DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys I have been looking for a small motor to be able to move my ipad headunit in and out... (See video below skip to 1:18 if you don't want to hear about his install..) If anyone knows how I can accomplish this that would be great! I have a ton of space behind the ipad so not a real problem there. I want it to perform like the one in the video. I contacted him, and he wouldn't tell me what kind of motor it was only that he would sell me one for 140 bucks!! Which I figure is a rip off.. but you never know. So if anyone knows what kind of motor these are and where I can find one or even how much these cost I would really appreciate it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Pr1pq027sU&feature=related

Also I'm looking for some kind of hydraulic or motor that would be able to move my rear folding seats up and down?

·
Registered
194 Posts
you just need a linear actuator, pretty simple stuff. When you described it I thought it was gonna pop out and flip around, cartwheel and hide.:p

You should be able to just get a switch putting voltage both ways, you can also go with a pretty lightweight actuator too.

·
the darkside is loud
6,092 Posts
Many of those high torque compact servos for RCs and model planes are expensive.
I've paid over $105.00 (on sale) for some of the high end Airtronics servos for steering really large RC truck tires.
I have about 4 or 5 of them still around in practically brand new condition.
If you figure out the model# you want, I can see if I still have it and save you some coin.

Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR

·
Registered
7,406 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
you just need a linear actuator, pretty simple stuff. When you described it I thought it was gonna pop out and flip around, cartwheel and hide.:p

You should be able to just get a switch putting voltage both ways, you can also go with a pretty lightweight actuator too.
I can't find a very cheap one though. The cheapest I have found is a LEGO version for around $30 haha pretty cool, wish they had these when I was a kid! But I'm sure there is a cheaper one out there that can be just as effective, but so far I can't find one. All I can find is small ones that have like 200lb lifting capacity! All I need is one that moves 2 lbs an inch.. Can you or anyone send me a link of a cheap one that will fit my needs?

Do u know of a way I could make it "...pop out and flip around, cartwheel and hide.."? lol maybe minus the cartwheel ha that would be awesome to be able to make it flip around and I'll have like a faceplate from a cassette player on there! No one would try to steal it haha

Maybe I could eliminate the actuator idea and go with some kind of step motor? Like mount the ipad to a center axle in the dash and have a belt system connected from the motor to the axle making it able to flip around. I would have to think of a way for the ipad to be able to come out and also a way for it to stay inside they case when flipping over...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Many of those high torque compact servos for RCs and model planes are expensive.
I've paid over $105.00 (on sale) for some of the high end Airtronics servos for steering really large RC truck tires.
I have about 4 or 5 of them still around in practically brand new condition.
If you figure out the model# you want, I can see if I still have it and save you some coin.

Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR
Cool! Well I'm looking for a cheap and easy way to do this. So if u have everything I need to what I want it to do, then shoot me a price. :) I have room in the car to make any size housing for whatever kind of motor i decide to go with, just looking for a cheap effective method!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
functionality of something like that is really cool if you have a dash to do it in :)
Ya my build is currently on hold until i get this figured out. It would be really cool to find away for it to pop out so I can take it out and also a way to flip it around so no one can see it!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
the darkside is loud
6,092 Posts
Cool! Well I'm looking for a cheap and easy way to do this. So if u have everything I need to what I want it to do, then shoot me a price. :) I have room in the car to make any size housing for whatever kind of motor i decide to go with, just looking for a cheap effective method!
All I have are the servos.
I don't have a clue on the linkage to what you trying to accomplish but that's all custom anyway. Those components will be easy to obtain at your local hobby shop.
The Airtronics servos run on 6 volt power so you have to convert that as well. You will also have to run interrupt switches at the end points to stop the servo because they will burn up like any electric motor with continuous applied power and not being able to move.

Here's a link to an Airtronics servo guide:

Servo Specifications

I have a super high torque Airtronics 94358Z (retail $140.00) that will move 200oz (roughly 16-17lbs) and a 94161Z (retail $70.00) that will move 120oz (7-8lbs).

$75.00 shipped for the 94358Z.
$25.00 shipped for the 94161Z.

Hope that helps,
Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR

·
the darkside is loud
6,092 Posts
All I have are the servos.
I don't have a clue on the linkage to what you trying to accomplish but that's all custom anyway. Those components will be easy to obtain at your local hobby shop.
The Airtronics servos run on 6 volt power so you have to convert that as well. You will also have to run interrupt switches at the end points to stop the servo because they will burn up like any electric motor with continuous applied power and not being able to move.

Here's a link to an Airtronics servo guide:

Servo Specifications

I have a super high torque Airtronics 94358Z (retail $140.00) that will move 200oz (roughly 16-17lbs) and a 94161Z (retail $70.00) that will move 120oz (7-8lbs).

$75.00 shipped for the 94358Z.
$25.00 shipped for the 94161Z.

Hope that helps,
Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR
Correction-The 94358Z will move 200oz (roughly 12-13lbs).
Sorry,
Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Correction-The 94358Z will move 200oz (roughly 12-13lbs).
Sorry,
Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR
Thank you, I'm looking into using a step motor now and have it flip around instead to hide the ipad... Thanks again though. Maybe if I can't figure the step motor out I'll send you a pm and see if you still have any servos still available!

·
the darkside is loud
6,092 Posts
Thank you, I'm looking into using a step motor now and have it flip around instead to hide the ipad... Thanks again though. Maybe if I can't figure the step motor out I'll send you a pm and see if you still have any servos still available!
Corey,
Your pm box is full so this is the only way I can let you know that I need your last name to ship the servo Monday.
Hope this gets to you. :rolleyes:
Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR

NEVERMIND.
I GOT IT FROM THE PAYPAL RECEIPT.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'd have to agree with comment s mentioned. The servo route will be the better of the two in my opinion. If you make the mount hinged on one side then all the servo has to do is to push it with a small rod on the non hinged side. The flip will require alot of dash reconstruction in my opinion to get it to flip for a false face..I also thought about a power window motor with limit smitches but it may be too big of a motor for this.

·
the darkside is loud
6,092 Posts
Corey,
Shipped it today.:D
Should be there Thursday.
Thanks for the business.
Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Also I don't know if that will give me some points for my "iTrader"? I'm not sure how that works... If anyone can explain to me or im sure there is a main link with all the info I just havent found it yet I would really appreciate it! I want to have a valid rep! :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts