DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend and I have decided to build a sound system for our get togethers. But we don't want just some home theater system. We want to build our own, using car speakers. Our only dilemma is powering them. We thought we could just power it all with car amplifiers if we could convert the power from 110 volts to 12 volts. However, I cannot find the right converter for such a thing. If someone can help me find the right converter or come up with a different idea on how to power everything, please let me know. Thanks!

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
you dont really need a "convertor" just a 12V power supply. computer supplies, linear brick supplies or bench supplies work.

the trick is getting a supply that make enough current. depending on how much power you plan to run, it can be 100 amps easy. not enough current supply and the power supply will brown out.

you can use a supply and a battery to help with those heavy draws, too.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
It will be much less expensive to buy equipment designed for home use than to buy the appropriate power supply to power the 12v stuff.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I use a battery and Sears battery charger to rock what I use in the garage. Works perfectly. If I am rocking out loud, I set the battery charger to Auto 60 amp. It feeds the 4 channel and mono amp fine. If I am just adding some tunes, the Auto 2 or 20 amp seems to work fine as well.

Only reason I did it was I had all the stuff sitting there.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Adcom GFA 5300,GFA 535 etc...
These amps can run 2 ohm at moderate volumes and you wont have to hassle with all the 12volt conversions.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I use a battery and Sears battery charger to rock what I use in the garage. Works perfectly. If I am rocking out loud, I set the battery charger to Auto 60 amp. It feeds the 4 channel and mono amp fine. If I am just adding some tunes, the Auto 2 or 20 amp seems to work fine as well.

Only reason I did it was I had all the stuff sitting there.

For Simplicity sake I'm with Cubdenno here just get yourself a small battery [email protected] Walmart and get a decent battery and just hook your amp/amps to the battery and keep it attached to the charger on trickle unless you plan on going for long periods without using the equipment and you should be good to go.. At home I use a battery and charger and at work I use one of our bench variable DC Power supplies but if your not sure what you're looking for the battery/charger is pretty simple to set up and if you can find a good battery laying around you just need a cheap charger..

B~

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.