DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

I will be upgrading my 2014 silverado speaker's pretty soon. I am looking at spending around $1200-$1500 total and doing all the install myself. I have some things (listed at the bottom) I Have already purchased as they were a good deal.

Here is what I am considering. I have about $300 to spend on front stage speakers. I am open to components but am leaning towards just buying raw drivers. Here are my choices, which one should I choose?

Component options would by the Image Dynamics CTX-65cs or the JBL GTO609c (both are around $200ish)

For the raw driver options I was looking at two different options

Option 1 cost $250.70 for both sides
SB Acoustics SB17MFC35-4 6" Polypropylene Cone Woofer - 4 ohms version
SB Acoustics SB29RDCN-C000-4 Ring Dome Tweeter with Neodymium Magnet

Option 2 cost $130 for both sides
dayton Audio RS150-4 6" Reference Woofer 4 Ohm (or maybe the RS150p depending on which one is better). I went with the 6" as that will be an easy fit compared to the 7" which I believe I would have to mod the speaker opening and I am not doing that. The 6" has a bunch of brackets that I can buy and just drop it in. If i am wrong I someone please tell me and i will get the 7"
Tymphany XT25SC90-04 1" Dual Ring Radiator Tweeter

Is the SB Acoustics worth the extra $120? Which will be better sound quality?
I am mounting the tweeters in the stock dash spots with some slight mod to bring them up and angle them a little better.

Here is what is for sure and I have already purchased.

JL Audio CS110TG-TW3

Alpine PDR-V75

Rockford Fosgate 3sixty.3

Also besides deadening in the door I was debating about buying those foam surrounds for speaker baffles, probably will unless someone has a better solution.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hey all, I would really appreciate some help to make sure I am getting the best for my dollar.

Which speakers should I go with

Option 1:
Image Dynamics CTX-65cs

Option 2:
SB Acoustics SB17MFC35-4 6" Polypropylene Cone Woofer - 4 ohms version
SB Acoustics SB29RDCN-C000-4 Ring Dome Tweeter with Neodymium Magnet

Option 3:
dayton Audio RS150-4 6" Reference Woofer 4 Ohm (or maybe the RS150p depending on which one is better).
Tymphany XT25SC90-04 1" Dual Ring Radiator Tweeter

I know all three will sound great but which ones will sound the best?

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
Are planning to run rear fill? Only reason I ask that is, if you are going to use a 360.3 then why pair for a component system that includes passive crossovers? Also, looking at the specs on the ID CtX's they only go up to 22k hz. If you don't care about going higher than than that you could what I was planning to do. You could go with these ID's instead of a complete set and then get a 2.5" midrange that will fit in the stock dash location. I don't have any personal experience with any of these speakers but the ID xs series are well regarded. Especially the 6x9's.

X 65 Image Dynamics 6 5" Pro High Definition Mid Bass Drivers Midranges X65 New | eBay

X 69 Image Dynamics 6" x 9" High Def Midrange Speakers Ceramic Fiber Composite | eBay

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rear Fill will just be provided via factory speakers and HU when passengers are back there, which isn't very often.
The SB Acoustics are the most likely candidate for me right now. The ID ctx's I linked where more so for the drivers and I would toss the crossovers in the box with the factory stuff until I had a use for them. Those ID's you linked look nice but they double the speaker budget which I can't afford as I already sprung for the 360.3. The max speaker budget would be $300 total for both sides.

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
The ID 6.5's wouldn't double your budget. The 6.5's are $220 for the pair then $120 for your SB tweets. Here are two more options for you. Like I said I haven't any personal experience with these but a lot of people here like them. If you do some searches on this site you can find plenty of reviews on them. The dayton is a 7" but I think with the front doors being 6x9 they would fit.

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/silver-flute-woofers-6-7/silver-flute-w17rc38-04-ohm-6-1/2-wool-cone/?gclid=CjwKEAjwvPepBRCoqo37teOD1XsSJAC7v6WQZaxKt_Sl9YJvQtti0K1YlEw63LAoN-j0fopdMIhbIxoC6gbw_wcB

Dayton Audio RS180-4 7" Reference Woofer 4 Ohm This is the metal cone version. It also now comes in a paper cone version. The metal cone has a nasty breakup around 2k hz and the paper cone is supposed to help with this.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have thought about the Dayton's, not the 180 but the 150's. The difference being the 150 is a 6" compared to 7". I don't know if it was on here or another forum but someone tried to get the 7" to fit and it needed quite a bit of modification to the door to work, I don't remember the specifics but it was more than just a bracket and I don't want to modify that much. They Look pretty comparable on paper. The 6" (45-10000hz) can hit some higher frequencies compared to the 7" (35-8000hz) but besides that they both seem pretty similar for everything I need them to do. The 180 is regarded by people as better compared to the 6" which is why I wasn't really wanting to go with the 6" Dayton's as there are some comparable 6.5" speakers to the Dayton 7".

I really do think I am going to go with the SB's at this point as the NVX XSP6ACT series 6.5" active component set is the same thing re-branded and get good reviews as well as the SB getting good reviews and they are under budget. Unless someone else can throw something out that makes me completely change my mind on speakers but with this choice I doubt that will happen.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey brumledb,
I just wanted to again thank you for your help. I ended up going with the ID x-65 and the ID xs-28 and worked out a pretty sweet deal with woofersetc for the raw drivers!

Thanks for that link!

Final set up will be
RF 360.3
Alpine PDR-v75
JL Audio TW3 10"
ID X-65 mids
ID x-28 Tweets
A bunch of stinger stuff (roadkill, carpet kit, and MLV/Foam pad, amp kit)

It should sound pretty sweet and I can't wait to dig into this build!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts