·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all :)

I have "same" problems with :
McIntosh Mc431, Soundstream 405, Harman/Kardon TC-400Q
car amplifier.

All three amps were broken when I bought them on ebay.

And I can not find the parts needed, in Sweden,

requires matched transistors says my repairman.

Are they something else that might need to be replaced as a preventive measure?

Can someone help me?

Greetings from Sweden

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Matched transistors? That's bad...
Anyway, element14 should able to help you... Does not sells you the highest quality parts, but still better than some shops that selling unknown quality parts...
I will rate them to selling second grade parts(rejected from industrial that buying in bulk)...

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
How about envisionelec...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, thanks for your answer!

Anyone else who have an opinion about this question ?

Give me an www adress if you can.

Br.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Try diyAudio - tends to be more technical than here. Some people there even sell matched transistors. Some people there might know what one or more of your amps takes for transistors, but if you could find out and post that info, then it would help them a lot. Most likely you'll have an updated part to use, but not just any transistor will be an equivalent. There are considerations that make certain transistors a proper replacement. Sometimes Google can help you find appropriate substitutions if you look up by the transistors you have now, and then you would just need to find a place to buy them matched... or you would just buy a bunch extra and test them out yourself.

·
Registered
183 Posts
You have a big store there.
https://www.elfa.se/elfa3~se_en/elfa/init.do?toc=18708&name=passive_components#toc=19199;
Choose Active Components / Discrete Semiconductors/Power FETs.
You can simplify searching by applied filter.
Edited:
Oh. I don’t know what he wants from you.
So far I hadn’t seen the shop selling matching transistors.
You can order a bit more items and it is task for your “repairman” to select groups of transistors with nearest characteristics.

·
Registered
6,375 Posts
Try diyAudio - tends to be more technical than here. Some people there even sell matched transistors. Some people there might know what one or more of your amps takes for transistors, but if you could find out and post that info, then it would help them a lot. Most likely you'll have an updated part to use, but not just any transistor will be an equivalent. There are considerations that make certain transistors a proper replacement. Sometimes Google can help you find appropriate substitutions if you look up by the transistors you have now, and then you would just need to find a place to buy them matched... or you would just buy a bunch extra and test them out yourself.
This, also search diy it may be there. Likely parts from the same run will work fine. Real matched parts are tested intensively and most amps do not require that, and it takes some work to do unless you are used to doing it/have equipment/etc., and of course have a whole pile of the parts to test. I don't recall any of those amps having a problem where they blow up all the time, fact is sometimes people abuse them or have a hot install and they don't last forever....but are repairable usually much more so than new amps. You may want to consider replacing the caps in them while you are at it, or testing them/etc.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
No doubt that diyaudio are very technical on that, but then the person that selling the transistors may be a scammer... diyma are also quite technical, but then is it free from scammers? Nope....
Back to the topic, matched pair won't be a matched pair if we don't buy in bulk and test it pair by pair....
By buying from the reputable electronic stores and by doing some important test, chances of getting matched pair parts are higher....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts