DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving down the road today, my amp went into protect. Naturally I got a little worried about things, I turned everything off, drove the rest of the way with no music pondering to myself over WHAT could cause this to happen.

When I got to where I was going I folded down the rear seat, and the amp was HOT to the touch, like burning up. That's not normal:eek:. I turned the truck back on, the music started playing, the amp was working again. Not wanting to mess anything up I left it off on the way home but still hooked up. I noticed something wasn't right when I looked at my voltage meter on my dash. This is a brand new truck, well, a 2008 Trailblazer SS. I have read that the charging system is somewhat funky, but this has me baffled. I couldn't make more than 12 volts of "power" in the system. I was going over 70 miles an hour, running about 2800 RPM. Now I call Don, he has the same truck. He is using TRU billet amps, with no regulated power supply and he doesn't ever have a problem like this occur. Now I am even more confused.

When I got home I disconnected all the power to the amp, so there is no current flowing through the newly installed stuff. The charging system brings the voltage up to around 14.5 volts or so, at an idle. What is causing all this ruckus in my electrical system? Bad ground that I installed for the amp? Help is greatly appreciated.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,569 Posts
As voltage drops current rises [ amperes is like the flow of water in gallons per minute ], more amperes equals hotter amplifier.

Too much of a load for your battery and alternator apparently :(

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Too much load when I only have ONE amp hooked up? That seems to be a crying shame. That's just silly. I determined that's why my amp was warm, I wasn't too concerned about it being warm but why it was shutting down completely. I think it's got to be the voltage drop, it probably dropped below working level and shut itself off.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's asinine. This is a brand new amp, a brand new amp that cost me a lot of monies!

·
Registered
12,569 Posts
Do you know any electrically minded people ? You will need to ascertain your charging system is working correctly [ test it under load... AC , headlights on highbeam, etc.., ].

Just get some things checked out if you cannot do it yourself ;)

In fact, I'd gander to say that before you let anyone else get to know it, you'd best know it yourself as well as you know your own face. Just like you wouldn't go out rollerblading until you knew where the brakes were, how to fix the bearings on your wheels, or how to find your way home from the park where you blade

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
my father is an electrician and I can check easy things. I am going to wait for him to get up this afternoon (works midnights) and we will dive into trying to figure out WTH is going on.

I am going to put a new ground as my first step, just to make sure everything is clear there. maybe ill use a rear seat bolt, that would assure me a good ground! I have been driving it already quite a bit this morning and it is holding steady, I haven't hooked the amp back up yet. This is a small amp, I don't see how it could kill my power like that.

·
Registered
12,569 Posts
Amp name, model ? Wire size are the same for ground and power feed ? You sanded metal where the ground is connected ? Bolt and nutted with lock washer on the ground ?

Visually any signs of excessive heat in wires [ melted insulation or crispy near where the wire has been stripped for connection ? ].

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Amp name, model ? Wire size are the same for ground and power feed ? You sanded metal where the ground is connected ? Bolt and nutted with lock washer on the ground ?

Visually any signs of excessive heat in wires [ melted insulation or crispy near where the wire has been stripped for connection ? ].
It is a Celestra FA2150x. I used 0gauge to feed the distribution block, then 4gauge from the distro to amp and 4gauge for the ground. I sanded the metal where the ground is connected and nut and bolted it, no lock washer though.

The wire looks fine, still looked brand new when I disconnected everything.:(

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yep, that's the one.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Stupid internet and double posts. Sorry.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i was always told that caps were pointless. maybe ill have to give one a shot.

·
Registered
12,569 Posts
Basic Car Audio Electronics

I put one in my nephews car [ which had a new alternator and a new battery during his second year at college ], his system still works fine today a year after he graduated.

From # 46

Quote>
Large capacitors are used as a sort of electrical shock absorber. As voltage starts to rise, the capacitor will absorb energy which will tend to keep the voltage from rising as quickly as it otherwise would. If the voltage starts to fall, the capacitor's stored energy will flow out of the capacitor to try to keep the voltage up. A capacitor's ability to absorb/release energy from/to external circuits depends on the capacitor's specs (capacitance, ESR, ESL...), the output impedance of the power source (alternator and power wire in this case) and the circuit's input impedance (into the amplifier's power supply).
Quote>

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
what if I tried a batcap?

·
Registered
997 Posts
When I got home I disconnected all the power to the amp, so there is no current flowing through the newly installed stuff. The charging system brings the voltage up to around 14.5 volts or so, at an idle. What is causing all this ruckus in my electrical system? Bad ground that I installed for the amp? Help is greatly appreciated.:rolleyes:
Seeing that this is a problem that just started, and not one that existed since you installed the amplifier, I'm going to guess that something is wrong with your amplifier. Perhaps one of the main transistors is leaking current. Best way to find out is to measure the idle current when the amp is on and compare it to the specs.

If it's NOT the amplifier, my next guess would be that's something's popped in your car's power system and it cannot handle any reasonable load.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
so I need to test how much current it's pulling compared to how much it's supposed too. I will do that tomorrow. How frustrating, nothing can ever go smoothly haha.

http://www.celestra.it/eng/products/schede/FA2150x.pdf

so if I am looking at this do I go by the idle current it will pull when idle or when playing music. Idle according to the pdf is .8 amps and if I go by when it's seeing a load (2Ω) it is supposed to read 90 amps. What am I looking for?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts