Votes: 118 38.8%
  • 35 or older.

Votes: 93 30.6%

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
The Hillbilly SQ signature says, "Test, compare, retest etc." How can you test, compare, and retest when one is working just to afford the ride and beer? And yes, I think beer IS important.

As a person graduates from college and holds a regular job, the time for getting into and staying with a hobby is easier to come by.

You basically just said, "I will link you to this page that will blow your mind so much, you will go away, and take your POS ricer with you."
is isn't expensive if you don't drink and skim the classifieds for cheap drivers to play with;)

the "kids" that are willing to learn i don't have a problem with. those that come on here like slamtry did and expect a component recomendation without being willing to give info on what he's working with are the ones that don't need to be here.

·
Registered
136 Posts
25-35 here, I always turn down my system when in a shopping center, stop light, gas station, residence, etc... Cant stand those that never turn it down even through a fast food drive thru!
Can't hear the customer's order?

Sorry, couldn't resist.:D

·
Registered
789 Posts
I need everyone to do the poll please. I am doing an argumentive essay and one of my myths to argue is "car audio is just for kids". Thanks for all votes :)

You should have really broke it down to year by year of age up to who is retired?????

would give better results

·
Registered
831 Posts
joint replacement threads might be common too:eek: if i sit too long my knees get all stiff and stuff. and my right hip gives me trouble a lot and it isn't even the one that got cracked nearly 10 years ago:(

FS >>>> Replacement hip. Titanium, 9/10 under 20 miles on it. Need money for new amp upgrade. Would consider trade for oxygen tent.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
I'd be interested to see who here goes all out in car & home audio....not just one.
The problem I have is no home and Sub frequencies seem to cut through concrete in an apartment. I was evicted from three apartment buildings with my system played at any volume not an issue in my car. :p

·
Registered
446 Posts
13-17

i will say that i cant thank diymobileaudio enough. for a year and half i was trying to become educated at caraudio.com. when i was 15 and a freshman in highschool. i didnt like diy at first. i thought it was a group of a bunch of old men who had no lifes and nothing better to do than examine the science in car audio lol.

Well i was wrong. after i had my system put in by a reputable guy even though he spl. i was putting in very high quality gear. cost me around 3000$ i learned alot. and made the jump over to here.

without you guys i dont no how stupid and uninformed i would be with car audio.

Im in the process of installing my car's updated system

iva-d300 + h701 combo
Hybrid legatia 4's
Hybrid legatia 1's
Hessdawg ID Oem 6.5's until i get cash for some Hybrid legatia 6's or 8's
Sundown sax 100.4
Sundown sax 100.2
Audison Lrx 1.400 but soon to be traded
IDMax12v3d2 as ^ it soon to be traded

They will be replaced in a trade in which im getting a Stereo Integrity 15 Mag Mint + Sundown 1500D and 30$

I have kick panels for midranges and tweeters

in process of finishing my false floor and ill build a new box if i go through with the trade.

pics and build log soon =]

·
Registered
121 Posts
was bored, so I put in the winning group... been into car audio over half my life, starting to fade away tho looks like for me.

Too many habbits/hobbies...sh*t I'm more broke then the watch!!!

·
Registered
789 Posts
Why does the "35 or older" group / bar pink?

Don't even say it , I'll reach though the screen and stab you in the neck with a pencil

j/k

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
While I agree that DIYMA is a great place and avoiding the 2k installs is of the highest importance, I don't think ricer civics and being able to understand Ambolech's dissertation has anything to do with it.

You basically just said, "I will link you to this page that will blow your mind so much, you will go away, and take your POS ricer with you."
Not sure if that was directed at me, but that's not what I was saying at all. Sorry if it came across that way. My point was, many people outside the car audio world think that the only people involved are punk kids blasting "Tss... Tss... Tss... Tss.... BOOOOM!" from their lowered Civics. It's not that I have anything against 'ricers' in the least. Nor was my comment meant to deter those types of people from frequenting this board. Perhaps they could learn a few things about how to improve their setups. All I was saying is that there are a lot more people that are involved in car audio than outsiders might think. I am a full time student, and am 25 years old, so you're not alone in the student boat. And while some people have more time to dedicate to tuning and install than others, I don't think that makes someone more or less welcome on the forum. ;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
A man in his 70s got me into home audio. Car audio was the next logical extension. I never cared much for subwoofers until that classical music freak showed me how it matters.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I was there like quite a few others at the birth of mobile audio in the 80's, so yes that makes me part of the 35+ category.

I started because I got my grandma's car for my first car, a 1975 Ford Gran Torino, with an AM radio only and one single middle of the dash speaker. Needless to say I needed more than AM to listen to. So I got a head unit and some speakers, then I bought a new car which luckily for me had no stereo at all. My mind went crazy with the fact I had a clean palate to start with, that led to my big boom system 16 speakers in a 2dr hatchback GEO Metro. After blowing out back windows and annoying my parents neighbors and the entire college campus, oh and getting a job as a voice over artist/sound engineer I realized that I didn't want/like the big boom anymore.

That was about the time car audio started to mature as well and reached what some people call the pinnacle of what was commercially available mid-early 90's. So I grew up with car audio from its infancy to its current state and I still love it.

Don't know if my babbling will help but it was fun for me to trip down memory lane this morning.

P

·
Registered
997 Posts
44 here :).

Got into audio LONG time ago. Designed and built my first speakers in my late teens and they sounded like CRAP, LOL. The bass was horrible. The search to find out why led to pages and pages of design notes which eventually made they way onto the Internet as The Subwoofer DIY Page.

I got into car audio about '92 or so. A simple system with IPI 4" coaxes and Pioneer TS-S20s up front and a dual isobaric 6th order BP with 6.5" drivers for a subwoofer (ok, I had a LOT of time on my hands back in those days :)). I'm still quite hooked, but I don't have as much time as I used to, and my body isn't quite as forgiving as it used to be when I spend hours bent up under the dashboard or over the subwoofer install in the trunk :).

41 - 60 of 84 Posts