DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could use some help with the setup of the front stage in my 2007 Toyota Tundra. I recently re-configured my setup and installed Rainbow Speakers and I am not happy with my sound. It is getting closer to where I want it, but my highs are very harsh and not smooth like I was hoping to get from a silk dome tweeter. I have tried a few things, but looking to see if you guys have some better ideas or if you think there are some specific options I should try first. Here is my setup. I have already sunk a lot of money in this so I am looking at a semi low cost option. Also if anyone has parts pieces to my MB Quarts I may be interested in getting those back into complete condition.

Current Setup
HU: Pioneer Avic F920BT
AMP: Zed Audio Leviathan(Ver1-Updated by Stephen)
Front Stage:
-Rainbow Profi CS256
-Doors are sealed and dampened
-Tweaters are in original location at top of doors
-Running passive crossover -3 db setting - Still way to loud and harsh
Rear Fill: I know its a preference :)
-Rainbow Sound Line SLC 265.25 NG
-Speakers and Tweeters located in stock door location next to each other
-Passive Crover in default setting (Using Profi Crossover to match crossover point)

Sub: JL Audio 13TW5-3 (13.5 Shallow Mount in Sealed Box)

Option 1: Install second amp and go active. Cannot biamp with Rainbow Profi Crossover, so would have to install second amp and go active.

Option 2: Replace Rainbow Profi Tweeters. Not sure what would be a good option here.

Option 3: Break out an old set of MB Quarts QSD 216 and try to ressurect them. I would need a QWD 160 driver and 2 QDT 25 tweeters for them or find optional set of tweeters to pair with them. I have never heard the tweeters for these, but they have good and bad reviews.

Option 4: Use MB Quart crossover only. Crossover points are similar and I can go - 6db on the tweeters. Also can biamp with these crossover if I decided to go this route.

Option 5: Sell the Rainbows and Mb Quart pieces and start over again. :)

Option 6: Suggestions please?????

·
Registered
274 Posts
Same truck, same tweet location (mine have slightly different angle then OEM) Using the Dynaudio Esotec tweets in mine.

Bit 1 or Bit 10 and active will help your prob.

~JH

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JH,

Do you have any quick links to write ups or posts one the esotec? Where is the best place to buy them? And would the be ok in a passive setup, maybe with the MB Quart crossovers to give me more flexibility on adjusting the level of the tweet?

·
Registered
466 Posts
JH,

Do you have any quick links to write ups or posts one the esotec? Where is the best place to buy them? And would the be ok in a passive setup, maybe with the MB Quart crossovers to give me more flexibility on adjusting the level of the tweet?
don't try this unless you know the crossover points for both crossovers (rainbow and mbq) because if the mbq is too low, you'll damage your tweeter; too high and your mid will get harsh.

active is likely your best bet, but try flipping the phase of one tweeter at a time, it helped me.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Serieus,

Appreciate the advice. I did check this and it appears they both have a crossover point of 2400hz. Just curious if anyone had any other reasons why I shouldn't do this.

·
Registered
38 Posts
i have a set of alpine SPS-610c and the tweeters were too loud. eventually, i changed my setup to active, and used a set of Y-splitter RCA cable to connect the headunit to the rear speakers.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nick I would love to here the Audison or Mosconi, I have never heard either one of these amps. I might have to try, even though I thought the ZED amps were fairly nuetral, I could be wrong since this is all I have ever run. I'll have to look around and see if there is somewhere or someone in Colorado that has one of these amps I can audition.

Try changing the Amp to a neutral one like Audison VRX or Mosconi AS.Using the same speakers,not at all bright.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i have a set of alpine SPS-610c and the tweeters were too loud. eventually, i changed my setup to active, and used a set of Y-splitter RCA cable to connect the headunit to the rear speakers.
tohdj may still have to go with this way, since I may not get the ability to fine tune things the way I want without going active. Trying to simply my system though so if I can stick with a single 6 channel amp that would be great, if not I am going to have to start looking at options. Especially since it would be terrible to have to buy another amp! :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update:

So I went ahead and installed the MB Quart crossovers with the Rainbow Profi speakers and I have to admit, it helped my system out quite a bit. The tweeters though, even though they are silk dome come across fairly harsh. So I ended up purchasing a full set MB Quartz QSD 216's in new condition off ofebay for $125 shipped. I had really good timing on the listing! I should get them in Wednesday and should be able to get them in by the end of the week. Going with a different component set might throw in a whole bunch of different variables and I heard the QTD's are tricky, but I am hoping of axis in the Tundra will make an ideal setup for them. I guess I will see. If they work out well I will probably be looking to complete my partial set or find another set for some rear fill in my truck. I don't think I will tackle that though until I can get the rest of it setup like I want it.

BTW I am still looking to complete my partial set. I would be interested in buying a single QWD 160 driver and a pair of QTD 25 tweeters to round out my other set. Or if something is interested in purchasing my partial set I might be willing to do that as well. However, I probably need to get an account and list them properly in the classified add.

Anyway thanks everyone for the suggestions and if you have any more ideas or tips and tricks with the MB quarts please let me know.

·
Registered
38 Posts
for my setup, i had recently replaced my Apline SPS-610C's woofer with an old set, and my midbass is now good. obviously, the alpine woofer has poor midbass.

BTW, as my tweeters are mounted on the A-pillars and they are closer to me than the woofers, i had reversed their polarities, and they sound less harsh now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts