DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, first real post and I need your help! I am in the hunt for a decent 12 sub. I have a Dodge Ram standard cab and have a center console box - sealed with .95 cu ft of space, downfiring. It will be powered by an Audiobahn 1,2 and 4 ohm stable amp 800x1 max, 400x1 rms. I want something that sounds good but can bump if needed. I have an xtant 4.4m amp running diamond audio 6.5 hex up front and alpine type r 5.25's in the rear. I had this setup in my old car (passat) before the truck except I had 2 solobaric 15's the Audiobahn was pushing. I have a budget of $200. I have been out of the game for 5ish years and it seems no one can give me a good answer. Every shop I go to, their sub is the way to go....TIA

·
Registered
26 Posts
A widely-available sub that I would choose for that application would be a JBL P1242. It requires ~1cu.ft. sealed and need 600w rms (obviously 2ohm here). It's 94db efficient, so it's nice, natural and responsive. I'd check one out, just check to see if it's massive surround-frame would fit your app.

·
Registered
578 Posts
A widely-available sub that I would choose for that application would be a JBL P1242. It requires ~1cu.ft. sealed and need 600w rms (obviously 2ohm here). It's 94db efficient, so it's nice, natural and responsive. I'd check one out, just check to see if it's massive surround-frame would fit your app.
I wouldn't put a current line Power Series JBL 12"(closer to a 13.5 in surface cone area) in a 1 cf sealed box. Might want to model that sub. It's going to need well over a cube. Try closer to 3 cf. The "p" model in which you speak of is no longer in production.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I have a mint Premier tsw12prs that needs 1 cube sealed and is very efficeint. Sounds phenomenal and i'm only asking $100 plus actual shipping. Shallow mounting too....Do a search,nice sub

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have a mint Premier tsw12prs that needs 1 cube sealed and is very efficeint. Sounds phenomenal and i'm only asking $100 plus actual shipping. Shallow mounting too....Do a search,nice sub
good deal :)

·
Registered
380 Posts

·
Registered
5,224 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
if your looking for an idea place try Woofersetc.com the online car audio super store, the largest selection at the lowest prices! they have a wide range of woofers. i have heard great things about elemental designs and they seem to be popular here. also checkout Madisound Speaker Components | Assisting speaker builders for more than 25 years.. i have a rf p3d210 which is a 10" sub and it plays well. don't forget kicker brought back the classic solobaric round drivers too.

the solo classic is nice needing around .88CF... i havnt seen any on ebay 12" anyhoo... and if you could get that less than 200 w/o shipping i would be impressed...10" on the other hand you could get for around 150-160ish

i havent personly heard them but ive heard there a good sub esp for the low air space needed..... i saw on the form somewhere its a bunch of bs tho buy the old "D series"? anyday..

^kicker basicaly took an old sub line and slaped a new name and price on it.....

ive heard some of those elemental designs and liked them(surprisingly the bestbuy out here actually carries a few displays!)

im still learning so listen to them ^ light years beyond me....if you could tweak your airspace any it would make many more drivers available ^.^ that i can tell you

·
Registered
31 Posts
You could try a CSS SD12, with a Qtc of 0,8059 it will do with 0,9ft^3.

It will also fit you budget and is supposedly well built as well.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
I owned that sub Foreman is selling, Great seller by the way, in the exact box you speak of. I have it in my ram as well. I second that sub all day long, and at that price it is a steal. It can bump when you need it and it is one of the top 3 subs on my list of all times for sq. I am purchasing a solo classic this week to try out because I loved the old ones and still have the hope that they will be similar. The JBL P series is still available and is recommended for 1cube but it does provide much better results in 1.25 and up. I owned one for a while and it is a fantastic sub that does not get enough talk time. A ten of that series might do very well in that box. Just build a new baffle for a ten and add a spacer to the mounting. They do pound and sound very natural doing it. Bottom line is you have a ton of options. For the $ the prs would be really really tough to beat, and yes I am biased to it:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Maybe a Kicker CompVR or CompVT? Both have min at 1 cu ft, but some stuffing can help. CSS would be good also.

Have you considered going to a 10, due to the space limitations?

·
Registered
28 Posts
You might want take a look at the DIYMA 12. You can find more info in the classified thread. I am looking at doing 2 of them. They take 500 watts in .5 cu ft. I need to say that I haven't heard them but read the reviews and they sound just what I am looking for. You can get them from npdang on ebay for $150 shipped. They seem amazing from what I am reading.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The DIYMA 12 can be had for $100 shipped right now. Check the classifieds. However, depending on how much "bump" you're after, the DIYMA may not be the way to go. Transparency was priority #1 when npdang designed the DIYMA. Just do a thread title search for DIYMA, as there are plenty of opinions and reviews on the sub. On the other hand, for $100 shipped, I don't see how you could go wrong. I went ahead and bought two.

·
Registered
76 Posts
If you are after the ultimate in sound quality, the Stereo Integrity Mag woofers are outstanding in 1 cu ft. boxes...only 5 1/2" deep as well

1 - 14 of 14 Posts