DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to build an insert or find some way to make this console functional again with my new install.

Last weekend I finally got an aftermarket head unit to work in my 2014 Honda Accord EX-L Hybrid. The challenge with the 2013-2015 models is that if you remove the factory head unit you lose all the functions of the upper display - it goes dark. So I condensed the factory head unit into a smaller package and dropped it behind and under the new radio.

It is filling the space in the console that used to be filled by a nice little storage pocket with a flip up door and some empty space below. Here's what the stock vehicle looks like

(can't post pics or links yet, Google Honda Accord 2014 EX-L to see)

In these pics you can see (lower door and pocket removed) the hole that was left and the original factory unit. Note that sometimes I'll need to attach the faceplate to unlock the factory head unit and make changes to vehicle settings, like TPMS, clock, etc. Need access any time the battery is disconnected and reconnected.

What I need advice on is how to fabricate an insert that would cover all that up that would be simple to pop in and out. Would also be cool if I could attach a wireless phone charger to the insert so I could simply lay or stand my phone up in there and have it charge.

Any ideas on how to get started?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
first make decision on the material you gonna use for this task - MDF/Fiberglass/ABS,...and on finish - fabrics, CF, CF imitation, Brushed ALU imitation, leather, vinyl, paint.....
You can attach it to the base with small neo magnets - it will hold it in place without a problem and it is easy to remove if needed...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts