DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 92 3000gt that I am currently trying to improve my audio in. I just installed a JVC KD-R740BT head unit.
I am doing this a piece at a time and just trying to get better. I would like to do a front component set next so that is what I am trying to figure out

I was told I could run some mb quart Onyx onx216 speakers off of the head unit alone. These would be in the doors and tweeters in the dash speaker locations.

I understand that using an amp will be better but I am not prepared to do that unless it is mandatory at this point. I am not ruling out an amp in the future but I just want to generally improve sound quality.

I do not listen to my music super loud nor am I interested in having the most awesome system ever created. I just want better sound.

Also I would like to have someone recommend speakers for the rear 6x9 locations as well. I have been told to concentrate on the fronts for quality and then just use the rears to compliment the sound.

Again at this point I would like equipment that can run off of my head unit and possibly be upgraded with an amp at a later date.

Thanks so much for your help

·
Premium Member
9,235 Posts
I'm not too familiar with the 92 3000GT, but many cars would benefit as much from amplified factory speakers as they would with aftermarket speakers powered off of an aftermarket head unit. Being that old, it may not be the case with a 20 year old factory speaker.

That being said, I would try and bump your budget up a little bit and take a look at some nicer 6.5" components with high sensitivity. The Pioneer TS-D1720C and Polk DB6501 come to mind. Not too far outside of the ONX216 price that you mentioned.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts