DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all, finally got tired of my stock terrible sounding system/ have some funding now to finally upgrade the system in my M3. the car is a perfect low mile example(70k) of what an M should be, garaged and only taken out on nice days. my local dealer is a elettromedia rep and dd rep. I already have 165xls in my tahoe and absolutely love them. I am somewhat of a sq listener while getting loud and sounding good doing it.

my amp choices are as follows.

2 hertz hdp 5 channels in a left and right configuration running a bi amped 3 way and 2 8's or 10's

2 hertz hdp 4 channels running left and right biamped or fully active with processor or p99rs and a ep1d or dd m1c for bass duty(already have).

3 hertz hdp 4 channels in l&r fully active with l&r sub.

1 voce av 5.1k running bi amped 3 way.

which out of these setup and why?

my speaker choices are also from audison/ hertz, but here is where I am not in the loop is my dealer says it is not worth putting 6.5 midbass drivers in the kicks due to being way off axis. and that building kick panels for the car would be the only way to go for that kind of install. I am going to be using the stock locations as much as possible and do not want to hack up the car. and if not using kick panels need to find the most bass heavy 5.25. my dealer recomended the hi energy 5.25 woofer or the hybrid clarus 5.25. so my speaker choices are as follows.

audison voce k3 kit with crossovers and either hi energy 5.25 or hybrid clarus 5.25

hertz mille 3 way with kicks built.

which of these and why?

my headunit is either going to be pioneer dex-p99rs or kenwood kiv-701 or xc995.

subs i am pretty lost on at this point because i love my idq 12s in the truck so much and cant see myself going backwards, either 1 or 2 8's or 10's but i am pretty loyal to streamline audio here in vancouver so i dont know which woofer to go with from the manufacturers they carry either from hertz/audison hybrid audio, or dd. also any suggestion on where to put sub(s) in car greatly appreciated thanks guys. TJ.

·
Super Moderator
5,227 Posts
This: 2 hertz hdp 4 channels running left and right biamped or fully active with processor or p99rs and a ep1d or dd m1c for bass duty(already have).

Because processing will be necessary to extract the highest level of SQ out of mostly stock locations.

And this: hertz mille 3 way with kicks built.

Because you can always buy replacement kicks if you sell the car and they will sound amazing if installed right.

Subs: I think Hybrid has subs coming out soon. If not soon enough then the ML2500.

Don't know where to put them but I'm sure the shop can give you some ideas.

I know what it's like to want advice before buying, but I recommend trying to listen to these speakers in a similar car/speaker locations; ask the shop to get you a demo, they have to know someone or have them themselves. With that said, every option you listed will sound good if done right, some just have slight advantages over the others.

·
Registered
4,780 Posts
I'm not sure what would be bad about the 6.5's in the stock kick locations (far forward, facing the center of the car, in a solid location / baffle) playing from 63Hz to 250Hz? I have seen several E36 installs with this set up (actually envious of this choice versus the doors of my E46).

I 2nd the P99 choice, and I 2nd the ML2500 sub.... buddy has that sub in his 135i, and it sounds superb.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
would i run into any depth issues? am i able to run the stock kick panel? i know that kick panels would be better for everything but i could always add those in the future I am trying to keep total cost under 3k but if i go over a little i dont care.

are these new hertz amps supposed to be the best d class out right now? how do they compare to the jl hd? thanks TJ.

·
Registered
866 Posts
You can definitely run a 6.5 the size of the clarus in an e36

I have also done dls rm6.2's with very good results both under the stock grills

I still don't get people saying kicks NEED to be on axis. Most speakers are designed to play off axis and putting them on axis can make them better, BUT it doesn't mean off axis sounds like crap.

I'd try them behind the kick (they will fit) and go on from there.

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
Limited range for the kicks (up to 200Hz), won't be a problem. The 6.5", heck even a 12" would still be omni-directional since it's beaming much higher in freq.
I'd go kick panel (since you can) and find a 6.5" that fits

Kelvin

1 - 9 of 9 Posts