DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I have been searching every day for a week trying to find some pics I came across online of an install and cant find them again. Forgot to save the page in my favourites.
They are some really great install pics of a pair of custom sub enclosures that were mounted on the back of the rear seats of a small hatchback. I cant quite remember but I think the car may have been a Mini Cooper. The enclosures were Half circle shaped with Chrome trim around the subs which I think were JL's or Hertz. If anybody knows the ones I'm talking about, please post a link. It's driving me crazy that I cant find them again. Damn Interweb.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope its not either of the JL Mini's. I cant for the life of me remember where online I saw it, could have been another small hatcback as well. The enclosures are half circles at the top and then form down in an angular curved form like a cone shape. Imagine a cone standing vertically and sliced in half from top to bottom.
And thanks for the reply though, I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hmm, well...are you wanting to find pics of it to just look at them or are you wanting to have something to show an installer to say "I want enclosures like this", or maybe just to inspire you to build your own box? If you're wanting it for design/model purposes, I probably would never be able to find what you're looking for with such a limited description, but I could probably mock something up in Sketchup for you. Maybe do your best to draw it in MS Paint if you don't use 3d drafting progs, and give me some dimensions, and I could take it from there. Let me know if you're interested.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, Thanks for drawing that,Yes thats almost exactly it. A little more round on the top. The sub sits in the circular top and fires up. Chrome trim on the rim of the circle if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Wow, Thanks for drawing that,Yes thats almost exactly it. A little more round on the top. The sub sits in the circular top and fires up. Chrome trim on the rim of the circle if I remember correctly.
No problem. By "a little more round" do you mean that it's more than a half circle (180°)? like maybe 270° or how many degrees? Or do you mean more concave or convex? The model I drew has no concavity or convexness, what you see is just the interior not blocked by a joining surface. So is the half (or more) circle on top concave or convex? Does it bow up or down into the half-cone? Also, the surface of the triangle, is it concave or convex? I drew it straight, but if that needs changed, let me know.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd say around 270 degrees or so, more than half a circle. The circular top was basically flat. Your drawings are almost bang on, now I just have to find the actual pictures. Thinking of going that route on an upcoming build, need those pictures for some inspiration.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts

Is this it? If so, it's Dave Johnson's Cayman.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nope, but that looks pretty cool. The enclosures mount on the backside of the seats just like in the 3D drawing, firing up to the roof.

·
Super Moderator
5,229 Posts
Search your browser history. Search using one word each search that you think might be part of the name of the website or image name. Or, if you know the exact day you found it then organize your search history by date and you should be able to find it easy.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Something like this? Let me know if something needs to be different. BTW, to fit a 12" sub with a typical 12½" diameter on a ¾ circle (or ½ circle for that matter), that enclosure is going to be around 26" wide, which may or may not surprise you.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It looked more like your first drawings actually. I think the subs could have been 8's or 10's, not very big.

·
Registered
237 Posts
It looked more like your first drawings actually. I think the subs could have been 8's or 10's, not very big.
Well, the first drawing was 180° ½ circle on top, second was 270° ¾ circle as per your description. Feel free to describe any needed changes and I'll make it happen.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts