DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First off, I would like to know about any SQ builds you have done in a Beetle, or ones that you have heard stand out above the rest.

head is a retro sound, any one have experience with their SQ? I really just listen to satellite radio so bypassing it is not an issue. Any tips on how to do this and have a volume control?

My budget is going to be limited to $800. I am looking for clean front stage with good mid-bass and slightly pronounced sub

I already read up at soundeadenershowdown so I'm expecting to put $200 into deadening for now just to get me by until another check comes along.

How will the rest of the money be best divided up?

My thoughts are to spend ~$50-100 on a 10" sub, ~$200 on amplification (not afraid to get a bargain brand for now as long as SNR, THD, and other important things are there), ~$50 for install, and the remaining $250 on front stage.

so if you have experience with old vw's or a suggestion for underrated equipment I'd appreciate it

p.s.
i have a sketch of the sealed sub and amp box i'm planning for the cargo area but can't post it cause i'm a newb here. 36"x9"x13" sealed box with the sub centered, two symmetrical plexi windows on either side showing the amps each suspended by chromed springs to the 4 or 8 corners, and lit by hidden white fluorescents. the outside will be black and the boxes dark red, i want to also cool the amps with computer fans front and back. using 3/4 mdf unless consensus thinks 1/2 is fine for a 10". i also want to make a custom grill from mdf using the classic ringed vw logo in case i ever need to temporarily use the cargo area or just show off the incredibly evident fact it's a vw :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
looking to do 100-125 Wrms to each front and about 300Wrms to the sub, the alt is only 75 amps so would a cap (or whatever the new style cap/battery combo is called) be in order?

instead of a full system do you think it would be better to spring for higher level fronts and forget about the sub for another time?

if i can stick with $250 for the 6.5" i'm considering the HAT Imagines everyone is mentioning

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well, I just posted a nice lenghty response for you and my browser killed it. (Expired Token).

Let's try this again.

I've been searching for all of this for a SQ build on my truck lately. Quad cab F150. Here's what I've come to find, and are some things for you to consider.

Front Stage - Your ideas for the HAT Imagine's seem to be right on the money. Best reviews ive seen on speakers lately. I'm ordering a pair myself soon!

Sub - I've found a lot of good reviewes on budget SQ subs, but for that $100ish dollar budget, it's hard to beat some. the Boston Acoustics G310 comes to mind and is what I purchased myself recently after a lot of research. Fits great in a 0.5 cubic ft box, but also sounds amazing in a 1 cubic ft box thats port tuned to 36Hz. I havent heard this with my own ears, just what's out there on the web on MANY different forums. (Been looking for months before I bit the bullet)

Amp - This is one I can't decide on. I've heard decent things about the Clarion DPX/APX series amps. I picked up a sub amp (Clarion DPX1851) on Craigslist lately. The front stage amp, not so sure. In your case, I've seen 5 channel recommendations along the lines of a Cadence 5-channel, and an Alpine PDX. (Cadence ebay link - HERE )

Anyway, that's all I got for now. Hope that gives you some place to start!

(PS - Install is the most important aspect. Good sound deadening too. Check out the Alphadamp sale today while its still in effect! That stuff is amazing.)

·
Registered
340 Posts
i saw a show car 60 something beetle yesterday in the shop of my installer as i had custom pillars made for my tweets.

it had morel tempo 5 inch coaxials in the kicks and a morel sub and amp hidden behind the rear seat. he was also using a retro head unit and had problems getting it to play clean. installer said his head unit was the problem.

the owner didn't want to install a modern HU in the glove though as he wanted no hidden secrets on his show car beetle. a modern HU could be your answer in the glove.. then the sub and amp behind the rear seats with a custom enclosure. then whatever you can fit in the kicks.

·
Registered
457 Posts
maybe mb quarts for amp? sonic electronix has great deals on their amps at the moment. otherwise that cadence 5 channel posted up there looks good, and woofersetc has a different cadence 5 channel (flash series) on sale for like $135 on the front page i believe. i'm not sure which is better, but they both look like great deals!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Kicker makes an excellent 5 channel. They can be had used for sub 200. check for a jbl 5 channel on Ebay, Harmon kardon sells refurbished regularly for sub 150. Great amps too, over had I've got over 2 years dull running strong

Sent from my LG-MS910 using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts