DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am seeking a pair of 8" mid-woofers that fit in a .284 cu.ft. sealed enclosure (each). I'm going to model everything I can find in WinISD and just buy whatever I guess looks the best. I'm just here to fish for ideas because I won't think of every brand to look up. Suggestions appreciated. Target frequency response is 50 Hz to ≥ 500 Hz to play between an IB 18" and a 3.5" mid.

Backstory: I bought a pair of ID8s thinking I could use them as midbass... we fabricated 2 "small" sealed kick panel enclosures for them. They're pretty awesome... until they fall off a 125Hz cliff and leave a valley leading to the midrange. ID doesn't specify a frequency range on these. I mistook their graphics as "plays decent until 500Hz," but they don't.

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Pattern

· Premium Member
2016 Mazda 6 GT
2,519 Posts
Maybe:

Reactions: Dremgragen

· Premium Member
2006 Hyundai Sonata V6
784 Posts
Are the boxes already built? If so, what are the dimensions?

· Registered
2,204 Posts
Anarchy 7" can do it. Big throw and can play up to 1500Hz at least (cone breakup issue around 1500Hz I think), some run them in a 2 way with a low crossed tweeter.

for an 8".. The SLS 8 cant play high enough (and 0.25 is too small), SLS 6.5 would be a better fit, and the Dayton HO 8 might do it, I'm sure there are some other midwoofer that might work but I cant think of them right now.

What 3.5" are you running?

· Registered
4,298 Posts
I am seeking a pair of 8" mid-woofers that fit in a .284 cu.ft. sealed enclosure (each). I'm going to model everything I can find in WinISD and just buy whatever I guess looks the best. I'm just here to fish for ideas because I won't think of every brand to look up Suggestions appreciated. Target frequency is 50 Hz to ≥ 500 Hz to play between an IB 18" and a 3.5" mid.

Backstory: I bought a pair of ID8s thinking I could use them as midbass... we fabricated 2 "small" sealed kick panel enclosures for them. They're pretty awesome... until they fall off a 125Hz cliff and leave a valley leading to the midrange. ID doesn't specify a frequency range on these. I mistook their graphics as "plays decent until 500Hz," but they don't.

View attachment 319491
The already mentioned Anarchy 704 or the Dayton Audio Epique E180HE-44.

· Registered
2004 Rav4 (2)JL900/5 MiniDsp 8x12(Dirac) LPG26NA GS25 Epique180-44 (2)Um12
2,362 Posts
That location might be the whole problem, maybe consider building a test enclosure and see how it ID8 does in various places. I 3rd the Epique 180-44, I run it in my doors IB and they are great, absolutely great. I thought the kick location was the holy grail but I had a raunchy response when I built kick enclosures. Here’s my un-eq’d kick and door response. The doors are heavily treated with full fiberglass baffles so the response is a little better than most “well deadened” doors.

Photograph Rectangle Slope Font Line

Rectangle Slope Font Line Parallel

· Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That Anarchy looks great; but it bothers me that there are no specs for me to compare it vs the rest.
So far the best spec-wise I've found is the ScanSpeak Illuminator 7"

Why are all the good options 7"? I made kicks for 8"s, damn it.

· Registered
2,204 Posts
TS are published for the anarchy on the site. And they've been tested on klippel.

· Registered
2,204 Posts
The illuminator is the better driver but its like 6x the cost and you're only playing it 50-500.

the ho8 might work with a little EQ work..

· Registered
2004 Rav4 (2)JL900/5 MiniDsp 8x12(Dirac) LPG26NA GS25 Epique180-44 (2)Um12
2,362 Posts
The illuminator is the better driver but its like 6x the cost and you're only playing it 50-500.

the ho8 might work with a little EQ work..
I was thinking that but was worried it might ring in such a small enclosure.

· Registered
4,298 Posts
That Anarchy looks great; but it bothers me that there are no specs for me to compare it vs the rest.
So far the best spec-wise I've found is the ScanSpeak Illuminator 7"

Why are all the good options 7"? I made kicks for 8"s, damn it.
There are also DATSv3 measurements posted by me for the Anarchy 704 and the Epique somewhere around here. I'll be damned if I can find them though.

Reactions: 420tabbycat
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.