DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if it was really that difficult to open up the casing on an amplifier and replacing the resistors and capacitors... if that would result in a higher power output... i do some circuitry so its not that hard for me to replace them but i was wondering if there was more to it than that??... or maybe a link to somewhere i can go to find some information on the subject of rebuilding an amplifier to make it more powerful.... not afraid of reading.
thanks for the info

·
Registered
11,959 Posts
the resistors an capacitors have little to do with how much power an amplifier puts out. you would have to redesign the whole thing from the ground up. amplifier design is not trivial. if it was easy to make it put out more power, dont you think the company that made it would have?

give up on this and just buy a good amplifier in the first place. by the time you replace all the parts needed to boost the power, you could have bought one.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the resistors an capacitors have little to do with how much power an amplifier puts out. you would have to redesign the whole thing from the ground up. amplifier design is not trivial. if it was easy to make it put out more power, dont you think the company that made it would have?

give up on this and just buy a good amplifier in the first place. by the time you replace all the parts needed to boost the power, you could have bought one.
understood but I would like to find out how to build these and what goes into it.... I've heard of some many people "rebuilding" the amplifiers themselves with massive gains...

·
Registered
11,959 Posts
understood but I would like to find out how to build these and what goes into it.... I've heard of some many people "rebuilding" the amplifiers themselves with massive gains...
what people?

if you really want to know how, go to your local university and enroll in their EE program. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that's what im going into actually... just tryin to find a head start for it... maybe a instructional or something that gives a little explanation over the subject.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thank you for the help and yeah I shouldn't have too much of a problem... Ive done some circuitry before.. although it was basic with the arduino doing coding for robots and whatnot... but this shouldn't be too different

·
Registered
73 Posts
The easy way to get more power is lowering the impedance of your loads (speakers) to make the amp produce all it is capable of.

The hard way is to increase the voltage from the DC/DC. That may give you a whole lot of other issues. You have to go through the whole design to figure out where you will encounter problems.

Personally I think it is easier to start over and design an amp from scratch. I used parts like heat sink, connectors and some mosfets from an old amp. Then you can do exactly what you want without compromises. It is more fun too. You will need the understanding of how to design an amp even if you only are modding an existing amp.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
The toroidal transformer is what dictates the amplifiers output power.
All the other parts complement the rated voltage and current of the transformer.
I have changed transformers and rewound some to get certain power levels into different loads.And I blew up a few in the process.
You cant take an amp like a PPI A300 and put a punch [email protected] transformer in it.The rail voltage would be too high and there aren't enough output transistors or power supply mosfets to handle it.Then there are things like higher voltage caps,resistors,and regulator IC's that would need their input voltage reduced.
Its not worth it.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Save yourself the $$$ and trouble and get yourself a new amplifier that spits out more power. Its not as simple as it sounds to mod an amp.

A few years back when I now got into car audio with my 1800watt mono there was a guy from my neighborhood that bragged he had the loudest system. Bragged of a pair of boss ripper amps modded with mmats mofsets or something like that powering a pair of 3000 watt pioneer 12's. Long story short, he was downgraded to second loudest as of that day :lol:

·
Registered
11,959 Posts
Save yourself the $$$ and trouble and get yourself a new amplifier that spits out more power. Its not as simple as it sounds to mod an amp.

A few years back when I now got into car audio with my 1800watt mono there was a guy from my neighborhood that bragged he had the loudest system. Bragged of a pair of boss ripper amps modded with mmats mofsets or something like that powering a pair of 3000 watt pioneer 12's. Long story short, he was downgraded to second loudest as of that day :lol:
love stories like that! cause mmats makes thier own mosfets, lol. :rolleyes: They buy the same ones everybody does, lol.

I had a friend that bragged a bit on his system. not to that extreme, but he had me listen to it. had a couple cheap amplifiers. 250w x 2 and a 50w x 4. didnt sound bad, but when I showed him mine, he was blown away. I only had 30w x 4 and 100 x 1. mine was louder and cleaner. changed his mind about higher end gear.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts