DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright need input from people with real word experience, or if anyone that's good with WinISD or Bassbox to post some comparison graphs of my subs no and the ones i trying to decide on would be amazing. OK, currently my setup is a 2012 F150 with the rear seat lifted a little over 2 3/4". I have 4 American bass Hawks 10s model number 1044s 1500w RMS rating. Box is 5 ft3 after sub displacement .016 ft3 each and port displacement, cant remember those numbers off hand but its (2) 6" areo ports , 1/8'' pipe wall thickness, 17" long.
Also I still have some of the storage tray where the jack storage is on the passenger side i can remove and add to my box so really if it would mean a big increase I'll cut that side oiut to and modify the box. I daily this truck and still have a kid at home. 1 freashman in college and 1 that just started kindergarten LMAO, so i cant pull the back seats out just yet.

Here are the options im looking at 4 dc audio elite 10s 1.0 cubic foot ported per sub, 3 level 4 dc audio 12's 1.5 cubic foot ported per sub, 3 dc audio elite xl 12 they also take 1.5 cubes, all these DC subs take very little airspace compared to most other brands. Im also open to any 2 higher power subs or whatever, some of my brands i love are DD, FI car audio, Deaf bounce, avatar STUs and SVL's. I'm open to suggestions, i just knew that you can show me on a graph, i know its not 100% but being able to see them on the same graph as my 4 hawk 10s it will help me decide. I'd like to stay in the $1500-$2000 price range for the subs but willing to go up or down on that for the right setup.the front of my box is only 14" tall so nothing bigger than a 12.

This is my electrical system, I've installed a single run of 0 gauge OFC from alt to 80AH AGM under the hood, the dual runs of over size zero gauge OFC from alt to 64ah Headway bank, then from there i have 000 gauge OFC i plan on running from lithium bank a few feet as power and ground wires for my amps. Those 2 amps are 4k watt rms each, i can strap them for 8k at 2ohm or wire them individually for 4k at 1 ohm each.

I also need to see if the 2 0 gauges combined are more copper core diameter than the 000, im going to use the bigger of the two options for the long alt to bank run.

· Registered
2,542 Posts
I'm working on your models... in the meantime, since you say the 1/0 is oversized, is there anyway you can get the actual diameter of the wire (measure the cross section) to get a pseudo accurate calculation?

· Registered
2,542 Posts
Just to make sure we're on the same page, the American Bass Hawk 10-44 are in 5 cubic foot net with 2 x 6" x 17" long ports?

DC Audio Elite don't come in a 10 - did you mean the XL SPL for the 10s?

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just to make sure we're on the same page, the American Bass Hawk 10-44 are in 5 cubic foot net with 2 x 6" x 17" long ports?

DC Audio Elite don't come in a 10 - did you mean the XL SPL for the 10s?
Sorry got called to go back ofshore and relieve somwone that had a family issuesub. Never got a chance to measure the wire.

Yes that's correct, I currently have 4 Hawk 1044s that are in a elnclosure with a net airspace of 5 cubicfeet.

I played with the following options on WinISD but I'm not 100% on understanding all the graphs, like transfer function magnitude. The 4 xl elite 12s looked to be the winner to me even keeping the box the same size and then even more so going to 5.8 net airspace.

Here are my options
1- Yes, the (4) DC 10s would be XL SPL, keeping my enclosure as is
2- (3) DC XL Elite 12s, keeping my enclosure as is.
3- (4) DC XL Elite 12s, (2) options 1st keeping my enclosure as is. 2nd option adding to my enclosure making the new net sirspace in the 5.8 to 6 cubic foot range.
4- (3) level 5 DC 12s, this is my least favorite option
5- open to any other suggestions as far as subs go in the 10" and 12" size range.

· Registered
2,542 Posts
Sorry got called to go back ofshore and relieve somwone that had a family issuesub. Never got a chance to measure the wire.
Not a problem, just keep in mind that in DC current flows on the entire area of the wire but it also depends on distance.
Here's one example based on Blue Sea Systems Ampacity Chart:
Colorfulness Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern

So at 25' Length 3/0 is 200A and Dual 1/0 is 240A.

Yes that's correct, I currently have 4 Hawk 1044s that are in a elnclosure with a net airspace of 5 cubicfeet.

I played with the following options on WinISD but I'm not 100% on understanding all the graphs, like transfer function magnitude. The 4 xl elite 12s looked to be the winner to me even keeping the box the same size and then even more so going to 5.8 net airspace.

Here are my options
1- Yes, the (4) DC 10s would be XL SPL, keeping my enclosure as is
2- (3) DC XL Elite 12s, keeping my enclosure as is.
3- (4) DC XL Elite 12s, (2) options 1st keeping my enclosure as is. 2nd option adding to my enclosure making the new net sirspace in the 5.8 to 6 cubic foot range.
4- (3) level 5 DC 12s, this is my least favorite option
5- open to any other suggestions as far as subs go in the 10" and 12" size range.
So 5 cubic foot net airspace with 2 x 6" x 17" ports equals 38Hz tuning which is way too much airspace and way too high of port tuning for anything but a one note wonder:
Rectangle Slope Font Screenshot Parallel

My point in this post is to ask: Are you simply looking for that maximum boom with no extension to be able to absolutely shred your interior panels and vision or are you looking for more extension so the bass response doesn't fall off a cliff below port tuning or trying to move into the bottom feeder club. All of the subs you've mentioned so far are full on SPL subs designed to handle extreme power and be very effective in a limited range.

The box size you currently have is more than enough for these subs but you are going to be woefully underpowered. The DC Audio XL Elite 12 is rated for 4,400 Watts Max and I would suggest you need at least that per sub if you're going to run SPL type subs (unless you plan to have 4H raves.) Even at 32,000 Watts they're not reaching xmax.
Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Screenshot

Your current Quad Hawk setup hit's xmax at about 4.5kW and for a straight up swap to get the same sound profile you have now, the Triple Elite 12 is almost an exact duplicate with double the power handling and nets you a little under +2dB output at double the power. But if you are looking for more extension (SQL type setup) then changing the tuning down to 28Hz instead of 38Hz nets you a much more Quality Alignment.

SPL Comparison based on Cabin Gain for a Quad Cab Pickup.

Quad Hawk in Green on 4,500W
...all the rest of these are on 8kW
Triple Elite 12 in Red
Quad Elite 12 in White at 28Hz
Quad SQL12 in Yellow at 28Hz
Triple Brahma 12 in Dark Blue at 28Hz
Triple Dayton 12HE in Pink at 28Hz
Rectangle Slope Font Screenshot Parallel

This is just the 1st run and there are many more subs to consider - but that's enough for now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts