DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a sub to replace my current idq10v1. I really like the sound of it just looking for a little more output. I have no restriction on box size but will be using a boston gt-22 to power it. Specs read 270x1 @ 4ohm and 400x1 @2 ohm all at 12.6v. other restriction is budget. I'm looking to stay below about $150, not afraid of used equipment though. What would you do?

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Are you looking for 10 or 12 inch subwoofer? Ported or sealed box? If you like the current sound, perhaps you could trade your sub for a 12 inch IDQ v3 or add a second 10" IDQ?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
10, 12, 15 doesnt matter to me. Also the box will be built after the sub is selected so ported or sealed doesn't matter either. I have tons of room, its going in a jeep cherokee. Obviously I've thought about an idqv3 but it doesn't quite fit my power restraint or budget being about 750 rms and going for about $200 used. I've also looked into getting another idq10v1 but they are damn hard to find. alas i feel as I will have to move away from the idq subs and on to something different. the ID12 is something that I've looked at a little bit but not sure how much of a difference in sound quality im looking at between the newer id and older idq.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
The fact that IDQ's RMS rating is 700watts does not mean that it will not work well with a lesser amplifier. According to WinISD, IDQ12v3 has a tiny bit higher sensitivity than such subwoofers as RE Audio SEX/12, Infinity Kappa 120.9w or Alpine Type R. I have a Kappa 120.9w running in my Taurus on just 250watts, and I find its output satisfactory enough. (However, I want to upgrade my amplifier to provide 400-450watts RMS eventually as I move to class D tech) Perhaps the issue is with the cabin gain inside of an SUV being less than inside of a sedan? I can see why you may not be satisfied with the current setup.. a 10inch sealed box sub will not sound very loud unless it's a high output subwoofer like IDMAX or JL w7.

Given your budget, an IDQv3 would probably be out of reach, but 12 inch subwoofers like Alpine Type R or RE Audio SEX/12 are within your reach. Both are proven performers in either type of box. As the way of least resistance, I would try them first in a sealed box for best SQ. If that didn't work, perhaps move to a ported box.

·
Registered
546 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts