DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I understand what reflections and comb filtering are, though I could have it all wrong.

It’s kind of hard to wrap my head around what’s happening with the sound waves, and these kind of things often happen in parallel.

What is it called when some extended frequencies seem to sound louder and “ringy”?

I can get my system fairly RTA flat, but during music some notes, when played for a long duration, seem to get louder exponentially.

When the sounds come in short bursts it's not noticeable, but for example if a keyboard key were held down for an extended period of time, the note would seem louder.

This seems to happen ~ 2 kHz.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
What is it called when some extended frequencies seem to sound louder and “ringy”?
I think it's called "ringing" :)

Seriously, it sounds like a resonance with maybe some constructive interference added in, but it also sounds unusual. I would think your RTA would display it if it were a frequency anomaly.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I play a problem track while looking at the RTA I can see the "ringing" as well as hear it.

It really spikes up in an unnatural way.

I know its not in the song because it doesn't sound like that with my headphones.

unusual indeed.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
OOOOOH! Nevermind. You mean the the RTA picks it up, but only after the same note is played for a while? Then it must be a nasty resonance somewhere. 2k is a little high for that though. Maybe try deadening the door a little more.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
If I play a problem track while looking at the RTA I can see the "ringing" as well as hear it.

It really spikes up in an unnatural way.

I know its not in the song because it doesn't sound like that with my headphones.

unusual indeed.
exciting,

i think whats hapening is the driver is 'exciting' whatever its mounted too, and its all vibrating at the same freq.

driver and mounting surface vibrating at the same freq = more output.= rta will 'see' it.

i think ?

i have an in dash eq, when i get this annoying occurrence, i can always adjust some freq or other and get rid of the 'ring' 'honk' 'bark'

typically between 80 and 250 hz.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
exciting,

i think whats hapening is the driver is 'exciting' whatever its mounted too, and its all vibrating at the same freq.

driver and mounting surface vibrating at the same freq = more output.= rta will 'see' it.
typically between 80 and 250 hz.
Could a tweeter do that?

I was able to tame it by playing with crossover slope, crossover frequency, EQ.

I was really just wondering what its called.

I thought maybe windshield reflections are amplifying the sound. Can reflections do that? I know reflections can smear the image, but I'm getting a rock solid focused center image.

I thought maybe comb filtering is causing it. I read that comb filtering can cause cancellation, but can it cause amplification in certain frequencies?

To be more clear, pink noise doesn't cause this anomaly, only certain notes from certain instruments on certain songs :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think I understand what reflections and comb filtering are, though I could have it all wrong.

It’s kind of hard to wrap my head around what’s happening with the sound waves, and these kind of things often happen in parallel.

I can get my system fairly RTA flat, but during music some notes, when played for a long duration, seem to get louder exponentially.

When the sounds come in short bursts it's not noticeable, but for example if a keyboard key were held down for an extended period of time, the note would seem louder.

This seems to happen ~ 2 kHz.

Thanks!
Could be resonance like mentioned.

There are test CD's that play a single frequency at a time. play one of those and find the frequencies where it happens and then press with your finger around the speaker to see if the ringing goes away. If it does it is resonance in the driver/mounting surface.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.