DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pdx f 4 amp powering type r components up front and coax in the back. I also have the alpine 149bt head unit.

I have no subs, so would I leave the amp crossover on full range? Or set up a high/low range with proper frequencies? What's really weird and frustrates me is I swear everytime I drive my car, the speakers are Playing differently than the night before..for instance, Thursday night I thought I finally had them adjusted how I wanted, volume got so loud and the bass hit like I had a sub..then today, they don't get nearly as loud and barely have bass. I didn't change any settings or anything..I did notice that the woofers are playing vocals and other things. Is this normal? I just want everything to sound real well and get loud.

One more thing, As I'm still not even sure. The
Crossover only has 2 outputs, does one go to tweeter and other to woofer, then woofer to amp? If the crossovers are at -2db, what does this mean for crossover settings on amp or head unit?? And what is the 5th male Prong with a weird rubber
Coating that is right by the positive and
Negatives on the woofer?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Well to start off you should leave your amps crossover alone, turn them off. The coax and the component speakers you have should already include passive crossovers preset for the speakers, crossing them through the amp will only hinder their performance.

Send two channels directly to your coax speakers from your amp towards your rear. Lower the gain a bit for the rear so that they will play lower than your components in your front(Note do not clip your speakers setting the gain to high). This will make for a better front stage.

Next, connect your other two channels to the passive crossover that was included with your component speakers. Their should be two outputs like you mentioned, one goes to the woofer the other to the tweeter. Are your tweeters mounted anywhere specific like on your dash or a-pillar? I suppose your woofers are mounted on your doors? The crossover's -2dB is for the tweeter. Depending if you want to bring out the tweeters more you can increase it to 0 dB. Remember to set your gain on your amp correctly before making any changes to the tweeters dB via the crossovers. Clipping is the enemy.

Am not sure what your are talking about when you mentioned the rubber prong. What woofer are you mentioning your coax or your components?

·
Registered
187 Posts
you may find it useful to use a highpass filter on the components as well as on the coaxials. but i think your head unit has the ability to filter those signals for you. i would start with HPF=60hz for the fronts. you may find you want to increase the value of the hpf for the rear speakers. too much lower midbass coming from behind you can throw off your front stage imaging.

another option, one you may not have considered yet, is to power the rear speakers off the head unit (wired to your radio harness) and bridge the connections for the components up front to the amp.

the third terminal on the woofer is to bypass the built-in lowpass crossover. it's shown in the manual. the way the external crossover is configured, it acts only as a tweeter high-pass filter. if you were running the woofers and tweeters separate from one another (ie actively crossed over), you would wire to this terminal on the woofer to enable custom crossover selection. as is, you should probably leave it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
you may find it useful to use a highpass filter on the components as well as on the coaxials. but i think your head unit has the ability to filter those signals for you. i would start with HPF=60hz for the fronts. you may find you want to increase the value of the hpf for the rear speakers. too much lower midbass coming from behind you can throw off your front stage imaging.
I agree and disagree. True, bass and mid-bass signals from the rear doors/deck do impede the front stage, but it is not wise to crossover a signal with another crossover as the slopes will compile. If you can send a signal with a bypass of the slopes then yes, but if not you will end up with a very steep slope depending on the already set slopes of both crossovers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts