DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vehicle: 2004 infinity fx35
Location in the vehicle: one seat folded down and box slid in long ways (thats what she said)
Space available (Length x Width x Height): 46 x 23 x 26
Amp make and model: Wolfram Audio W-3000.1 Class D Monoblock (3000 rms at 1 ohm)
Subwoofer make and model: Soundqubed hdc3.118 (1500 rms dual 1 ohm)
Subwoofer Size: 18 inch
Number of Subwoofers: 2
Type of Port (Kerfed, Slot, Aero, etc.): Probably aero, but open to suggestions
What type of music do you like?: Rap, hip-hop, r and b, one-hit wonders from bands like AC/DC
Is your goal SPL or Everyday Music?: 70% SPL 30% Everyday Music
Tuning Freq (Hz): A sticky on this forum says anywhere from 33-38 Hz, but soundqubed's website states 31 Hz so I'm not sure.
Volume : Soundqubed's website is very lacking in specifications for this sub, hence this post, but I'm assuming 6 cubes net per sub.

Questions:

#1 Anyone have suggestions for a box design for these two subs?

#2 Ive heard MANY mixed answers on whether or not you should have a divider between two subs. My main concern is if one blew, would the other blow too? And if I'm only supply the recommended 1500 watts to each sub, how likely is it that one would blow?

#3 What size diameter on the aero port? what size length? and how does one calculate the area of a port?

#4 Here is my attempt at a box design for the subs, what do you all think? I don't have any dimensions on the port because I'm not sure what they should be.

· Registered
1,027 Posts
build it with those dimensions and a 10" x 10" port, double baffle on top, and a little bit of bracing and you should be pretty spot on for 6 cu ft each and tuned close to 31 hz.

also, you might want to stick to the caraudio.com forum, this is mostly a sound quality forum. caraudio.com seems to be for the SPL fan.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
build it with those dimensions and a 10" x 10" port, double baffle on top, and a little bit of bracing and you should be pretty spot on for 6 cu ft each and tuned close to 31 hz.

also, you might want to stick to the caraudio.com forum, this is mostly a sound quality forum. caraudio.com seems to be for the SPL fan.
I definitely want the setup to be loud enough to remove all oxygen from the vicinity, but I want it to sound good to. That's why I said 70% SPL and 30% SQ. Does it matter where the port ends inside the box? As in away from sub or under sub?

· Registered
1,027 Posts
I remember when I was 16...

· Registered
1,027 Posts
I'm not quite sure I get ur reference, are you stating that wanting a system that is loud is for only young people? Cuz I'm pretty sure old people want it even more, you know, because of hearing loss.
no but stating that you want it to remove all oxygen from the vicinity is rather hilarious.
there's nothing wrong with just wanting to get loud. but running a pair of soundqubed 18's you can't really have much sound quality in mind. its just to get loud and thats all.

as far as the port, for what dimensions and setup you are limited to, place it facing the rear and a few inches from the bottom of the enclosure and mount the subs as far from the port as you can and you should be good to go.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no but stating that you want it to remove all oxygen from the vicinity is rather hilarious.
there's nothing wrong with just wanting to get loud. but running a pair of soundqubed 18's you can't really have much sound quality in mind. its just to get loud and thats all.

as far as the port, for what dimensions and setup you are limited to, place it facing the rear and a few inches from the bottom of the enclosure and mount the subs as far from the port as you can and you should be good to go.
I did not know that two 18's were mainly for SPL, I'm new to the whole audio thing. So I should have the port on one end and the subs on the other? That doesn't sound too astetcic looking but if it provides better sound quality then so be it. Thank you for your help.

· Registered
2,468 Posts
Will the enclosure be pushed back enough to be entirely in the trunk or will it be sticking out into the cabin area? Generally speaking it's not a good idea to have the subs near the center of the car, so if one is going to be right behind the front seats and one in the trunk it will probably sound fine but you'd be loosing out on some output.

pw is right on the port - a 10" diameter by 10" length will put your tuning right around 31hz. Port should be facing backward if possible (toward the trunk) unless there's not a lot of room between the port opening and the rear of the trunk.

You could use a divider and two ports (one per chamber), but i get the feeling space is an issue and doing that adds complexity and limitations on placement that are already not ideal. It is highly unlikely you will blow one of those subs unless you are really trying to by playing extremely loud material below 30hz.

The area of a port can be calculated using common geometric formulas: round port area= pi x R^2 (R = radius), square or rectangular area = height x width

· Registered
11,355 Posts
I did not know that two 18's were mainly for SPL, I'm new to the whole audio thing. So I should have the port on one end and the subs on the other? That doesn't sound too astetcic looking but if it provides better sound quality then so be it. Thank you for your help.
The only reason to chose a pair of 18" is for increasing output (measured in SPL)

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Will the enclosure be pushed back enough to be entirely in the trunk or will it be sticking out into the cabin area? Generally speaking it's not a good idea to have the subs near the center of the car, so if one is going to be right behind the front seats and one in the trunk it will probably sound fine but you'd be loosing out on some output.

pw is right on the port - a 10" diameter by 10" length will put your tuning right around 31hz. Port should be facing backward if possible (toward the trunk) unless there's not a lot of room between the port opening and the rear of the trunk.

You could use a divider and two ports (one per chamber), but i get the feeling space is an issue and doing that adds complexity and limitations on placement that are already not ideal. It is highly unlikely you will blow one of those subs unless you are really trying to by playing extremely loud material below 30hz.

The area of a port can be calculated using common geometric formulas: round port area= pi x R^2 (R = radius), square or rectangular area = height x width
the box will be long ways stretching from behind driver seat to about 10 inches from lift gate. probably puts one sub 12 inches from back of driver seat and the other 22 inches from lift gate

· Registered
3 Posts
Soundquebed on there site has all dimensions for multiple different numbers of subs and the sizes and suggested port areas if its 2 12s I would tune low cause the fs in those subs I believe is 26hz I know the hdx3 is and 3 cubes per sub is plenty with the 12s I tuned my box to 32 and its a monster 2 12s on 5000 rms stetsom vulcan does hair tricks in just a kerfed ported box 86 sq inches of port and only 2 cubic ft each

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.