DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

Ive recently decided to make the switch to zapco processing via zapco DC.

I need some help figuring out how to wire this correctly. Ive tried to research, but the threads on the various zapco transmitters is mind numbing.

Im going to use my factory HU, which has balanced line level outputs, which are currently spliced to RCA's, and are balanced. Which zapco piece would I use to convert the balanced RCA's to symbilink cables?

OR, would it be better to re-splice the HU outs to symbilink cables for seperate Front/rear and sub signals?

My other issue is that my HU puts out less than one volt, is the slb-u the correct line driver, or is there another? Does Zapco make a seperate line driver that can handle multiple inputs?

Thanks in advance, im so confused by the slb-u, slb-tp4, slb-t, sldin-t..etc.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
It would have been best for you to use the SLDIN.BTL-F to splice into your OEM signal then straight into Symbilink then into the amps. The SLDIN.BTL-F has has adjustments on it to boost your voltage. As for how many you need, I would say as many as the amps you have. You can use the SLB-U to control your subwoofer amp separately if you wanted to, not needed though

Hope that helps :)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I called zapco, because I thought I could do that, and they said I could not use the SLDN Rca to symbilink converter because my rcas were already balanced.
(Im referring to the converters that come with the amps)

Right now, I am under the impression that the slb-u is what I need, and I just have to splice the symbilink ends to the HU outs for the best results, 3 cables= 3 slb-u's. Another acura member helped me with this. I just want to make sure there is not an easier way with my existing set up.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I do feel that this is one of the downfalls of Zapco. Why are the connections so complicated?

I understand the symbilink and its benefits, but why not make it easier to use and figure out what is needed when.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
I honestly didn't think they are hard to use, especially whenyou go through an authorized dealer to help you utilize what is best. That being said the "new" website sucks in helping you figure out what is needed

·
Registered
138 Posts
Only problem is that there is no dealer in the city the size of Seattle. Im not sure why they have no shops here. There was back in the day, but none today. SO, now im left with trying to figure out the proper symbilink cable to use.

The web is great, but many have spliced their cables to make them work for thier particular application. I just want plug and play.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Plus Symbilink cables and converters are ridiculously expensive.
A three foot din cable for $44!?
I bought a Zapco amp but the expense of installing the thing keeps me putting it off.

·
Registered
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Custom Trail Boss Crew Cab
1,970 Posts
Plus Symbilink cables and converters are ridiculously expensive.
A three foot din cable for $44!?
I bought a Zapco amp but the expense of installing the thing keeps me putting it off.
You can use any 6 pin mini din cable. The ps2 din extension cables work just fine.

I have 4 dc amps and only one actual Zapco din cable and 3 ps2 cables.

I bought mine at Fry's elec but they sell them at any computer store plus on line and I have even found these at Goodwill from time to time as well. At GW they are like 2 bucks or less lol but are usually m/f and not m/m.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks that's exactly the kind of info I was looking for!
Any idea on converting RCA outputs to female din?
I know there's probably some transformer needed for the conversion, but I've got a soldering iron, any schematics available?

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Lash, purchase a Zapco DSP-6, this'll solve most of your problems & improve sound quality. Since the news release of the DSP-Z8, price has dropped dramatically on the DSP-6. You should find it economically cheaper by now.

·
Registered
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Custom Trail Boss Crew Cab
1,970 Posts
Thanks that's exactly the kind of info I was looking for!
Any idea on converting RCA outputs to female din?
I know there's probably some transformer needed for the conversion, but I've got a soldering iron, any schematics available?

Did it not come wit the converter? Each of mine came with the symbilink piece just not the din cables except for the one I got from a different vendor. That is the only reason I even have the one actual Zapco din cable. That vendor sent me a long one for free even after knowing that I went with someone else for the other 3 amps I bought. If I needed more of these amps I know who I would go to that is for sure lol.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Oh! Well that's a good question! I bought th amp (5 channel) almost a year ago and never opened it! (Too many exclamation marks!)
I'll have to check tomorrow when I'm sober ... Happy New Year!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts