DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've got two old yet nice and supposedly still functional amps that I rescued from a friends garage that I'd like to good use (MB Quart RAA2400 & RA4200).

The amps use a really nice proprietary plug to connect the speaker, remote & power wires to the amps. Unfortunately the amps I have don't have any of the necessary plugs. My google fu shows this is a common issue with people acquiring these amps used and not having the plugs the company hasn't made the amps or the plugs in a long time and people generally buy broken amps to get the connectors. I don't think I want to go that route and I've considered the following options.

1) Open the amp, unsolder the male "pins" and solder wires directly to the board
2) Attempt to solder wires directly to the existing male pins
3) Source female sockets pins from a connector to meet my needs.

Option 3 is the way that I'd like to go first, I mic'd the pins and they use 9mm male pins for the power & ground, 4mm for the male remote pin & 3 mil for each speaker wire. I took apart a PC molex connector and it's a little small for the application like just over 2mm.

Does anyone know a site where I can find these connectors. I tried searching pins, sockets, terminals, bullet connector, banana connector and i'm coming up goose eggs. I would definitely appreciate a kick in the right direction! Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
When I had PPI art without a plug, I used basic stuff from RadioShack - it was just the right size.

Otherwise, spend some time on Digi-Key or Mouser.

·
Registered
255 Posts
If you need female molex pins, I have a ton. I also have a molex crimper for them. Depending on where you are, I would be willing to help you out. These are the types of pins that I have. If these are the ones, we can crimp them and then heat shrink over them. Maybe you could post a picture of what the male pins look like to give us a better idea.

.093 FEMALE MOLEX PIN - Qty. 10 | eBay

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice & offer of help. I checked mouser & digi-key holy crap thats a lot to sift through. I think I'll swing by radio shack and/or Frys on my next day off. Eddie, thanks but I tried the molex connectors and they're a tad too small, I might hit you up via PM though for advice regarding crimping if I do find the right sized connectors.

·
Registered
218 Posts
1) Open the amp, unsolder the male "pins" and solder wires directly to the board
Replacing the original connector pins with 4 gauge wire at the main board would be the best option for the most solid connection. A couple of inline disconnect options:

PP120 Red/Black 120 Amp Anderson Powerpole Set

or something lower profile:

8mm Gold Bullet Connectors M/F - Atlanta Hobby

These are used for battery connections in high-powered radio control models and will handle up to 300 amps. Just be sure to stagger the connections a little and avoid having an exposed hot connector. Another technique is at the supply side to use a female connector for the + and a male connector on the - to avoid the possibility of connecting to the amp in reverse polarity. A common spade connector or most anything else will work fine for the remote turn-on since it's very low current.

For the speaker wires, I recommend 4mm "banana" bullet connectors. A set could easily be surface-mounted to the amp. They have these at Radio Shack as individual connectors or as a black/red pair that accept 4mm male connectors and also thread loose to insert bare wire. I use them for 12v connections for my R/C power supplies and battery chargers.

2) Attempt to solder wires directly to the existing male pins
3) Source female sockets pins from a connector to meet my needs.

Option 3 is the way that I'd like to go first, I mic'd the pins and they use 9mm male pins for the power & ground, 4mm for the male remote pin & 3 mil for each speaker wire. I took apart a PC molex connector and it's a little small for the application like just over 2mm.
I don't recommend options 2 or 3. The more connections made = more fail opportunities, even if your soldering skills are very good. 9mm connectors are not a common industry standard which is why it's so difficult to find a match.

You might also consider cannibalizing conventional terminal blocks from a donor amp. On eBay, search car amplifier and check the "for parts or not working" block. Plentiful options for cheap.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I opened up the amp and they sealed the connection in yet another proprietary box from the inside :mad: I'm a huge fan of reduce reuse & recycle but this is a case where the manufacturer may have outdone me. I shelved the amps for the short term and pending time in the future I will try to take them down to parade rest to complete the project.

THANK YOU very much though for kicking me in the right direction!

·
Registered
218 Posts
I opened up the amp and they sealed the connection in yet another proprietary box from the inside :mad: I'm a huge fan of reduce reuse & recycle but this is a case where the manufacturer may have outdone me. I shelved the amps for the short term and pending time in the future I will try to take them down to parade rest to complete the project.

THANK YOU very much though for kicking me in the right direction!
You're totally welcome! I'm all about making old stuff work too- something learned from not always having funds for new hardware.

Just take a cutoff wheel to those boxes on the inside. You can't stop a determined DIY'er, especially one armed with a Dremel. Cover the rest of the components on the board to protect them from flying debris and have some fun.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts