DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

141 - 160 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Need Help with MyG37 coupe project right now I'm in the planning stages and have more questions than answers.

My Current setup is stock Head, Stock speaker amp, Sundown Audio SA-10 (Just recently purchased after my Polk SR-10 shit the bed). Powered by a Polk Audio PA1200.1

My next step is to improve front stage. My Question is can I just start with replacing the stock Bose amp with a 4 channel amp. If so what would you recommend, please keep in mind I plan on buying a set of JBL 660GTi for the Front door replacements. Not sure on replacing rears at the moment but prob a coax setup down the line.

I have SQ with good hard hitting base in mind for my ideal setup and would like to shoot some thoughts and ideas to you for my ultimate goal, Let me know if you can help

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
Past weekend was a busy one.

Started off with a 2006 Mercedes ML 350.

Goodies
JBL MS8
Pioneer AVIC-Z140BH

Factory head unit

Seat out

Head unit removed

Head unit harness, Red/Black wire will be tapped for +

Factory amp location under driver seat.

Outputs wired to the MS8 harness. All soldered and heat shrunk.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
Next up 2009 370Z

Goodies
Pioneer App2 radio
JL250/1 AMP

Sub bass knob was installed looking like factory

New head unit installed

New amp

Quote from the customer.

"Well after my major score at BestBuy, I contacted Bigaudio and he just happens to be in my area this weekend so I decided to take him up on his offer and have him over to install my new head unit and sub amp. Super excited to have him do it, nice to have someone familiar with the car and cares. Pictures will be up on Sunday night.
So where do I start. Let’s start with Matt the person, what a gentleman! Showed up at my house and right away I felt like we had known each other for years. So we sat down for some breakfast and the conversation flowed right away. Sitting with a fellow audiophile that is 28 years my junior and yet likes the same music, well that was a welcome surprise.
Now on to the install, the guy knows this car like the back of his hand. The car was dismantled with CARE in just minutes. All of the wiring was soldered and heat shrink covered and all the runs neatly replaced. Of course as faith would have it, just as he’s getting ready for the final touches, one channel's not working. So out comes everything and the hunt begins. Well like I said, he knows his stuff and after a little trouble shooting, he traced the problem back to the previous installer’s work, short in the "lamp cord" they used to feed the crossovers from the amp. He was kind enough to replace the wires for me with something a little more suitable. Once that was done everything went back in without a hitch.
I really can't say enough about this guy, we laughed all day long, even though it was 80 and the sun was on us all day, we still had a blast! I'm having him back in a few weeks to trouble shoot the system in my FX35.
So if you’re in the market for an installer, don't hesitate to give him a call, the price is right, the work is GREAT and the conversation is fun, you won't be sorry. Oh one other thing, he's done like 40 370's, I don't know many installers that can say that.
Thanks again Matt!"

·
Registered
650 Posts
Not trying to be a hater, but if your going to try and become a professional installer and have your own website. You need to run spell check on that shit.

There's vs Mine (sorry but messing up theirs vs there's is killing my OCD.)

I mean I could go through your about page and find at least 20 grammar and spelling mistakes. That doesn't scream professionalism to me. If your website is trying to say you take the time to solder and save screws, but you can't take the time to proofread your own website I would be looking up the next guy in town with a decent website to work on my ride..

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
Not trying to be a hater, but if your going to try and become a professional installer and have your own website. You need to run spell check on that shit.

There's vs Mine (sorry but messing up theirs vs there's is killing my OCD.)

I mean I could go through your about page and find at least 20 grammar and spelling mistakes. That doesn't scream professionalism to me. If your website is trying to say you take the time to solder and save screws, but you can't take the time to proofread your own website I would be looking up the next guy in town with a decent website to work on my ride..
This is understandable, I apologies for the grammar. I do have a hectic schedule between college, full time work, and car audio on the side. I will try to catch more of them as I go along and I am aware of the erros on the website currently.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I know how that is with finding time...don't rush things just to get it up. If the site isn't ready don't put it up until you feel it's your best face. Your hurting your business with a sloppy site then waiting a few days to get it fixed and looking professional.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
Hello everyone, my name is Matt, I have been an installer for 8 years now. My audio installs is a part time side job, however I work as a I.T. guy. We got our new van a few weeks ago and the stock system was not cutting it for me.

Stage 1 Head unit install

I decided to go with something that could give me expandability and features but also not something that would blow the budget. The JVC KW-R900BT fit the bill nicely. I am a alpine guy all day and kenwood is a close runner up, but I decided to step out of my comfort zone on this one and go with a different brand all together.

On to the pictures.

Few of the parts

Ran the mic on top of the A pillar, no problem with echo or noise.

As I do all my work, I soldered and marine grade heat shrunk all the wires, sadly I was in a rush and did not take a picture of this.

Wires ready to go.

Routed the USB #2 port to the glove box, very simple to do.

Head unit installed in the metra dash kit.

Installed with trim ring

·
Registered
168 Posts
there are quite a few shops in the NE where we live that do a crap job and not solder anything. Too many quite frankly that haphazardly put stuff together. Not sure if you guys have that in Canada eh, LOL but hey if hes willing to go the extra mile then good for him.

NOW, i am a bit biased here as he fixed a hugh problem i had, very very hugh problem due to shotty worksman ship. I can vouch for his work for my project

·
Registered
278 Posts
Not a problem, being that I worked for Best Buy install bay for 2 weeks and quit simply because of their poor quality and lack of respect for people's cars. Than working for 2 others shops in my area, I know that my work is much better than theirs even as far as wiring. Not all my customers are dropping 8k for a system so I do not expect all my systems to be show quality.
You can't say best buy has poor installation standards. The correct response would be that the store you worked at had horrible installers. The bay I worked in trumped even the best shops out there. The reason for that is because we had a team of installers that took an extreme pride in our work and cared about our image as individual installers.

So you can't say there aren't guys out there that just so happen to work at a best buy but can't turn a screwdriver.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
The owner contacted me asking for a clean basic stereo install. Nothing crazy but he did want a little flare to it. I went ahead and put together an idea and went to work.

Equipment

Custom Autosound Secret Audio SST
CD Changer
Alpine Type S 6.5 Components
Alpine Type S 6X9 Coaxial's
KnuKonceptz 16 gauge wire

As always wires soldered and marine grade heat shrunk.

Harness organized and wired

The CD changer was mounted using aluminum brackets secured to the back lip of the rear wall.

Pre made kick panels were not deep enough for the woofers, nor did they have a cut out for a tweeter. Spacers were made and will later be routed and painted, fallowed by upholstery.

A new dash was made (not by myself) and the display was installed.

A bracket was made to install the brain as well on the back wall. The one strip going along the back wall has a gap behind it and worked well as a place to secure everything without going through the wall.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Looking goot Matt. when do you expect to finish? need final install pics.

The CD changer looks kinda weird just hanging there - is there a trim wall going over that i cannot see?

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
You didn't need to add a relay to that Audison LRx you did a while back.
They have remote in and remote out. Otherwise looking good.

141 - 160 of 195 Posts