DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have to abandon my massive audio QC15 due to space constraints (was running 3.5 cubes tuned to 31.2 Hz on massive N3, hit 144.4 on termlab on music for a reference) and I need some advice.

Have to use my cargo space so Have decided on a pre-fab box for my truk that only is 0.81 cubes and 6.5" mounting depth. I have plenty of power to throw at it, but can't find anything I think I want to run in this little space.

Any suggestions on a sub that will perform above average with this little bit of space sealed? Somethin I can throw some decent power at and get it to perform in the tiny space?

Can run a 10" or 12" in this box by the way. THANKS FOR ANY HELP!

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I am sure you will find some help here. Based on past discussions, it seems like Dayton Audio Reference HO are the subwoofers to use in small enclosures, either ported or sealed. WinISD alpha recommends a 0.63cu ft enclosure for the Dayton HO12, SVC version. There is also a DVC version. These subwoofers are notoriously hard to drive, but most people are impressed with their quality of sound.

Here is one of several reviews:

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/member-reviews-product-comparisons/106395-dayton-audio-rss315ho-4-12-reference-ho.html

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have heard great things about the JL tw5 line... if you can afford it haha

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Budget is 400 or so. Don't really want to go thin style if I don't need to. I would love to get some good sound out of it.

Looking at image dynamics subs now, may go that route.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Check out the new Alpine Type-R subs. They are a small enclosure friendly sub with great power handling and xmax.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Had some bad experiences with alpine, and I try and stay awayfrom them now. I really want to use something I've never used before. Something that is not the common kicker or alpine type big box store sub.

Thanks for the advice guys, think i might pull the trigger on an IDQ 12.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I am sure you will find some help here. Based on past discussions, it seems like Dayton Audio Reference HO are the subwoofers to use in small enclosures, either ported or sealed. WinISD alpha recommends a 0.63cu ft enclosure for the Dayton HO12, SVC version. There is also a DVC version. These subwoofers are notoriously hard to drive, but most people are impressed with their quality of sound.

Here is one of several reviews:

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/member-reviews-product-comparisons/106395-dayton-audio-rss315ho-4-12-reference-ho.html
^^^this x 2

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, got the IDQ v3D4 in running at 2 ohms on Massive Audio N3 in 0.9 cubes sealed before displacement.

It sounds.......****ing gorgeous. Don't know how else to describe it. Glad I went this route for sure, thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Well, got the IDQ v3D4 in running at 2 ohms on Massive Audio N3 in 0.9 cubes sealed before displacement.

It sounds.......****ing gorgeous. Don't know how else to describe it. Glad I went this route for sure, thanks guys.
So, it's getting about 0.8 cu ft after displacement. It's probably acceptable, but probably a little off. If there is not enough low end, I'd stuff this box with 0.8 to 1.2 pounds of polyfill.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah that's the plan. It's not even broken in yet, so I haven't pushed it, but it really sounds so damn clean. Glad I found it, stopped at a local shop to get a bypass module for my alarm, and saw it sitting there. This after woofersetc.com took 2 weeks and still hadn't shipped it, i cancelled and grabbed this baby for $189. It was the last one they had and a D4 and apparently nobody wanted it.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I had been suffering weak bass in my small SUV using a Pioneer 10" shallow sub. I went back to my dealer and listened to these Alpine 8" type Rs with a specifically tuned / ported enclosure-

SBR-S83V - Alpine 8" Enclosed Subwoofer at Abt

SBR-S83V

My jaw dropped- they filled the entire room and sounded like (3) subs at once, even compared to other larger and more expensive offerings.
I had to make sure it was only this sub playing- the sales rep pulled the connection on the panel and sure enough it was just the Alpine 8" playing.

It had a sharp, extremely physical hit that you could feel- I can't wait to pick them up on Friday. No mud whatsoever, whether bass lines or beats.
Listen to it if you can.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts