DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a Kicker 6.5" woofer for a customer and am using the sub output from an XD700-5. The sub channel puts out 180W @ 4Ohms, but the sub handles only 150W rms so I have the gain set for a higher input voltage so as not to over power it, but amp only has a low-pass filter without any subsonic filter and these lower frequencies are killing this woofer.

I want to just add a capacitor to have a cut off @ 80Hz with an -18db to -24db slope. I have never built a crossover and I do not even know what type of capacitor to use in this application.

I need help from one of you SQ geniuses out there who has experience with building crossovers.

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
No, you need help on NOT cross posing over mutiple forum sections...

All caps implies screaming on the interwebs as well, get with the program...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow. Well I have never really used a forum before. I posted in two different sections because I was not sure which one would be the best to receive a quick and intelligent answer to my problem as it is somewhat urgent.

I did not realize that by doing so I would inconvenience someone so much that it would warrant being reprimanded. I don't care what all caps "implies" because that has no bearing on my intention - which was to attract attention to my aforementioned urgent issue. But, I really appreciate you taking the time out of your day to be needlessly bothered by such an inconsequential thing and letting me know how things work 'round 'ere. I would appreciate an actual solution to my issue far more though.

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
Urgent is someone dieing, not your install problem... sorry.. you don't "need" to gander attention...

And if you've never used a forum before, well, you need to get with the program, consider this the first step...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Urgent is someone dieing, not your install problem... sorry.. you don't "need" to gander attention...

And if you've never used a forum before, well, you need to get with the program, consider this the first step...
Hey it is the Forum Nanny again... How's it going bud? Do you mean "garner attention"?

I really don't need to get with any program, and I'll decide what is urgent for myself, not for Mr. Forum Nanny.

But I would like to thank you again for wasting my time with unwritten forum etiquette instead of contributing knowledge pertaining to mobile electronics (gee...I am pretty sure that is why I joined the forum...)

P.S. - I'll be sure to title any threads I post with all caps just to make sure you feel important as the unofficial "Forum Nanny"

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
But I would like to thank you again for wasting my time with unwritten forum etiquette instead of contributing knowledge pertaining to mobile electronics (gee...I am pretty sure that is why I joined the forum...)
Yeah, I DID, in your OTHER thread... you ignored it completely, because it must NOt have been what you WANTED to HEAR...

Don't simply accept the fact that you aren't doing it right... turn into a gigantic DOUCHEBAG to prove it..

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
it is just alot easier if it is kept in one thread. you got replies, three different ways to accomplish what you wanted. pick one. if you have more questions, ask there.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I DID, in your OTHER thread... you ignored it completely, because it must NOt have been what you WANTED to HEAR...

Don't simply accept the fact that you aren't doing it right... turn into a gigantic DOUCHEBAG to prove it..

Wow...Forum Nanny is back yet again. You are like a dingle-berry that even sand paper could not wipe away.

You're suggestion of putting the woofer in a tiny enclosure is hack - I despise hacks. The whole reason I founded my company was to give customers an alternative to the hacks like you who saturate the industry. That is also completely beside the fact that I did not ask for alternative suggestions, I asked how to build a crossover - so your answer was crap from any angle, light, or direction you could look at it from.

Now this is rich - you scour the forums looking for someone who has broken one of your unwritten forum laws like a nerdy, whistle-wielding hall monitor and I am the douche bag? I think your lack of having any hint of a meaningful existence may be clouding your judgement. (btw you wrote "douchebag" in all caps; were you screaming on the forum? Tisk Tisk... I think you may need to write yourself a detention slip) Hah, I only kid. I am actually glad to know that I could play a part in making a sad, pathetic, loser feel important - even if for just one moment.

Well Forum Nanny, I am afraid this is where we must part ways as I have found the solution to my issue (no thanks to you) and I have not the time to bicker back and forth with menstruating pansies.

I wish you luck on your eternal quest to feel relevant...who knows, maybe one day you could work your way up to being a meter-maid?

·
Registered
781 Posts
Wow...Forum Nanny is back yet again. You are like a dingle-berry that even sand paper could not wipe away.

You're suggestion of putting the woofer in a tiny enclosure is hack - I despise hacks. The whole reason I founded my company was to give customers an alternative to the hacks like you who saturate the industry. That is also completely beside the fact that I did not ask for alternative suggestions, I asked how to build a crossover - so your answer was crap from any angle, light, or direction you could look at it from.

Now this is rich - you scour the forums looking for someone who has broken one of your unwritten forum laws like a nerdy, whistle-wielding hall monitor and I am the douche bag? I think your lack of having any hint of a meaningful existence may be clouding your judgement. (btw you wrote "douchebag" in all caps; were you screaming on the forum? Tisk Tisk... I think you may need to write yourself a detention slip) Hah, I only kid. I am actually glad to know that I could play a part in making a sad, pathetic, loser feel important - even if for just one moment.

Well Forum Nanny, I am afraid this is where we must part ways as I have found the solution to my issue (no thanks to you) and I have not the time to bicker back and forth with menstruating pansies.

I wish you luck on your eternal quest to feel relevant...who knows, maybe one day you could work your way up to being a meter-maid?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgzFPOMjiC8

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it is just alot easier if it is kept in one thread. you got replies, three different ways to accomplish what you wanted. pick one. if you have more questions, ask there.
Easier? For whom? I did not know sitting down typing on a keyboard could be made difficult. I think this forum is filled with more people looking to feel some sense of authority or importance than there are people willing to share knowledge.

C'mon dude, I am not trying to be a dick, but when I am bothered with such inconsequential nonsense, it really is laughable.

"pick one." - I did. Long before you came along, but thanks.

"If you have more questions, ask there." Again, thanks for such wise and insightful instruction, but I kinda already did that too.

Look, I understand that you guys might have been on this forum for a little while, but I am pretty sure that does not grant you any stock or ownership in the forum. I should mention that seniority means dick to me.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I installed a Kicker 6.5" woofer for a customer and am using the sub output from an XD700-5. The sub channel puts out 180W @ 4Ohms, but the sub handles only 150W rms so I have the gain set for a higher input voltage so as not to over power it, but amp only has a low-pass filter without any subsonic filter and these lower frequencies are killing this woofer.

I want to just add a capacitor to have a cut off @ 80Hz with an -18db to -24db slope. I have never built a crossover and I do not even know what type of capacitor to use in this application.

I need help from one of you SQ geniuses out there who has experience with building crossovers.
I want to help you, so to answer your question on capacitors, here is a link for a cap calculator. You want a first order butterworht 6db/octave. So enter your woofer impedance and the cutoff you want and it will give you the cap value
Passive Crossovers, Capacitor and Coil Calculator

and BTW a google on "low pass speaker crossover capacitor value" got me this first shot. So I wonder if you have made any attempt to research the subject.

However some forum members may read your post and find some issues with it that may suggest you may need additional help.
First, the difference between 150 and 180 watts is negligible when considering amp/speaker power handling. Adjusting levels is mainly used to make sure the volume of all your speaker/amps are the same accross the board, and not normally to prevent overloading a sub.

Second, we dont understand why you installed ONE 6 1/2 inch woofer. Is this a sub? If yes, it is supposed to play below 80Hz. If it is bottoming out then there is something else wrong with your setup. If this is a mid, then why just one?

Perhaps if you give us the model number of your kicker woofer we can help you better.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I want to help you, so to answer your question on capacitors, here is a link for a cap calculator. You want a first order butterworht 6db/octave. So enter your woofer impedance and the cutoff you want and it will give you the cap value

and BTW a google on "low pass speaker crossover capacitor value" got me this first shot. So I wonder if you have made any attempt to research the subject.

However some forum members may read your post and find some issues with it that may suggest you may need additional help.
First, the difference between 150 and 180 watts is negligible when considering amp/speaker power handling. Adjusting levels is mainly used to make sure the volume of all your speaker/amps are the same accross the board, and not normally to prevent overloading a sub.

Second, we dont understand why you installed ONE 6 1/2 inch woofer. Is this a sub? If yes, it is supposed to play below 80Hz. If it is bottoming out then there is something else wrong with your setup. If this is a mid, then why just one?

Perhaps if you give us the model number of your kicker woofer we can help you better.
Okay here is the scoop:

I just started my own company. We focus on high quality installation and fabrication - not so much on auto-sound. Why? Because I was not all that interested in auto-sound previously and only knew what I needed to know in that regard. Now that I have my own company and have more freedom to experiment and test things, I am starting to take an interest in auto-sound. That is the reason I joined this forum; the reason I just bought an oscilloscope; and the reason I am looking into buying a spectrum analyzer.

So anyways I get a customer with an '06 Wrangler. The Wrangler has a factory 6" woofer in the center console. She had previously taken her car to some hack shop to replace the factory woofer with a Kicker CompVT 08CVT654. The installer blew the sub. The shop then told her they did not have another 6" sub so they sent her across town to pick up an 8" sub. The installer absolutely destroyed both the factory enclosure as well as the actual console trying to fit the 8" and when all was said and done, her seat was hitting the sub ( the woofer normally sits behind a grill on the console firing towards the driver seat, but the hack mounted the sub on the surface and thus it was hitting the seat.

So she was not happy, the console looked like it had be cut up with a butter knife, the woofer sounded like ****, and she could not move her seat back and forth without rubbing on the woofer. She found my company on Yelp; got the old shop to buy her a new console and enclosure; I fixed everything and also installed 4 X 6" speakers in the front; a new Kicker 6" in the console; a 10W3 in the back, an XD700/5 which runs the fronts, rears, and 6"; and an XD300/1 to power the 10". The installation went flawlessly; she watched the entire time as I un-hacked her vehicle (she had the hack shop install amps previously which had been removed, but they left a rat's nest of wiring throughout). A couple of days later she left us a five star review on Yelp and even maxed out on characters allowed. The only problem? The little 6" is distorting on the low frequencies even with the gain set for the highest input voltage. The 5ch's sub output only has a low-pass filter which is set to 200Hz. Why? Because the little 4 X 6's don't have **** for mid bass and the 6" helps fill it in up front. As mentioned before, the woofer only distorts passages with lower frequencies, and I cannot send any less power to it, and I have no way of blocking those lower frequencies.

