DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so here goes, this is going to need input. This is going to be going in my 85 GTI, so far all i have is shok and knu wiring ready for audio molestation of a classic car.

Heres a list of what i have:
(4) 5" no name cheap woofers.
(2) 2" no name tweeters.
(1) 10" custom built subwoofer.
(1) MBQuart 4 channel
(1) Eclipse head unit, 3 way active with time alignment. Edit: Also has an amazing equalizer i might add.

Heres what i just ordered:
(4) 6.5" JL audio woofers
(2) 4" JL audio mid ranges
(2) 1" JL audio silk dome tweets
(4) passive crossovers to tie it all together.

I plan on getting:
AQ 1200 for the sub
Crossovers for the cheap stuff.

Your turn:
How should i work everything out? Do the JLs on HU power and the cheapies on amp power? Phase each corner together and time align them that way? Shoot up suggestions, this should be a trouble shooting session, where no idea is bad. Think of something, post it. No name calling, no trash talking, every idea is beneficial.

My goal:
I want to use everything on the list, i think having 3 way passive in all 4 corners would be pretty sweet ( even if the rears are sharing 1 way:p).

Have a surround sound, TRUE SQ experience, that is able to keep up with a sealed 10" on about 1500rms. Time aligned, RTA'd etc. I don't know exactly what to call whatever it is that i want. But when i had my eclipse 2 way front 1 way rear with the 10" sealed was when i was the happiest.

I like music all around me, not just in front. When i listen, i want to have to look for the music. It also may just be me... but when i had my eclipse done almost to my liking (refer above) it sounded like the high pitch singers' voices were in front of me, and lower pitch were behind me, with music all around.

I want that again, but better this time.

If anything doesn't make sense ask. Consider this the planning stage, and we all know how important (and how confusing) it can be.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
So you plan on running 19 different speakers or just 8?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
15, the JLs up front, cheapies in the rear, sub. Lots and lots of glass work. I love hatchbacks.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Jesus. This is going to be a nightmare to tune. So many speakers.

IMO you're better off not using the cheapo speakers at all. Since you already dropped cash on the JL stuff, just use that and get it right.

I'm a complete novice tuner, so for tuning help, there is a good thread somewhere on this site that details how to tune step by step. Let me know if you have a hard time finding it, I will try to dig it up.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

IMO you're better off not using the cheapo speakers at all. Since you already dropped cash on the JL stuff, just use that and get it right.

I'm a complete novice tuner, so for tuning help, there is a good thread somewhere on this site that details how to tune step by step. Let me know if you have a hard time finding it, I will try to dig it up.
I have read a few dozen tuning threads, and i think i have a good understanding of whats going on.

And if i only use one setup then how am i going to get the all around effect that i want?

I have been siting on a lot of product for a while now, so i hope that shows my dedication and motivation to having a system that i am happy with. I don't mind waiting, and i sure as hell don't mind working to get what i want. I guess what i'm trying to say is i don't mind if its extremely difficult, if it is possible... i'll do it.

Since i'm not really happy with the "SQ" of the eclipse i may even incorporate the MS-8 into the GTI system, but thats a plan c type thing.

I just really want the music being all around me, and i have been steered towards coaxials, but in my eyes its going to be the same thing as putting the components on the same plain and same axis, with the crossovers (which is what i was planning).

Look at me ramble..:rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,054 Posts

^^this. you will be much happier with just puitting the JL mids, installed correctly, in the front stage and forget the rest. the phase, time alignment, reflections, etc are going to be horrific with that many speakers coming from that many directions. I know you read a bunch of stuff and think you can pull it off, but even professional installers would not attempt what you are doing, lol.

and without something like the bit-one, h700, ms8(which I am not a fan off, do some reading on how many failures and glitches that thing has) you are not gonna get a "surround sound" effect. it if just gonna be sound coming from every direction, arriving at different times and smearing what ever image you may have.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I have read a few dozen tuning threads, and i think i have a good understanding of whats going on.

And if i only use one setup then how am i going to get the all around effect that i want?

I have been siting on a lot of product for a while now, so i hope that shows my dedication and motivation to having a system that i am happy with. I don't mind waiting, and i sure as hell don't mind working to get what i want. I guess what i'm trying to say is i don't mind if its extremely difficult, if it is possible... i'll do it.

Since i'm not really happy with the "SQ" of the eclipse i may even incorporate the MS-8 into the GTI system, but thats a plan c type thing.

I just really want the music being all around me, and i have been steered towards coaxials, but in my eyes its going to be the same thing as putting the components on the same plain and same axis, with the crossovers (which is what i was planning).

Look at me ramble..:rolleyes:
I'm a little confused, so just to clarify...

You said you want music all around, but are you ALSO expecting a defined stage and a proper center at the same time? It will be easy to get "music all around" if you don't care about the stage and the imaging.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm a little confused, so just to clarify...

You said you want music all around, but are you ALSO expecting a defined stage and a proper center at the same time? It will be easy to get "music all around" if you don't care about the stage and the imaging.
Absolutely not. I DON'T want my staging on my dash and i absolutely do not want a center.

I must not have conveyed the message that i hate meca SQ format.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts