DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience taking a 79xx faceplate apart? I have it unscrewed and popped apart, but it gets stuck on the volume knob.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Post a pic of what model you have. 79XX can be a lot of different models. 7901 through 7909 is fairly easy. Is it one of those?

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
^^ x2

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nope, knob doesn't come off w/o a lot of force, I tried again. The knob is pressable and clicks, but when you pull the face up, it catches on the knob and I'm not able to press it anymore. It seems to be the base of the knob, not the actual knob itself.

I tried Alpine support again and they were even more useless today than they were last time I tried (1month ago or so). This guy didn't even try to look it up, he just told me to mail it in and pay $105 for a tiny piece of plastic. He's on crack if he thinks I'm going to do that.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
Nope, knob doesn't come off w/o a lot of force, I tried again. The knob is pressable and clicks, but when you pull the face up, it catches on the knob and I'm not able to press it anymore. It seems to be the base of the knob, not the actual knob itself.

I tried Alpine support again and they were even more useless today than they were last time I tried (1month ago or so). This guy didn't even try to look it up, he just told me to mail it in and pay $105 for a tiny piece of plastic. He's on crack if he thinks I'm going to do that.
Yeah tech support is not going to tell you how to take apart something. You gotta talk to someone that is actually doing the repair work. Here's a pic of an Alpine that has an encoder with a switch on it like yours. Looks like they use a very tight fitting pin.

View attachment 9199

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That looks very similar to mine, but I can't find any pin. It's hard to see b/t the 2 case halves :(

·
18,681 Posts
Bump for Dave.

I actually am interested in this, too. I’d like to replace the 7996 Amber LED (assuming it even has one) with blue. Not sure if this can be done easily or not. But, I’d like to know.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
Bump for Dave.

I actually am interested in this, too. I’d like to replace the 7996 Amber LED (assuming it even has one) with blue. Not sure if this can be done easily or not. But, I’d like to know.
That's what the guy was doing in the pic I posted, so it can be done at least on whatever model is in that pic.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts