DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone. I've been searching and searching through these boards, only to find a TON of very good information. Great! If I say something stupid, forgive my ignorance; I'm a noob. I'm trying my best here. Also, English is not my best language, so please try not to go over my head.

Anyhow, I'm having a bit of trouble finding what I need. My car is a 1999 Mazda Miata. These things are tiny! I want to install an amplifier in the trunk tunnel area. If you're not familiar with Miatas, all you need to know is that I have 5.75" to work with in height; the other two dimensions aren't really limited at all.

I only need 2 channels, but I'm not opposed to 4. I would prefer 75+ watts RMS. I'm not sure what speakers I'll be running, but most likely the Alpine Type-R component set. I want to try to keep the price at around $100 for the amp, but don't mind spending a little more. I don't mind buying used equipment.

The first obvious choice is the Arc KS125.2 mini amp. It's perfect, except it costs way too much. The second choice is the Elf audio E2125X, clone of the Arc version. Maybe if I find a used one, it'd be in my price range. Finally, there's the Vibe LiteBox2 that's only available from Sonic Electronics: also a clone of the same amp. It's $140 shipped; so far the winner, but I'd really like to spend less.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

·
Registered
866 Posts
Maybe the arcs used. Audio System twister f2 190
I may have 5 for sale, it's a small class a/b that's made by same guys as mosconi.
I bought them from mark brooks but may not use them in my install.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe the arcs used. Audio System twister f2 190
I may have 5 for sale, it's a small class a/b that's made by same guys as mosconi.
I bought them from mark brooks but may not use them in my install.
I can't seem to find any non-German info on those amps... :(

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
a little confusing on what you have to work with.. are you saying 5.75" in height as in tall, and length and width is open.. Then pretty much any amp will fit that area, unless im mistaking what your actually saying...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just picked up a Rockford-Fosgate PBR300X4 from cartoys.com for $159 shipped on a price match. This thing rocks!!!

I have a BMW Z3 Roadster and am using an Elf E2125X bridged for a sub amp and the RF 300X4 to drive my mids and tweets separately in active mode. Everything fits in the stock amp locations (Z3 comes with separate sub and front amps) and is totally stealth.

The RF amp runs hot, though, so if you get one, make sure there's adequate space for airflow around it. Since my stock location is under carpet trim in the trunk I'm going to have to add a small fan in that area just to make sure things don't get too hot. If you're only driving two channels then 2-channel mode may keep the heat down.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
a little confusing on what you have to work with.. are you saying 5.75" in height as in tall, and length and width is open.. Then pretty much any amp will fit that area, unless im mistaking what your actually saying...
Suppose you have three dimensions: long ways, short ways, and thickness (this way, we avoid the h/w/d confusion). The thickness of the amp is how fat it is when you grab it - usually about 2-3 inches or so for most amps. This can be any size, really. Then, unless the amp is a perfect square, you have one dimension longer than the other. I have about 24 inches to work with for the long dimension, but only 5.75" to work with in the short dimension. I hope that clears it up!

Just picked up a Rockford-Fosgate PBR300X4 from cartoys.com for $159 shipped on a price match. This thing rocks!!!

I have a BMW Z3 Roadster and am using an Elf E2125X bridged for a sub amp and the RF 300X4 to drive my mids and tweets separately in active mode. Everything fits in the stock amp locations (Z3 comes with separate sub and front amps) and is totally stealth.

The RF amp runs hot, though, so if you get one, make sure there's adequate space for airflow around it. Since my stock location is under carpet trim in the trunk I'm going to have to add a small fan in that area just to make sure things don't get too hot. If you're only driving two channels then 2-channel mode may keep the heat down.
Where did you price match it to? I think I may be able to add a silent PC fan into the installation area to exhaust the heat. Pretty sure I have some laying around, anyways.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Where did you price match it to? I think I may be able to add a silent PC fan into the installation area to exhaust the heat. Pretty sure I have some laying around, anyways.

Thanks guys!
There was an automatic price match on cartoys site when I browsed the page for the R-F amp. I'm not sure where they price-matched to, but if you can find a lower price on another site I think they will meet it or beat it.

The Z3 has one-way vents in each corner under the bumper so I am planning on wiring up a PC fan or something like that over each vent as an exhaust fan using relays switched via the amp turn-on lines to activate them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just realized the PBR300X4 is not bridgeable. If I wanted to run a small 6.5 inch sub (or two, one of each remaining channel), such as the Kicker 10CVT654, would I be okay? Not looking to explode my neighborhood with bass, just a little bit of low end fill. I'm not even entirely sure if I'll want subs yet, but keeping the option open is a good thing.

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
ok, makes sense... I know you have a low budget, but if it ever increases look at the Audio System X-ion amps i have listed on here, small super SQ amps..

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just realized the PBR300X4 is not bridgeable. If I wanted to run a small 6.5 inch sub (or two, one of each remaining channel), such as the Kicker 10CVT654, would I be okay? Not looking to explode my neighborhood with bass, just a little bit of low end fill. I'm not even entirely sure if I'll want subs yet, but keeping the option open is a good thing.
I'm sure that power won't be the greatest if you use the remaining channels for low-end fill, but it would definitely work. Each set of channels (front/rear) has its own selectable filters (low-pass, all-pass and high-pass) as well as gain controls so you could set it up that way.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I don have the specs near me but JL Audio's XD amps are pretty tiny and not too expensive.

·
Registered
722 Posts
infinity kappa

i just got a kappa5 and it's pretty small.

iirc powerbass has some smallish amps too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
^^ stills, the Infinity Kappa is 7 and some inches. Need to be below 5.75 :(

I decided I kinda want a 4 channel amp for future options.

So far, what I've gathered is that the "winner" is the Vibe Audio LiteBox Stereo 4. Unfortunately, these are nowhere to be found. Someone is selling a Massive Audio NX4, which will fit in my space (5.5 inches! yay), in the classifies section... but it's a tad too expensive.

Also, does anyone have any comments about the Alpine Type-R SPR-60C components? That's what I'm thinking of getting, unless anyone has any better suggestions.

Again, thank you all for your help :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I ended up going with the Massive Audio NX2 amp and CK6-V components. Won't be doing any subs. I expect to put them in some time mid-January.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts