DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already have the amp. It's a pioneer GM-D9605. I've had it over a year with channel A running a set of morel components, channel B running morel coaxs and the sub channel running a Pioneer TS-SWX3002. I bought it with the amp just to have something. It's actually been pretty good but now I want a little more punch. I either want to go two 10's or two 12's. Something decent but budget minded. The box will be 1 cubic ft per sub sealed. No room for ported.

Trying to understand what the limits of this amp is first and then what subs will make a good match.

The specs on the amp say
2 ohms: 100 watts x 4 chan. + 600 watts x 1 chan
. Does that mean how my other 4 channels are connected affects the output of the sub? I figured the sub channel was completely independent. Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Thoughts on subs? Would like to get some that are ~$100 each but not sure if that's possible. Would you suggest 10s or 12s? Mostly listen to rock music with some occasional rap/heavy bass music.

Looking at getting this in ~2 months so I have time. Just want to get some ideas and understand what would work best.

Thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have the gm-d9705. Exact same amp with a different look to the outside. You can have your 4 channels wired however you like 2-4 ohms and that will not affect the impedance of your sub channel. Sub channel is 350w @ 4 ohms, 600w @ 2 ohms. I use my sub channel to power a single 12" Rockford Fosgate P3D4-12 in a 1.8 cu ft ported box. It's more bass than any normal person could want. Rockford really isn't known for being the most accurate/audiophile subwoofer though. Plenty of output and punchy in my experience.

If you are looking for a pair of 10s or 12s, I would personally look for subs that are 300w RMS. And either 4 ohm single voice coil or dual 2 ohm voice coil so that they could be wired to 2 ohms at the amplifier. And of course work well in a sealed 1 cu ft box.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'm really looking at if the Sundown Sealed box woofer would be the way to go for my next install in my sisters car. If you have time, they often have people return these since they ordered the wrong sub, or Sundown has lent them out for testing.

With Bass, you are always going to want the capability for more. So going with 2 12's will be the way to go for most folks as it often is cheaper weirdly due to Supply and demand.

Check out the garage sale portion of the site. They often have woofers there for a good deal. And they work splendid in a small box from what I have heard from 2 friends in California that also needed a great sounding subwoofer in a small custom box location. The guru's at Sundown sure do care about customer serie as well if you're into that kind of thing.

I plan on doing a custom box as well in the future with this driver.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
At the price range your looking at the
jl 10w0 3-4 or jl 12w0 3-4 are hard to beat.

I went to a dealerwhen I was working in tn and just asked ifhe would take 200 for 2 10s and he said sure. Put them in a sealed box and my son loved them in his grand Cherokee and now my daughter loves them in her Camry.

·
Registered
605 Posts
As long as the 12s will fit reasonably well, they're a better choice than 10s. As a general rule, the bigger cone will give u more bass.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts