DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking at doing a set up on my 07 magnum. Im interested in some vifa NE 25vtt 1in tweeters, and some NE 95w 3in mids. I want to do something small and inexpensive in the kicks, my wife will be using this car as well and i don't want them to stick out too much.
Probably be using a JL e2150 for these and some JL xr 650CWs in the door off a separate amp.
need to know some thoughts on crossover design between the mid and tweet. I thought of something simple like 3500Hz hp and lp, but are there better ways, like 12dB hp and 6dB lp and would you use same hp and lp values or have some underlap.
I will probably set the HP for the kicks at 200 and have the 650's bandpassed hp at 80 and use a coil for lp .
this will probably not happen for a couple of months and i may just put my xr650 set with the tweeter in the dash, but i really would like to get back into building some kicks.
Thanks
DC

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
1. Sounds like a 3-way to me
2. Don't put tweeters anywhere near the floor - legs will block the sound bigtime
3. Use a 3/4" tweeter in a 3-way, not a 1"
4. Make sure to keep the midrange and tweeter as close together as possible
5. Use at least a second-order crossover (meaning (for a passive crossover), at the very least, one capacitor and one inductor per driver - more than one and/or resistors may be required/desired as well)
6. Please work on your ability to explain things.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks, will do on the 3/4.
I was more concerned about the mid/tweet part of the system.
Not having the tweeter near the floor, would you not go with kicks at all or do you mean to have the tweeter above the mid, but still in the kick.
The dash is still an option to have the mid in the stock location and the tweeter right next to it. I did this in a 95 stratus that i use to have with some Boston Pro 4.2's. I liked it but when I changed to some JL XR400 CX coax's in the kicks I liked it a lot better. Both setups i still had a 6 1/2 in the door off another amp in a 3 way set-up. Both the stratus and the magnum have deep and wide dash locations.
I have a set of crossovers that i made years ago that are 12db hp and lp at 3500, but have no tweeter protection or resistors of any kind, I need to research the tweeter side of it. these vifa's are 4 ohm, and the JL was 8 and i think the boston was 6, so im guessing I should trim the tweeter down a bit by adding the resistor.
Thanks for the help, I was a installer for many years, but mainly out of the box type stuff, not much on the hand built/designed part of the business.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts