DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter saved up and bought her first vehicle: a 2007 toyota corolla. She is a great kid, and I am very proud of her. She has asked if I could help her out with some audio upgrades. The car already has a JVC KW-V 240BT double din head unit that is pretty good for EQ and crossovers . It is able to do three way and time alignment. I also have a spare Soundstream RN5.2000d along with an old adire brahma subwoofer that I can donate to the cause. I have spare wire and deadening too, so I should be all set except for the speakers. I am kind of leaning toward Morel Maximo components, but thought I would check in and see if I can find anything better than that for around the same price or less. I do not plan on adding any rear fill, and am open to going active as well.

·
Registered
7,285 Posts
You have the crossover flexibility, and amp channels to run active, to me it's a no brainer. Do you have a set budget? You can probably get some good deals shopping the classified section here for a pair of good tweeters, and mids. If you want to stick in teh $150 range, you're a bit limited, but I think you can still do better by buying individual speakers. You can buy some Dayton tweeters from Parts Express, right now they have a deal on their air motion tweeters, I've never heard them, but generally Dayton is a reliable brand, and they have plenty of options to choose between.

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
Plenty of budget sets for relatively cheap. The Morel is good bar to start with. I personally pity JBL GX components, PPI iON 5 channel, and a Peerless 10" in my daughter's Camry. Despite keping it passive, the low tier Pioneer double din deck still had time alignment, decent crossovers and a 13 band EQ that was good enough to get it sounding great for a daily driver.

Keep it simple... it'll be just fine.

Man & Machine... Power Extreme!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I looked around a bit on parts express and found some interesting options. Specifically I was looking at Dayton Audio DC160-4 6-1/2 and Tymphany XT25SC90-04. Looks like it would be under 100 total. Would this active setup be comparable to the morel ultimo components?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yea. It would.... But.... Not really... Like... Ugh. Its not the same kind of house sound or voicing.

But let me recommend something. Ask her what kind of sound she likes. And have her pick out her parts. You don't get to do tons of stuff with your kids as they get older. This is once of a lifetime thing you can really make a solid Imprint on your kids. Make sure she helps out with the install and sound deadening.

Girls in Car Audio is a joke minus the chick from Mantly labs for most people. I would have her listen to the tweeters first. Women hear things different. Their ears are not tuned the same way men's ears are. There are tonal difference and voicing women prefer over men.

Arguably, women can pick out sounds better as well as color, so these things are kind of important to the overall end user if it is a female.

Women tend to have much more higher end response so that if you want to know if a tweeter sounds harsh? Ask a woman who is a musician. You want to voice it with a softer , smoother tweeter. Ever seen a woman Gush over a Sharp sounding metal dome tweeter? Nope.

What I would also recommend is that she really helps install the sound deadening. Teaching her why it matters makes her a more picky consumer of things she will purchase in the future. And when they try to Woo her with :OHHH PRETTY"" It's not going to hold water. :)

Also, I know some people will Mash on this, but women don't really like our crossover points. The lower a tweeter plays for example is REALLY going to be a BIG thing for young women ears. Hence, why many like the Bose house sound.
Guess who buys them? :)

Make sure to make her pick the parts she wants to use. And do Audition with HER fav songs. YOU may HATE the Gummy bear song. Or whatever she likes to listen to.. But its what it is. :)

For a while, my step Daughter was into SCREAMO... Pyle COmponents for YOU!

I'm about to upgrade my Sister New ride. And I have to do it with using the smallest Subwoofer I can. I am about to build her a custom set of Magnepans. A custom AMP and a few other things. But it all has to be plug and play. So Bluetooth etc.

I would also ask some other folks here what their Daughters prefer without having to copy the Hive mind. Some women just copy other people. Very few actually make choices based on what THEY LIKE. So watch out for that. Arguably, the more different the components are that sets her apart from from other cars is what is going to make her initially happy. But long term, its why women seem to just never seem happy. So make sure you give her the time to really choose the sound she likes. She will want to change her mind in time. But to start her out, make sure she has the choices to pick what sounds best for her. You might go through a few sets of parts. But do it. It will be a life long memory, and a warm moment between the both of you that's better then any christmas present.

In fact, have you ever wondered why the Philips Line of tweeters are so Quiet? Or why they almost seem muted to listen to and not very sensitive? GUESS WHO DOES THE R&D and listens to the system before they go out the door?

That Ribbon tweeter is there for a reason. Hence why so many women prefer the sound of Electrostatics in a nice damped room with lots of stuff to quiet it. They can hear the shrill from lesser drivers more often than men can.

Hope this helps out in your build. I would go with the custom drivers so that she can listen and pick and choose.

GOod luck Dad!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would love to audition some speakers, but I haven't been able to find much outside of Best Buy around where I live. She does really like the Hertz mille components I have in my car and does not care as much for the infinity kappa components in my wife's car. We are already planning on doing the install together. She is very mechanical and has been helping me out with various projects since she was a toddler. She already knows how to change the oil and brakes in her car by herself.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts