DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:D I love this forum, this is the best forum I have found. Anyway to the point I have a 1996 BMW 318i sedan and I have custom door panels that hold two 6" - 8" drivers. The door itself has a spot for a 4.5" midrange and a 2" tweeter. I have owned the MB Quart 3 way set for 3 years, and the PCE 5.25" currently. So to aid you in assisting me with some choices, here are some of the issues. I am not using th custom door panels currently. The 5.25" are mounted in kick panels and the tweeters in the stock top door location. I do not like the tweeter in either set, they are too bright, I have attenuated them both at -6 db, and also eq'd them down 2 - 3 db on the last two bands of my Pioneer premier deh 860. I listen to big variety, and I am also a musician. Currently I am listening to Supertramp, Audioslave, Rush, Men at Work (don't laugh), Madonna, and Matt Redman. I have read through all the forums and some of first choices would be as follows; Tweeters: Morel Supreme, Dynaudio esotar, Scanspeak revelator. Drivers Seas Excel or Scanspeak Revelotor.

I have been also considering using the active croosover of the HU?
I love my music to spacious, open, natural, with not a lot of color. I also like to drive my speakers hard at times. I felt that the MB Quart were missing some detail (better than a lot that I have heard), I am just very picky like the rest of you in this forum. I also want to notice a nice difference in the new set. Is using 4 midbass drivers up front too much with just two large housed tweeters not right? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
415 Posts
sounds like money isnt a problem since youre considering the Seas Excels and ScanSpeak Revelators!

also sounds like youre looking for some ribbons!

Fountek NeoCd3.0S Ribbons in kickpanels
http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?cart_id=%Êrt_id%%&pid=1889

and

Seas Excel W18E-001 (E018) 7" woofers in heavily dampend doors (also, make sure you can fit them ~3" of mounting depth).
http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?cart_id=3501653.5813&pid=987

(these drivers listed above can be bought through [email protected] for the best service and prices)

Youll also need a 4 channel amp..

www.ZedAudio.com Draconia with Burr Brown op amp upgrade (ive never personally heard, but gets good reviews).

And a headunit with some good onboard processing..

Alpine, Eclispse, Pioneer, etc.. Needs 3-way Xover and PEQ.

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
You could use the headunit's processing to take care of the crossover and eq. You would just need to make sure that you have 1 channel of amplification for each driver.

Like suggested I would try using a pair of the Seas w18 Excel in the doors, and a ribbon tweeter either Fountek or LCY in the kickpanels. That would give you the most open, detailed, realistic sounding system Imo. You could read through the reviews over in the review forum if you're looking for a different kind of sound.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input! I will take some pictures of the door panels and post tommorow. I bought the doorboards from Italy (pm doorboards). They cover the pocket and give about 3.75" of clearance. Question about the ribbon tweeter is that the kick panel location is at the base of my feet, up towards the front, and no custom kickpanels are not an option the car is a 5 speed with SC, I need the dead pedal for spirited driving, plus the sound will blocked. I could position the ribbons on the high door mount and angle them. I will have to cut more on the doors. As far as money being no problem, not really, but I know that sometimes price/performance is not linear; so I would like to hit somewhere in the upper middle. I forgot to mention that I listen to a lot of piano music and classical guitar also. 8)

·
Registered
265 Posts
squiggy said:
I will take some pictures of the door panels and post tommorow.
Hehe, When will we see those pictures? Also how much does it cost to do something like that? Wait, you bought it from Italy? So they mailed you out a pair of door panels? How did they cut the actual doors for you? I'm lost, is "doorboards" an actual member on this foums?

Thanks
David

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Had some issues with my digital camera, will post when I get the camera fixed. Yes the door build outs are from Italy. http://www.carhifidirekt.de/catalog/index.php/cPath/25_29

This is the website; you will get the general idea.

Price to my door was ~$500.00.

They hold two 6.5" drivers and will be mounted at the base of the door, where the pocket is. The depth is 2.25" without cutting the back of the doorpanel out, and ~4" if I cut it out.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Squiggy,

I really like those doorboards! Please describe in detail if possible the construction of those things. Are they just plastic? Or are they MDF? How do they mount to the stock door covers? Do they seal well to the door for better frequency response? Do you have to cut the stock covers to use them? Any and all information would be very helpful! Thank you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts