DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im goin to be picking up the seas excel W22EX-001 (E022) 8" magnesium cone woofer, W12CY-001 (E0021) 4.5" magnesium cone woofer, and some ribbon tweeters or other tweeters for a home setup of mine. Question is what volume should i use for these drivers and what xover points ect? I have no experience with these drivers and wanna try these out just wanna make sure its all setup right. Also will these drivers handle some power (300-400rms per side) ? i will be building the passive xovers myself just need the points where these drivers will work best. Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Crossovers are VERY install sensitive. Unfortunately you would have to experiment.

A peak, dip, or higher distortion in an anechoic measurement may not show up in the car. On the otherhand, you may have other issues such as low end resonance or cancellation at certain frequencies.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
These will be used in the home. I was thinking about 500hz down on the 8's, 4.5's from 500-3500hz, and the tweeters 3500hz up. Pervo im going to build passives for the set. I have some sweet amps to use for these (dj amps) that are super clean and put out a ton of power. I guess ill build the passives to those specs and just see what they sound like.

·
Registered
271 Posts
djdilliodon said:
These will be used in the home. I was thinking about 500hz down on the 8's, 4.5's from 500-3500hz, and the tweeters 3500hz up. Pervo im going to build passives for the set. I have some sweet amps to use for these (dj amps) that are super clean and put out a ton of power. I guess ill build the passives to those specs and just see what they sound like.
are they crown?
as for finding exac t/s that is doable but id suggest reading "THE LOUDSPEAKER DESIGN COOKBOOK" they have it on parts express
also covers passives too

low pass crossover is detirmined by -6db @45 degrees point
(-3 is a luxury)

high pass is a result of Fs, as mentioned before, one octive above fs
two octives is ideal

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
From my experience, it might be worth your time and money to just go active.

I've done quite a few passive crossovers, and it's a pretty steep learning curve to get it right. You'll also need a hefty supply of parts to implement any test designs you might have.

At minimum you'll need to measure impedance, phase, and fr of your drivers mounted in the enclosures. Choosing a box volume, deciding on whether or not you want to add baffle step compensation, tweaking your impedance compensation circuit, etc. and it can get more involving than you'd want if you're starting from scratch.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hey Don! Nice to see you in these parts!!

Try look at Dave Ellis's design, the 1801b. www.ellisaudio.com He is the nicest man I have ever dealt with and he has a chat forum that will answer some of your questions. His 2-way is said to sound extremely nice. If you really want to build your own passives make some for the low-end. That is what I think I will do.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.