Votes: 118 38.8%
  • 35 or older.

Votes: 93 30.6%

• Total voters
61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
A poll for age that stops at 35 or older? Fuging kids!
At 50+ the second wind kicks in. New cars, new wife or hot girlfriend and unless you were a fool for the last 30 years some
money in the bank to play with new toys. If the old body is a little slow that's why they make the purple pill and pain-killers.

I started in audio/radio back in the quad era. I worked for radio-shack when they actually sold nice equipment (70s).
Joined the military and worked for the MIC for 15 years Military-industrial complex - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia before my current job.
I got back into this stuff when some of my older kids asked me to help with their cars.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Over 35 here. I've changed out my HUs and speakers in almost every car I've owned but it was only a few years ago I actually started to take it more seriously. My current vehicle is the only one I've actually run amps and a sub in but I've already made quite a few changes and I keep thinking of more. Damn DIYMA!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Car audio as you know it was basically born in the 80's. Some of us have been with it since the start, some of us are getting into it for the first time. For instance, I got into it in the late 80's. I have not looked back since.

That is the draw to forums such as this and what makes DIYMA unique. You have a bunch of old experienced people locked into technology they know best and works form them. Mix that with non-experienced "kids" who only know the cutting edge and it makes things interesting. We each learn something from each other.

Ge0
80's???

I guess that depends on how old you are. The 1965 Pontiac Bonneville had a reverb option for the sound system, very crude but shows how folks were already wanting better sound in their vehicle. What changed car audio was format. Until the eight track tape, the only options were radio. The casstte tape made it's debut in 1966 and filtered into the US later on. My 68 Firebird has factory cut outs for 6X9 speakers. There wasn't very many companies supporting car audio, Craig, Pioneer and Tandy, but even Tandy came out in the 70's with EQ's.
I helped a freind back in 76 build a system for a 65 Nova, tore the back seat out and added some JBL tens from stage monitors in place of the rear seats and some Realistic (Tandy) power amps. Crude, but we were there before the 80's.

·
Registered
85 Posts
interesting how there's actually more older people here than younger. clearly shows that the kids who just want a lot of bass are in fact the minority

*edit*

or are simply not interested in knowing anything about it.

obviously membership to an audio forum is not a comprehensive representation of the industry

·
Banned
388 Posts
I think you find the average age on this site, and especially in this sub-section, will be fairly high. Try this poll on a site like ca.com in the subwoofer section and you will get an entirely different set of results. The first thing about research is that you cannot decide the facts first and then collect data to support it - the data must be obtained in an unbiased way, then evaluated.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm 47. First system was Mitsubishi component HU and amp/eq in my new 78 civic up in Canada. Alpine had just come out, and their first line of speaks blew me away...then that system was stolen :( That's how car audio began for me. :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
^^^Way too true. While my friends are buying some "kickass" wallyworld subs and pyle amps, I'm aiming my kicks and tuning my US acoustics amps lol.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am 39 and have been in this hobby since 18. After having my first system installed, I learned real quick how to do it myself (if you know what I mean). When I started (late 80's) it was all about how much could I move my windshield. As one matures in the hobby you become more and more interested in SQ. What I love about this hobby is that it will never get old. Think about the people who are heavily into home audio. I bet you the demographic age is over 40. Why should car audio be any different? I won't stop with this hobby until I have to wear hearing aids.

The real question for age is 18-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50+

61 - 80 of 84 Posts