DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am sorry if this is in the wrong section/thread I am new here and wanted to ask a few questions.

I am building an enclosure for a 12'' Alpine type R. The amp I have is a JL e 1800D monoblock amp. I am not sure on how to build the box. I have a few ideas but not sure what will sound the best.

1st idea was to make it a square enclosure with the front side at a 45-55 degree angle (which is where the sub will be)

2nd idea was to make it sorta long and have the sub on the long side sorta like a tube(sub not at end but on side) but more rectangular.

Im not sure how big I should make it. If any one could help me with some ideas on dimensions that would be great. I posted here cuz my first post. Oh and I want it to be ported too. Thank you all.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I don't think he was asking about SPL vs. SQ. I think he was more looking for ideas on how to build it dimensions and to what specs. Which depends on 2 things really.
1.) Which version of the Type R do you have? the 2 ohm or 4 ohm version.
2.) What type of enclosure are you going to build, (sealed, ported, bandpass, IB?)

You can find all your answers in the reference guides
4ohm version
http://support.alpine-usa.com/products/documents/OM_SWR-1242D.PDF

2ohm version
http://support.alpine-usa.com/products/documents/OM_SWR-1222D.PDF

oh and BigAudio, for the record, its "really" not "rely"...REALLY

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
As I said I am not REALLY a box builder any box I build or buy is sealed as I like the sound that is produced. With the amp that you selected I would choose the DVC 2 ohm type r as it can go to 1 ohm load. The dvc 4 ohm can not. I know he was not asking about it I was just telling him that I am not into that much power going to a sub. Or getting it that loud. So I am not sure what to tell him for box building.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Another install was done the direct link here " 'O8 CR-V Overhaul - Day One - Car Audio Forum - CarAudio.com " It was a 2008 Honda CRV came out great. I will not say much more as the customer "Adam" said most of it.

Directly from him

Today was the first day of my '08 CR-V's metamorphosis. With the help of forum member bigaudiofanati2 (Matt) - who I can't recommend highly enough whether you just need questions answered, want to hire for a build or to work along with and learn something at the same time while having things installed well (e.g. good solder skills, and methodical). We started with my car:

'08 CRV LX, with Pioneer DEH-7000BT I previously installed (together with bluetooth, external XM module, but everything else stock (speakers, no amps, no sub - blah blah sound with lots of road noise).

TO (so far):
Alpine PDX-5 5-channel amp; Polk MM6501 6.5" component system for the front; Infinity 6032si 6.5" for the rears. Also, 3-bulk packs of Dynamat Extreme, Kicker 09PK4 4AWG amp wiring kit and Monster MPC I306 6-channel RCA cable. The sub-choice remains pending (but will be powered by the PDX-5) - as I'm still considering either sub-box location or some way of integrating a shallow-mount sub or the like in the truck (without buying a $$$ JL Stealthbox; I'd rather be a bit more unique/custom than that).

Well, without further adieu, here are some pics from Day One. The dynamating was all my work, so don't hold any faux pas there against Matt, lol. I'll leave it to him to reply and detail the considerations he has taken so far on the build.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
All new speaker wire was ran to the speakers and to the new tweeters. The original plan was to build up a mount with wood and bondo the tweeters into the sides of the doors. "might still do" but we will first test the system with the stock locations and see how it sounds and go from there. It would look slick and would probably give him better imaging. As I said still up in the air. Tomorrow I will be working on the fuse mount for the crv and painting that. Than Friday we will get back together install the amp either under the seat or in another location. As we have said we are not sure what we are going to do about the sub yet but it will probably be a custom box build. Which I will look forward to. Other minor things will be remounting the blu tooth mic. the sad part about this is that the pioneer is already producing a low wine noise "always with pioneers" so I will probably ground the rca's and change the ground point see if that helps. Might be changing the head unit but that is up to Adam and what the turnout is. It is going to turn out to be a good setup.

Did the fuse block bracket

Fuse mount looks good. Up here in North Jersey, I continued with Dynamat. Today, I think it was seven sheets in the trunk. Here are some pics before and after.

Tomorrow, big things happening. PDX-5 amp which was finally delivered being installed, dynamat to the floors/liftgate, mount the crossovers, bluetooth mic, put everything back together again the ... yeah, listen to and tune it.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Drove down yesterday to continue work with Matt (after spending the day before putting in my trunk Dynamat, as shown above). Wrapped up everything nicely - Dynamat to the floors, amp installed, custom fuse bracket and sheet metal bluetooth mic bracket installed. The Alpine PDX-5 is awesome - so small and the verification sheet from the factory - well, a pic is below; obviously they severely underrate the powerhandling ability of them. I'll let Matt fill in any details from yesterday i'm forgetting. Again, can't recommend working with him highly enough. Learned a lot yesterday and his attention to detail is very significant.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Worked on another car yesterday. This one I got involved in working with bondo. I am still working on the pods and going to get paint soon for them but I do not think they came out bad for a first time.

0 Gauge ran

More pics soon

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Just wanted to ask if you sealed up the air gaps on the sides of the speakers here.

I think you have some overkill going on with the dynamat. All it really does is stop resonance. It's not going to block much road noise. Look into mass loaded vinyl and closed cell foam. Most of the other stuff is looking good.

21 - 40 of 195 Posts