DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys so this spring I'm having an install done on my Car
Fronts - Focal Utopia 3 way no cross block
Amplifiers - Focal FPS 4160 (need more :p)
That's what I have so far and a Kenwood deck.
Planning to run active with either bit one or Mosconi 6 to 8 just cant decide which to go with. anyways to the question
I realize this has been beaten down with multiple threads but for the love of me can't figure out what to do so ill join the madness

What I'm looking for is bass that is clear and reproduced as close as possible to the original. But can get loud enough if i wanted to show off a little! as that is half the fun of having a system. I've looked at multiple subs and cant decide.
some of my options I've looked at include these

JL 12W6*2
JL 12W7*1
IDMAX 12"*1
SSA ICON/XCON 12" *1 ( EITHER OR )

these are the main contenders i have kinda ruled out the Ultimo Morels12's, Audison Thesis Bass10 (cant get it :p) and Hertz audio Mille 12's as it seems they are discontinued.

Ive looked around and I've seen the W6 lined in a few high end cars ferrari,Bently's ect but just wonder if they only get these cause of the shops that do the instals.

Any helps or flat out this sub will suit your needs would be greatly appreciated as I'm going insane. Space is an issue so i have to stick to a 12" as i only have 15.5inches of height

Thanks In advance for help !

·
Registered
140 Posts
I wouldn't rule out the hertz ml3000's. I have a set and love them. They are accurate and have balls. Only thing is they are power hungry.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldn't rule out the hertz ml3000's. I have a set and love them. They are accurate and have balls. Only thing is they are power hungry.
Its not that i ruled them out i just have no way to get them according to my local shop they are no longer available :(

·
Registered
921 Posts
Ive been running a 15" Xcon for the last year...love it so much I just bought another, delivery any day now. Definitely an SQL sub.

Only downside is the wait time, website says 21+ business days, but both my orders have been closer to 35-40. But, well worth my wait.

Ive had older model JL subs which were ok, but im hooked on these Xcons. :)

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
If you want loud with excellent SQ definitely the JBL WGTi 12. Those things positively pound when you crank up the power but have some of the best SQ I've heard hands down. One of the things they're really known for is having very strong midbass kick. I don't think there's another subwoofer with as wide and flat a frequency response as those.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for some of the suggestions I'm gonna take a look at the diamond audio is the d9/tdx an older sub as its not listed on there site ? And as for the W12gti i do not plan to buy it ive looked into it and was ruled out long ago. one thing i dont get is why if there are more options do people stick JL in there higher end cars vs others is it just the shops that do this ? and as for the XCON sq wise would u say it was comparable to your JL's ?

·
Registered
921 Posts
as for the XCON sq wise would u say it was comparable to your JL's ?
not even on same level. The Xcon plays most any genre faithfully and can still bring the pain.

To be fair, the JLs I had were the w3v2...not their top of the line by any means...

The price of the Xcon was the deciding factor over a JL w6/7 (have heard them at shows, but not worth the extra $$ to me). I also love the SSA is made in USA, being youre in Canada thats a moot point. :D

·
Premium Member
9,231 Posts
Illusion Audio Carbon C12 XL.

/THREAD

;)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey took a look at the Illusion Audio Carbon C12 X That sub looks pretty good do you happened to know were to purchase that if i decide to i live in Canada So online retailer would probaly be needed thanks

·
Premium Member
2,103 Posts
hey took a look at the Illusion Audio Carbon C12 X That sub looks pretty good do you happened to know were to purchase that if i decide to i live in Canada So online retailer would probaly be needed thanks
Contact B&B Electronics. They are the Canadian importer, and have a dealer network in place, and always growing, for Canada.

Also...maybe Unbroken can chime in as he as had a w6, ultimo 12, and the C12XL all within the past like 3 months.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys will do :) looking into them what is the difference between the Illusion Audio Carbon ND-12 and the Illusion Audio Carbon C12 X is the C12 more towards SPL and the ND-12 more towards SQ ?

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
Selecting a sub and choosing an appropriate enclosure for it are equally important imo. Heard really cheap crap sound good (within obvious SPL limitations) and really expensive drivers sound like crap because of crappy application and no processing. Sub performance show itself when subject to increasing excursion. I like the idea that you should get as large drivers/box you can fit and use them in vented configuration to control excursion around Fb. The best sub stages I've heard all used big drivers in vented/TL configurations. I use professional drivers for efficiency and low distortion, PA drivers usually have very extended frequency response as well.

Since you can't fit larger drivers than 12" I'd get multiple drivers and do IB (if you got a sedan that is). You won't need much power to drive the subs then. Take a look at Peerless SDS 12, fairly efficient driver. With some luck you could push in 4 of those beside eachother. The Xmax won't be much of an issue when you have a large combined cone area.

http://www.parts-express.com/peerless-830669-12-paper-cone-sls-subwoofer--264-1118

·
Premium Member
9,231 Posts
They are pretty good aren't they. :)

I wonder who's car you heard them in. :rolleyes: :laugh:

OP, I would suggest PM cobb2819 to see if there is a dealer nearby.
Sorry to disappoint. You weren't my first. ;)

Thanks guys will do :) looking into them what is the difference between the Illusion Audio Carbon ND-12 and the Illusion Audio Carbon C12 X is the C12 more towards SPL and the ND-12 more towards SQ ?
I believe the ND-12 is an older subwoofer from before Orca took over the Illusion Audio brand. In my opinion the C12 XL is an awesome SQ subwoofer with the capability for some serious output. The standard C12 (inverted motor) is also an excellent SQ subwoofer with less output. In terms of "shallow" subwoofers it probably ranks near the top of the ranks.

And I agree with Cobb, Unbroken is probably one of the best people to comment on the matter. Given his recent subwoofer history. :D

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Sorry to disappoint. You weren't my first. ;)
Perhaps...but how many did you listen to that were actually tuned well? ;) :rolleyes: :p

And I agree with Cobb, Unbroken is probably one of the best people to comment on the matter. Given his recent subwoofer history. :D
I went from a W6 to the C12XLs. Granted it's a little bit of apples and oranges since I went from a single W6 to dual C12XLs, but my wife also has a single C12XL in her car and for me, the effortless low end extension is what sets it apart IMHO from the others. However, I agree with Hanatsu's comment that a proper enclosure and tuning is likely more important than the sub itself...but all things equal, I have dual C12XLs in about 2.0 cu ft. It is a pair of top performing SQ subs, with plenty of output when I want or need it.

·
Premium Member
9,231 Posts
I thought Diamond was still producing the HEX Pro? In any case, they made a pretty big deal about all of their new products for their 20th anniversary and CES 2014. One of those was an anniversary edition HEX Pro subwoofer with "copper finish theme."

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Contact B&B Electronics. They are the Canadian importer, and have a dealer network in place, and always growing, for Canada.

Also...maybe Unbroken can chime in as he as had a w6, ultimo 12, and the C12XL all within the past like 3 months.
anyway you could get unbroken to give an opinion lol new to the forum so dont kno many people :p

1 - 20 of 55 Posts