DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have illusion horns and I'm looking for some 6.5-7" mids to match up well with them. They're going to be IB in my doors. Mounthing depth shouldn't be a problem. Budget is up to ~$200
amp does: [email protected], [email protected]
I've been looking at the xxx's since they'll get a good amount of power. Also been thinking about the extremis and L18RNX/CA18RNX but i'm not sure if 50w would be loud enough. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Either the L18 or CA18 would be a good match. If you have a 100wpc amp @ 4ohms you should be good to go, provided you setup your gains/levels/and eq correctly. The price is very low, and I believe you'd be very happy with it.

Extremis is a very good driver as well. If you have the money and the space, I would seriously consider using it as a first choice.

I probably wouldn't recommend the XXX however due to the price, and Imho I don't think it outperforms any of the other drivers mentioned here which cost a good deal less.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
with all the good reviews, that's what I was leaning towards also. my only question is, the xxx's would be getting 4 times as much power as the seas/adires, so would the output be anywhere near comparable? I was gonna go with the xxx's for the shear fact that they'll be getting a lot of power, but if the other drivers can get loud enough I would much rather go with them.
thanks for the input.

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
They'll be getting more power, but wasting it as well. The efficiency is not as high as the other drivers. I have a brand new pair here, and they're good drivers but too large and expensive compared to the others without offering dramatically better performance Imho.

·
Registered
531 Posts
npdang said:
Either the L18 or CA18 would be a good match. If you have a 100wpc amp @ 4ohms you should be good to go, provided you setup your gains/levels/and eq correctly. The price is very low, and I believe you'd be very happy with it.

Extremis is a very good driver as well. If you have the money and the space, I would seriously consider using it as a first choice.

I probably wouldn't recommend the XXX however due to the price, and Imho I don't think it outperforms any of the other drivers mentioned here which cost a good deal less.
you going to be testing the xxx's?

if so....

when :)

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
I can't really test them in my car because... well they just don't fit! I ran some distortion tests and listened to them in the home and they do ok.

·
Registered
531 Posts
npdang said:
I can't really test them in my car because... well they just don't fit! I ran some distortion tests and listened to them in the home and they do ok.
i was just curious about the distortion tests....

how do they fare against the extremis?

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Derek said:
npdang said:
i was just curious about the distortion tests....

how do they fare against the extremis?
Extremis was better overall, both objectively and subjectively. How much better, I'm not sure yet. For some reason I still feel Seas Excel is a bit nicer. I will post in more detail when I write the review. But XXX just looks much sexier :)

·
Registered
217 Posts
I've used ID CX and/or Dynaudio mids with ID horns. I prefer the Dynaudio's for a few reasons, and feel the efficiency thing isn't as important as people make it out to be. I'd rather have a driver that has a wider frequency range with a lower efficiency, than one or more higher efficiency drivers because of the headache of dealing with more path lengths, and more areas required to install them in the car (kicks + doors). Part of the "voodoo" of car audio is eliminating the vibration/physical cues that give our bodies a different idea about where the sound is supposed to be coming from. Face it, the less gear in a near field listening environment, the better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.