DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have not owned a soundstream since the 90,s and remember they are tough as hell. i picked up a rub 404 and would like to run channels 1&2 and 3&4 at 2 ohms mono. im just a little worried about trying to get too much out of it. will it run fine if it gets plenty of air?

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
It will do it, but would be kind of hard on it for subs. If midbass or higher I'd think it will be fine. A larger 2ch would be better for subs, but it depends on how hard you will beat on it of course. If you are not going to thrash it then don't worry about it using it on anything you want. I used to run the snot out of all those amps back in the day, but now I don't so much because I can get what size I need...and I don't want to smoke them they are good amps. A fan would help a lot.

·
Former Installator
217 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i saw the manual b4 i asked. i was just a little worried about doing it with a sub. i think ill just order a dual 4ohm sub. thx guys

·
Registered
8,979 Posts
The Rubicons (assuming it's a 1G Rubi and not the later, post-buyout Runis) will run that just fine. A dual 4-ohm will be a lot easier and have much more headroom though. The 1G Rubis are EASILY my favorite SS amps.

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
I have the early 302 and it can make the power, had it on a single 12 and it went very loud IMO. That 12 sounded nasty, but had nothing to do with the amp. Thing has a small footprint too.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
I have the early 302 and it can make the power, had it on a single 12 and it went very loud IMO. That 12 sounded nasty, but had nothing to do with the amp. Thing has a small footprint too.
Great amps.

I have a closet full of them....just waiting for the right time to do an entire system.;)

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
Great amps.

I have a closet full of them....just waiting for the right time to do an entire system.;)
Have a pair of 302, I'd like a 700 or 1Kw but not up to losing the coin yet. Have an EGA440.2 that supposedly does 880rms IIRC that I could run for sub but its not a class D I'd prefer....not sure I would run class AB on the sub anyway.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Wait a minute... are you guys talking about the same amps I remember?

The Reference amps that sounded great until they blew up, and almost bankrupted the company?

The Rubicon amps which were going to save the company after the Reference debacle, which then blew up almost as badly, and DID bankrupt the company?

I know they sounded great until they blew up, and I know not all of them blew up, but jeez... let's not block these memories out like women block out the pain of childbirth.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts

The Reference amps that sounded great until they blew up, and almost bankrupted the company?

The Rubicon amps which were going to save the company after the Reference debacle, which then blew up almost as badly, and DID bankrupt the company?

I know they sounded great until they blew up, and I know not all of them blew up, but jeez... let's not block these memories out like women block out the pain of childbirth.

·
Registered
8,979 Posts

You know not of what you speak. The Rubis were bulletproof. The Refs blew up all the time. If you broke a Rubi you were extremely talented.

Then there's the point about the company being sold. SS was in deep even before the Rubis came out. Basically it was the Refs that killed the company.

You need to get your history of the company correct.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
You need to get your history of the company correct.
Do I? Doesn't seem like I need to do much of anything. Soundstream can sue me for libel or slander - oh, wait, that company is out of business.

Given how I took a job as a sales rep for them at the end of the Reference debacle, and when Rubicon came out, and how longtime Soundstream dealers were beating me about the head and shoulders with manila folders full of defective amp shipping paperwork, I think I get to have my experience.

Perhaps my experience is colored by the fact that Soundstream lied to me as their rep and to their customers, practicing underhanded dealings, and earned some enmity. Karma is a b!tch.

·
Registered
8,979 Posts
Interesting. What territory? My shop was in Sacramento and we had a few guys go from our shop to work for SS in Folsom. We always had a very good relationship with everyone there.

·
Former Installator
217 Posts
WOW... I better get rid of all my amps then... I guess those Ref 200, 500, and two 300's I own are are handgrenades!!! And to think I've had them for 15+ years too... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
WOW... I better get rid of all my amps then... I guess those Ref 200, 500, and two 300's I own are are handgrenades!!! And to think I've had them for 15+ years too... :rolleyes:
Well if they lasted this long they'll last until the caps start leaking.

Just depend on the temp extremes they're subjected to.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Hey, only 40% of the Nak CD400 I sold, broke in the first year. (I did the math at one point).

So 60% of them sounded great and their owners loved them.

From a manufacturing QC POV, 40% is a disaster - but not to the 60%.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts