DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So feel like a total dum-bass with this, as I've never used anything but the RCA outputs from any of the probably 20 aftermarket head units I've owned, straight to an amplifier, and then to speakers, done.

But talking with the tech guy art Parts Express, he asked, "Why dont I just use the low level speaker out puts from my HU, back to the DSP that I'm looking at ? Okay, that's fine... I found the low level output plug for my deck (which I probably through away, since I've never used one) on E-bay for $7. But I think I need one for the other end, going into the DSP, correct ? But will that plug be the same ? And do I need to solder in all 97 wires (okay, I think its like 12) between that plug harness, and the input plug harness for the DSP ? ....and that pile of wires needs to be like 18 ft to snake around the side of my cab, and back to my DSP which will be near my amps....

OR, what if I just stuck with the RCA's which are already ran, but only used the front left / right output for my mids/highs, and my mid-bass signals, and the subwoofer outputs ? It actually has a left and right sub out, which is kind of weird, but whatever ?

The thing that had been messing with me, is that I have always used all 6 RCA outputs from my deck, back to my amp, and the DSP only has 4 inputs. But I guess I technically only need 3 inputs, for the DSP to sort everything out, and make 5 outputs for me, right ? Those 5 channels would be, ch. 1 and 2, for left/right for mids/highs. Ch. 3 and 4 for left/right mid-bass, and Ch. 5 for subwoofer.

I'm trying to make this all as simple as possible, but obviously I want to keep max SQ, so what is going to work best ??? Low level speaker outputs which need to be ran all the way back, and plugs for both ends ? OR, 3 of my current 6 RCA cables into the DSP, to make 5 out ?

Edit: OR, how about only using two of the RCA out puts, for full range left and right signals, and letting the DSP sort out everything into 5 channels, including the sub woofers ? ?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Edit: OR, how about only using two of the RCA out puts, for full range left and right signals, and letting the DSP sort out everything into 5 channels, including the sub woofers ? ?
That right there^^
Clean and simple. I definitely had to re-wire my brain a little bit when I added a DSP. But just one clean full range signal into the DSP is all you need. Then route that into as many channels as allowed. I have the Dayton wired with both signal coming from RCAs and speaker level inputs. My experience is that I get the best sound from the RCAs.
If you are thinking about the Dayton you can download the app on phone or PC to check out the software first.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
407 Posts
Just keep in mind that if you only use 2 input signals and use rear speakers, you will lose the ability to fade front/rear from the head-unit.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
low level speaker outputs? Low level are RCA, speaker leads are high level. I'm using 2 channels high level speaker leads into my Helix P-six DSP and it works great.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That right there^^
Clean and simple. I definitely had to re-wire my brain a little bit when I added a DSP. But just one clean full range signal into the DSP is all you need. Then route that into as many channels as allowed. I have the Dayton wired with both signal coming from RCAs and speaker level inputs. My experience is that I get the best sound from the RCAs.
If you are thinking about the Dayton you can download the app on phone or PC to check out the software first.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
TY for confirming that. That was totally an afterthought. Your right about having to rewire my brain 😀 lol
On the one hand, it's one more piece of equipment to have to hook up, and to deal with, but on the other hand, instead of using some X-over features from the deck, and some from the amps, or from both, I can just turn all of that stuff off, and do everything right there in the DSP.... And have a much better visual of it all, as soon as I get it hooked up to a laptop.
Honestly, I'm already less intimadated about the DSP. I think I got this 🙂

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just keep in mind that if you only use 2 input signals and use rear speakers, you will lose the ability to fade front/rear from the head-unit.
That's okay. My rears are only for mid bass anyway. I never change the fade... Or should I call it, the balance between my mids/ highs, and my mid-bass. I just set it and forget it.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
low level speaker outputs? Low level are RCA, speaker leads are high level. I'm using 2 channels high level speaker leads into my Helix P-six DSP and it works great.
TY. I always get that mixed up 😀 lol
I should just say, RCA's vs. Direct speaker outputs.

·
Registered
407 Posts
TY for confirming that. That was totally an afterthought. Your right about having to rewire my brain lol
On the one hand, it's one more piece of equipment to have to hook up, and to deal with, but on the other hand, instead of using some X-over features from the deck, and some from the amps, or from both, I can just turn all of that stuff off, and do everything right there in the DSP.... And have a much better visual of it all, as soon as I get it hooked up to a laptop.
Honestly, I'm already less intimadated about the DSP. I think I got this
Exactly - in my opinion, a DSP actually makes all of this easier in that you control everything from one spot - and can control it all from the drivers seat (via laptop or mobile app if the DSP supports one) - where you can actually hear the differences real-time as you make the changes. Much better than running back and forth to the amp to change LP/HP filters, gains, etc. :)

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
If the HU has 6x RCAs, I would run 6 RCAs back.
While making you own is somewhat a pain, at 18' getting 6 colours of Magomi cable and 6 pairs of Neutrik ProFi RCAs might make sense.

If you don't need 2 then don't put the ProFi ends till you need them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts