DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I have been directed to and redirected to many different set-ups for my Scion tC SQ install. I am not formiliar with how to read graphs other than looking for the smoothest curve. I am learning slowly at best what watts to ohms to frequency etc. etc. REALLY mean in the Car Audio world. With that said, I have come to this setup in hopes that I have what I am looking for. I like to listen to various types of music, from hard rap and hip-hop to jazz and classical, and basically anything in between. Therefore I feel as though I need a versitile component group that can handle what I dish out, loud and clear. (isn't that what we all want?) I also don't like the harshness of metal tweeters, not sure what you'd call it, but I think of it as "hearing the metal". I prefer soft tweets as they
"seem" to be smoother, but I fear top end may suffer. (Opinions?) Now, the Scion tC has a lot of hard plastic throughout its interior so sound reflections may be a factor with my install. I have a contact who has mounted 7" woofers in the doors, so that's my plan for the midbass. I am struggling on nailing down where I would like to locate the tweeters... I have read mixed reviews on placing them in the kicks. Alright, enough rambling, I just felt as though I needed to explain everything thuroughly.

Alright, I have the Alpine CDA-9813 which has 2 or 3 way xover points as well as time alignment, 5 band EG, etc. etc. I am planning on picking up either the MRV-F345 or the MRV-F545 to power this front stage depending on my needs based on the speakers I eventually go with. I have about $150-200 to spend on the speakers alone up front. I am currently thinking of going with a 2-way setup, which is the Dayton Reference RS28A tweet (a friend of mine is replacing his 25NFA's for those) and the seas CA18RNX. I also tentatively looked into running a 3-way setup utilizing the same Dayton tweet, mated with a 5" mid in the kicks and using the Dayton reference 7" mid in the doors, but that limits my funds on amplification as well as figuring out xovers for them, or having to buy an external one. Im up for any suggestions on speaker selection as well as mounting configurations!!! HELP!

FEEDBACK!!!
:oops: sorry I rambled...

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
The very first thing I would do is ditch the 9813, there are a number of far better choices to pick from, lol cost and simple solutions like the 8443, 8053 and newer models(not all of them though) are far superior in SQ.

10 bands of parametric EQ, three way crossover(can add a passive to one output for a four way system) TA(I rarely use any and if I do it is a minute amount)

I have installed alot of Apline HU's and have done the same exact system in various cars, trucks, or very close to the exact, the only real difference being the HU's and the Eclipse ones just blow away the Alpines.

There are other good choices as well but in your budget range not much else to choose from.

Rick

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well for one, I don't like the non-ergonomical plain boring eclipse decks, and two, well.... I like my Alpine, and if I suffer a minute amount of SQ at the cost of user-friendliness and my own personal preference, then I'll deal. And it has 3 way xover and if I DO happen to go with a 3way front stage than I will be using a passive between the tweet and the smaller mid...

Anyone have any suggestions about the speakers?...
:roll:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sorry man, im not tryin to be an a$$hole, i took your point with validity and will look into that later... as for now I am trying to piece together some components. Have any suggestions there?

·
Registered
415 Posts
acex008 said:
I also don't like the harshness of metal tweeters, not sure what you'd call it, but I think of it as "hearing the metal". I prefer soft tweets as they "seem" to be smoother, but I fear top end may suffer. (Opinions?)
acex008 said:
I am currently thinking of going with a 2-way setup, which is the Dayton Reference RS28A tweet (a friend of mine is replacing his 25NFA's for those) and the seas CA18RNX.
The Dayton Reference RS28A's ARE metal domes. ;)

If you do decide to go with a 3-way front stage with the Dayton 5" you might still want to consider the LPG 25/26NA because of its smaller size over the Dayton Ref RS28A's (i think both LPG's might have more topend then the Dayton Refs too)..

Also, with the crossovers on the newer Alpine amps you can run both mid and tweeters off the front channels of your heaunit (no TA needed between mid and tweeter mounted next to each other in the kick panel area), using the rears to another amp to your midbasses and subwoofer to your subwoofer.
___

a friend of mine just recently swaped out a Eclipse ???? (3-way/10-band/etc - probably a 2004 model) to an Alpine 9855, and we noticed it sounded much fuller, detailed, and less noisy. All in all, hes a very happy camper! <<setup: Eclipse 85x4 amp, LCY 130 ribbons, Phaze Audio 5.25" mids

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know those are metal domes but I've heard thru the grapevine that they arent as harsh as most metal tweets. I looked into the 9855 but I HATE the Glidetouch thing. I think that the 9833 is the same deck but without that stupid glidetouch feature. Isn't the internal amp on HU's not as clean a signal as it could be using an external amp? I have thought about going that route, but I don't want a Dirty signal... LOL :D

·
Registered
415 Posts
sorry, i shouldve been more clear..

when i said "channels" i meant the *preout* output channels, not the internal amplifier channels...

basically:

+ HU with 3-way xover + eq
+ 3 amps total:
. - 4-channel, mids+tweets
. - 2 or 4 channel bridged, midbasses
. - 1 or 2 channel bridged, subwoofer(s).