I spoke with a tech from Kicker and he recommended cutting it off at 80Hz - which is absolutely fine with me since we have the 10" covering that area. The little 6" fills in the mid-bass up front quite nicely - it does not need to be trying to play any less than 80Hz. Why did I want a -18db roll off? Because I wanted to play it safe and make sure we got it right the first time. I did not want to try -6db and still have enough amplitude at 40Hz to be distorting. -12 would probably be more than enough, but I don't care, I want to be done with the job and I want the customer to not have to worry about ever blowing the woofer.

My initial plan was to add a cap, which in my 8 years of installing, I had not seen anyone do. Now I know why, it is not that simple. Instead we have ordered the Kicker KX2 active crossover which I am sure will help me achieve what I want to do.

I know it is a "sub" woofer, but it cannot handle sub-bass frequencies. Don't care what the theories are or how it "should be" - the gain is all the way down; the **** distorts only when low frequencies are played; I am going to cut those frequencies off.

This lady is an awesome customer and she has already been through hell with another shop so I wanted to make sure I found the best solution to make sure she's happy. I came on here to do just that and instead I initially got a whiny little **** wanting to play forum police and flex his pathetic little nuts over the internet.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

If you read my post properly, you would know that I do not need a low-pass crossover, the amp has a low-pass filter; I needed a high-pass filter.

"I wonder if you have made any attempt to research the subject." - Oh I am sorry, is that another unwritten forum law? I must research a subject before asking on the forum? I was looking for information - I thought that was the point of a forum...ya know...people centralizing and sharing information?? (I think this is the third time making that point?)

·
Registered
244 Posts
the link has low pass and high pass calculations.
But you are being a PITA.. so dont expect any more help from me..
People are legitimately trying to help you but you just **** on us. Good Bye

·
Registered
7,408 Posts

You too huh.... bwahahahahahaha

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
" so dont expect any more help from me.. " Oh...my bad, I did not realize such condescending statements as "BTW a google on "low pass speaker crossover capacitor value" got me this first shot. So I wonder if you have made any attempt to research the subject.", qualifies as "help". If that is what you call help then you can keep it.

I have received some good pointers (minus the condescending undertones that your "help" was infused with) from other people and thanked them for it - evidenced by the "thanks" under my sn. So spare me the "nice guy" card; although your rudeness was much more subtle than that of Forum Nanny, it was still obvious.

What is funny to me is with all of your guys' unwritten forum bylaws that you seem to pull out of your ass whenever it is convenient for your narrative, you would think that actually reading the entire thread to make sure the original issue was not already solved before you decide to chime in would actually be a practical rule. I am referring to the fact that you decided to put in your two cents when I had already told Forum Nanny that my issue was resolved -
"Well Forum Nanny, I am afraid this is where we must part ways as I have found the solution to my issue". You would have found that little bit of info had you thouroughly read the thread before you decided to "help".

There are some cool people on here that simply share valuable knowledge with out trying to simultaneously feed their ego - you and Forum Nanny are not in this group. Don't get all butt hurt just because you got caught on it.

Now if I ever have another question and you happen to reply with "genuine help" then I will hapily thank you. I'm a nice guy - if you read my original post before Forum Nanny started PMS-ing on my ass, it is easy to see that I came here in good spirit.

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
Look, I understand that you guys might have been on this forum for a little while, but I am pretty sure that does not grant you any stock or ownership in the forum. I should mention that seniority means dick to me.
I see your stay here being quite short if you keep bringing this kind of attitude here.

Relax, read and ask questions without getting your panties in a bunch and you learn a lot here.

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
in response to your post in the other thread that got closed. before i even posted on that page did you once give a full system detail? no. i went off the information you provided. which wasn't much but a bunch of disrespectful comments from you about information ppl have given you. did i say i know it all no i did not. but i do know the way you run your mouth and the attitude you have, you won't get far on this forum. your more suited for that other place. as for factory enclosures what do you know about them? you said it yourself your not really into car audio. a factory enclosure usually isn't suited for an aftermarket sub. the specs are usually way different as the factory sub is ment to play different freqs from a dedicated mid/sub. you should give all the information so ppl can see the whole picture instead of coming off as an ass and talking down to someone who was working off the information you have given

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
Easier? For whom? I did not know sitting down typing on a keyboard could be made difficult. I think this forum is filled with more people looking to feel some sense of authority or importance than there are people willing to share knowledge.

C'mon dude, I am not trying to be a dick, but when I am bothered with such inconsequential nonsense, it really is laughable.

"pick one." - I did. Long before you came along, but thanks.

"If you have more questions, ask there." Again, thanks for such wise and insightful instruction, but I kinda already did that too.

wow, thanks for that. I will remember NOT to help you in the future. I think I gave you a very simple easy answer in the other thread. Trying to keep track of the same question in two threads is asinine. But whatever blows your hair back

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.