DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Jeep Wranger Unlimited (4 door).

I kept the factor HU and added a AudioControl LC6i going to a JL 900/5. This is driving a JL Stealthbox (13TW5-3), a pair of C5-650x in the rail just over and behind front seat, and a pair of C5-650 components in the front.

In Wranglers, the front main speakers face the passengers right at your knees. The JL tweeters are mounted in pods on the dash - factory crossed at around 4,500 Hz.

So, when you are the driver or the passenger, mostly all you hear is the sound from the speaker right at your knees.

I have purchased an MS-8 and am hopeful it will improve the sound overall, but I can't help but think it would be really helpful if I could mount some mids up on the dash where the factory tweeter pods are.

I believe I can fit a 3" to 3.5" and tweeter nicely, but not too much more.

I figure I could add a 2 channel amp to power the mids / tweeters with passive crossover thereby utilizing 7 channels of the MS-8.

Does this seem like a worthwhile endeavor?

If so would any of these be good choices? (Except the Infinity, I've gathered these from reading through this forum.)

Infinity Kappa 32.9cf
Hybrid Audio L3 or L3SE (A lot of you guys seem partial to these.)
Morel CDM-88
dynaudio esotar2 3.5" (This seems too pricey though.)

I am going for good clean, immersive, loud sound for driver and passengers.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
I think you can try a few other things first before going 3" on the dash..... (I am not a fan at all of fountek and if you have the top off......forget it! Thats not going to "keep up") First off, you can angle the mids up a LOT more, second thing I would do is get yourself a variovent or make your own and add it to those enclosures as well as deaden the **** out of it! That is going to make a world of difference in the system overall. Next I would either look to go active with different tweets.... something that will go lower, you can add larger tweets with very minor mod to the tweet housing. That should help raise your stage a good amount. I have speakers on my bar as well (only thing going right now till I finish my kicks and rest of planning) and I HATE IT!!!!!!! But if your just after volume, which we both know is needed in a jeep then rock on.
Your other option is to pick up a set of the tweeter pods from a salvage yard and use the brackets and tweet housing to house a coaxial in a custom pod to kill two birds with one stone? I am coming from a truck that had a pretty "advanced" system (and systems over the years) and now have an 81 renegade. When you plan for a jeep, there are certain aspects of a typical system you have to toss out the window. A great soundstage and total sq is one of them. We have WAY to many other issues to concern ourselves with. You can do some pretty great things with the newer models though. Focus on what you have first. I would adjust the midbass enclosures, go active with the ms-8 (or some other processor) then take another look at the situation.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is definitely the kind of input I am looking for.

I suppose in a way, I was thinking of it the same way. I was just assuming I need a bigger driver to get voices higher on the stage.

Do you have and recommendations on a larger tweeter? Depending on exact overall dimensions, it looks like you could cram up to almost a 2" in the factory pod.

How low of frequencies do I realistically need on the dash to bring the sound "up"? Pioneer has a 2.7" "tweeter" that runs down to 100 Hz - the TS-S062PRS. They might fit with a little bit of creative work.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
I dont think you will need to go to crazy..... or that low to be honest with you. In fact what you already own may work fine with some tweaking (active). Off the top of my head something like the dyn md102 would be good, but there are TONS more....start looking at dimensions and recommended xover points (alpine spxpro's maybe? and that xover is pretty adjustable as a comp set so you may be able to get it tuned great (again folks......with a jeep)without external processing. Plus that set is designed to be used in small sealed enclosures which is also nice and the off axis response is also pretty damn good so that will help as well.
I know a local guy on here went with the hertz mlk's in his (same platform as your jeep) with good results and actually has a build log going on it;) The thing to remember is you get to the point of diminished returns VERY quickly in our vehicles.... So again.....no need to get to crazy... I think some simple tuning (processing) with what you have may do wonders? If you were planning on an ms8 or something to that effect I would do that first! Work from there and hopefully save some time/work/potentially money?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will follow your advice and take this one step at a time. MS-8 is sitting on the coffee table now with 20 uF capacitors. Will get it up and running with tweeters active. I will also see about aiming front 6.5" JLs up as much as possible.

Maybe that will be just fine.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
I will follow your advice and take this one step at a time. MS-8 is sitting on the coffee table now with 20 uF capacitors. Will get it up and running with tweeters active. I will also see about aiming front 6.5" JLs up as much as possible.

Maybe that will be just fine.
Dont forget about deadning the enclosure (inside) :) Keep us posted, lets try and pick away one piece at a time, you may still end up doing something drastic but for now......lets plan for the worst and hope for the best ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, the MS-8 made a huge improvement. But, I still want more.

I am thinking of doing the following 2 things:

1. Put a center channel in the center of the dash. Unfortunately, it can only aim straight up.

2. Replace the tweeters with full range mids. I am still looking at the L3SE, but also thea the Pioneer TS-S062PRS. Just trying to find the best small speaker I can.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Look into the Audible Physics widebanders... I just purchased a set of XR3m 3" mids from a member.. Going to put these in my pillars along with some Morel tweeters. The widebanders would actually work without a tweeter since they'll go way into the 10khz range.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, I see a lot on here about Audible Physics / H-Audio. Where the heck does someone actually find info on these and buy them?

I consider myself a pretty good Googler, but all I can turn up is some Facebook page.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts