DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So feel like a total dum-bass with this, as I've never used anything but the RCA outputs from any of the probably 20 aftermarket head units I've owned, straight to an amplifier, and then to speakers, done.

But talking with the tech guy art Parts Express, he asked, "Why dont I just use the low level speaker out puts from my HU, back to the DSP that I'm looking at ? Okay, that's fine... I found the low level output plug for my deck (which I probably through away, since I've never used one) on E-bay for $7. But I think I need one for the other end, going into the DSP, correct ? But will that plug be the same ? And do I need to solder in all 97 wires (okay, I think its like 12) between that plug harness, and the input plug harness for the DSP ? ....and that pile of wires needs to be like 18 ft to snake around the side of my cab, and back to my DSP which will be near my amps....

OR, what if I just stuck with the RCA's which are already ran, but only used the front left / right output for my mids/highs, and my mid-bass signals, and the subwoofer outputs ? It actually has a left and right sub out, which is kind of weird, but whatever ?

The thing that had been messing with me, is that I have always used all 6 RCA outputs from my deck, back to my amp, and the DSP only has 4 inputs. But I guess I technically only need 3 inputs, for the DSP to sort everything out, and make 5 outputs for me, right ? Those 5 channels would be, ch. 1 and 2, for left/right for mids/highs. Ch. 3 and 4 for left/right mid-bass, and Ch. 5 for subwoofer.

I'm trying to make this all as simple as possible, but obviously I want to keep max SQ, so what is going to work best ??? Low level speaker outputs which need to be ran all the way back, and plugs for both ends ? OR, 3 of my current 6 RCA cables into the DSP, to make 5 out ?

·
Registered
369 Posts
You only need full range left and right to make all the outputs of a dsp. If you want fade, use both fronts and rears to the dsp but be sure they are set up to be full range from the head so you can create sub channels out of the dsp to the sub amp.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you F150. Yea, I think I was overcomplicating this whole thing. I was watching va couple videos on setting up DSP's and it looked pretty straightforward.

Might be back after I get one, to ask more questions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts