

Currently running renaissance cr104 tweeters, which I can assume are close to the mt23s? Always liked the morel sound for tweets but the flanges on the 104s are elliptical and don't really want to use them.
I can only assume the 250s are better, but by what margin for clarity?if I did go this route, I would double them up on each side like I did with the 104s till I blew one of them. They're also much easier to integrate then the larger supremos.
But then what about the supremos? Are they worth they're hefty price tag? The last time I got to hear them was a couple years ago, so I'm not really familiar anymore. Wishful thinking, but if used the supremos, could I get away with just a 2 way? I doubt it because of the beaming from the midbass but just a thought? What's the limit on how low you can cross them over; I believe recommended is at 2200 18db slope, which isn't really low enough because I have the mids crossed at 1.25 or 1.6k with a 24db slope; any higher and it sounds so nasty. Hence the 4in midrange waiting.

Input would be great or other tweeter suggestions.

·
Registered
9,889 Posts
My opinion is that if you are going 3-way, you are wasting your money on a tweeter that expensive. There are many much cheaper tweeters that can handle the bandwidth you'll be using them in. Many of them won't play as low, but you don't need that, there are plenty of tweeters that will perform just as well in a 3-way.

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
I recently went to a set of Scan-Speak Illuminator R3004's. I am very happy with them. I was using a set of Hertz ML280's before, and much prefer the smoother sound of the Scans.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Dls up1i is nice, scans 3004 or piccolos will be good choice.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Im using R3004's paired with Morel 8's, can't get enough of it! Every person I've given a demo for really liked the extra shine of the tweeters. I am using them on axis.

·
Banned
8,723 Posts
Set speaker budget first, always install best speakers you can afford, everything else is secondary.

·
Banned
8,723 Posts

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
You already have the mid bass and midrange right? So it's $600 for the tweeters only? Lots of options out there. Are there any size considerations?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You already have the mid bass and midrange right? So it's $600 for the tweeters only? Lots of options out there. Are there any size considerations?
Like it says above, I have yet to make the panels to put the mids in but the midbass is in, as I have not decided on a tweeter yet and max size is based on the supremos size of 2.63in. And yeah, 6 for tweets.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I'd also suggest the Seas Lotus RT27F tweeters. They don't have emphasis up top but are smooth yet still detailed.

·
Registered
671 Posts
If it was a 2-way, the Piccolo would be a no-brainer, but it's ridiculous overkill in a 3-way. I've run both the Scan D3004, and the MT-23's before. You can't go wrong with either the R3004 or the cheapest Morel.

I'd recommend starting your tuning with running the 4" up to 5KHz or so, then let the tweeter pick up from there.

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
4" beams around 3.5kHz-4kHz

So you know where to set your Xover point for the tweeter. Get one that has an FS below about 1.5kHz and you're good to go.

I wouldn't go 2 way with your midbass, install your 4" midrange and get a good tweeter for your budget.

Kelvin

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.