^^if you get the newer Alpine amplifers, they have an xover that can HP and/or LP from 600 to 8000hz or 30 to 400hz @ 12db/oct which would work between your mids and tweeters ei no passive needed.

___

My new setup is going to consist of 2 Alpine MRV-F545's and 1 Alpine MRD-M1005 (or the MRD-M1001 that i currently have).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PROS vs. CONS who wins?

Also, If I do go 2way, the Dayton tweet goes lower than the LPG, so it would mate better to the seas driver am I right?
If I went 3 way then I would consider the LPG since I wouldnt need it to go as low as I would if it were in the 2way configuration... Are my assumptions correct?
What are the advantages/disadvantages to either setup I'm considering? Aside from the 3 way costing more when complete...
Do you guys think I will be happy with a 2way using the Dayton and the seas woofer in the doors which I can put together (just speakers) for under $220. Or would I benefit from going the 3way all Dayton Reference route which would cost me about $250. I say this because although I would need more channels meaning more amplification for the 3way setup the cost difference isn't really that much to cause concern for me on the speaker end of things.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OHHHH that sounds awesome!!! So would I benefit from going all Dayton? Or should I still use the seas woofer as the midbass and go 5" Dayton Reference and tweet? LOL. Now you guys see my delema!!! I've had a headache for 3 solid months on this stuff. I just dont want to have to take it apart when I'm not satisfied. (Which I do A LOT of). I had a complete 5.1 Xbox optically wired to an Alpine SPU feeding an Alpine amp with wireless controllers and the screen mounted where normally the HU would go. The Xbox was modded so I could watch avi.'s and listen to Mp3's right off of it's hard drive. Well... I've changed plans and am looking into this SQ setup instead... I don't really wanna bust into my car once I get this setup complete again...

·
Registered
415 Posts
Re: PROS vs. CONS who wins?

acex008 said:
Also, If I do go 2way, the Dayton tweet goes lower than the LPG, so it would mate better to the seas driver am I right?
If I went 3 way then I would consider the LPG since I wouldnt need it to go as low as I would if it were in the 2way configuration... Are my assumptions correct?
Correct.

Basically, if youre not sure what youre doing, go the the 2-way setup.. itll save you a lot of headaches.. ;)

however, i would choose Ribbon tweeters. :D

My friend is planning to mate his LCY's with Dayton Ref 7's..but hes been lagging to buy his mids for a while now...i wanna play with em....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Aren't ribbons $$$, and aren't they harder to mount?

I think I'll be fine with the Dayton tweet. I'm now trying to nail down which midbass woofer to use... Seas or Dayton Reference?

And if I find the money I'll add the 3rd speaker to create a 3way later...

·
Registered
103 Posts
The 7" dayton reference has some resonance problems in upper midrange but will be more clear than the CA18. The CA18 will have more bass output. Dont forget, the Dayton Reference is shielded so you're gonna hve to make sure you can fit the extra mounting depth in your doors. I bought a pair of 7" reference once but was never able to get the bucking madgnet off so i never got them instaleld :(. The L18 (which is the same size as the CA18) fits in my doors with ease.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Seems like a good choice would be a two way setup. If you don't like the harsh tweeters, try the LPG 25nfa. It likes to be crossover above 3khz, but mate that with the CA18RNX and you'll be fine. These speakers will fit your budget perfectly for under $200. For that price, this setup will give you the best bang for your buck! A lot of people like this setup, myself included.

David

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Excellent guys, thanks so much for the feedback. I am going to go 2 way with the seas woofer and the Dayton tweet. If it's harsh for me I'll get the LPG.

Yaaay! :lol:

Is there a DIY store!?!?! Or do I need to contact npdang? I want the best price obviously. I know madisound carries the seas woofer for $54.30ea. and I can get the Dayton Tweet at PE for $46.65ea. Anyone know where I can get either one cheaper?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Casedot said:
The 7" dayton reference has some resonance problems in upper midrange but will be more clear than the CA18. The CA18 will have more bass output. Dont forget, the Dayton Reference is shielded so you're gonna hve to make sure you can fit the extra mounting depth in your doors. I bought a pair of 7" reference once but was never able to get the bucking madgnet off so i never got them instaleld :(. The L18 (which is the same size as the CA18) fits in my doors with ease.
Thanks for your input!

im wondering if the midrange is better then my L18's..

either way, he's getting them for the price...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.