DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, im upgrading my amp to 1000 watts and running 4 ga wire, im gonna need a new inline fuse, my amp manual says recommended 80amp fuse rating, should i put exactly and 80amp fuse or would it hurt to use a 100amp fuse? which would be better to use

·
Banned
2,276 Posts
Fuse the wire. Real 4awg can go 150amps. So anything 80-150 will be fine

·
Listener of Music
3,906 Posts
Lowest fuse that won't blow under normal use is best. That being said 125 max for 4 awg wire. The inline fuse protects the wire NOT the amp. 80 amp recommendation is probably only for all protecting the amplifier. I run a 80 amp fuse with 4 awg.

·
Banned
2,276 Posts
If the amp is going to blow a fuse won't stop it.
We use to get classed by fusing in MECA. I was getting 30 second runs from a 5000 watt amp on 35 amps of fusing.

·
Listener of Music
3,906 Posts
Then why do they waste money putting fuses in almost every amp? You may mean fuses in the wire.

But yeah we could get as much as 3 times the fuses rating in draw in short bursts ( I think the max was 10 seconds) during testing. The small fuses typically work faster than bigger ones. I am sure some brands work better than others as well.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Lowest fuse that won't blow under normal use is best. That being said 125 max for 4 awg wire. The inline fuse protects the wire NOT the amp. 80 amp recommendation is probably only for all protecting the amplifier. I run a 80 amp fuse with 4 awg.
so in dummy terms, a 100 amp fuse will work perfect for my 1000watt amp and 4 gauge wire? :p

is this a good inline fuse? In-Line Waterproof Mini-ANL Fuse Holder - Merchandise

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
anybody have their opinion on Knu Konceptz CCA 4 gauge wire ? cheapest ive found for what i need, and i live in canada so its hard to find good cheap wire, everything else has been 3$+ a foot,

·
Banned
2,276 Posts
Get at least OFC. Knu makes good wire. Check a welding supply place

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
I would fuse the 1kw amp at 80 amps, 60 amps may be better.

I have 3 amplifiers, 1/0 g wire, 150 A main fuse, two 50 A fuses for two 800W amplifiers , and a 60 A fuse for the 750W mono amp. :cool:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Get at least OFC. Knu makes good wire. Check a welding supply place
will it make that much of a difference ?getting the ofc is almost 3x the cost, and does the increased thickness of the CCA not make up for the conductivity? i just need to know if itll get the job done, its just a simple setup

·
Registered
411 Posts
Back in my db drag days ran the knu Cca and never had a issue. These were all builds based around an atomic 5k, cca is just fine.

You don't need lots of strands, just know more stands means more flexible. Welding cable works great just have to keep an eye on the ends, watch for corrosion over time.

You may also being able to find used welding cable on craigslist or whatever. I can often find it half price up here from when welding trucks do full cable change outs.
Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
hey, im upgrading my amp to 1000 watts and running 4 ga wire, im gonna need a new inline fuse, my amp manual says recommended 80amp fuse rating, should i put exactly and 80amp fuse or would it hurt to use a 100amp fuse? which would be better to use

Masonman95, is the 1000 watts amplifier the only one powering your entire system? If so, fuse accordingly with an 80amp fuse.

If you have 2 or more amplifies in your system, provide us with the information & we'll advise forward.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Back in my db drag days ran the knu Cca and never had a issue. These were all builds based around an atomic 5k, cca is just fine.

You don't need lots of strands, just know more stands means more flexible. Welding cable works great just have to keep an eye on the ends, watch for corrosion over time.

You may also being able to find used welding cable on craigslist or whatever. I can often find it half price up here from when welding trucks do full cable change outs.
thank you , great info, i will settle with the 4 gauge Knu Konceptz, 80amp fuse, should be plenty. i had a cheap boss "8 gauge" kit and oh my... what crap that is ... melted my inline fuse box and is more like 12 gauge..

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Masonman95, is the 1000 watts amplifier the only one powering your entire system? If so, fuse accordingly with an 80amp fuse.

If you have 2 or more amplifies in your system, provide us with the information & we'll advise forward.
just the one amp, thanks im gonna stick with 80 amps

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)

technically speaking, they say CCA 4ga is good for 100amps, my amp puts out [email protected] and [email protected] v, so it shouldnt even be running past 80 amps maybe a bit more, so CCA should be more than enough i do not plan on upgrading past 1000 watts, most JL amps are alos underrated, but this amp will NOT be at full power as it is gonna be used for 2- 10w3v3

·
Registered
411 Posts
Yep they do,It's larger over all which can make snaking it through tougher but at 4ga I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Banned
8,731 Posts
80A at 14.4V would be 1152W. Since I`m almost sure that you talking about sub amp I`d fuse it per manufacturer recommendations at 80A.
unless you planning to introduce higher load on that amplifier to squeeze more juice at the price of reliability.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
80A at 14.4V would be 1152W. Since I`m almost sure that you talking about sub amp I`d fuse it per manufacturer recommendations at 80A.
unless you planning to introduce higher load on that amplifier to squeeze more juice at the price of reliability.
im going for reliability ;) and going with the 80amp, so is that a way to find a average max power of this amp without a bench test? :idea: just times the amps by given volts and compare to their rated rms(1000), so it should put out at least 1100 watts at constant 14.4volts, just on average numbers here nothing perfect.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts