DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am hoping you can help me pick a good set of 2-way components to place in the stock door locations of my 8th gen (2009) Honda Accord sedan. I wanted to wait until spring/summer to add speakers up front but not sure I can go that long listening to my current setup

I have added the JBL MS-8 and a cheap-ish Eclipse 4100 4 channel (75x4) to the stock system. The factory locations are 6-1/2" woofer in the bottom of the doors & tweeters in sails ... 6-1/2" on rear shelf along with a 8" sub

I'd like to get more midbass upfront and have warmer, cleaner highs (stock is too bright and harsh) I don't think I'd ever add a lot more amp power so I'd like to buy based on using the MS8 18w for tweets and the 75w for the woofers now (if its appropriate ... I could use the 18w in the ms8 for woofs too) The most I could see myself doing is replacing the eclipse amp with a nice 5 channel when I add a real sub

I will be adding these to the doors without much (if any) immediate treatments BUT could possibly move these new speakers to the rear locations next year when I plan a proper door build-out and sound treatment for the car

I have no idea what speaker designs will work best for the door locations in my car ... I'd like to be in that $300 - 400.00 range ... I also don't know which drivers work well with the active x-overs available in the processor

... I did see Focal Integration IS 165 have built in xovers and that sounded interesting for my situation (separate EQ & TA possibilities w/ my processor)

I just don't know enough to make an informed decision ... LOL ... I usually just buy Alpine stuff and stick em in the the stock holes (car audio is obviously not my area of expertise)

Thank you in advance for your help with my particular situation :)

Michael

·
Registered
546 Posts
If I were you, I would invest into some door treatments. I would seal the door up and deaden it well. Then I would find some nice raw/diy drivers to run actively with the MS8. Is 350-400 you budget for just the speakers? You can have one helluva nice front stage with that budget.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I were you, I would invest into some door treatments. I would seal the door up and deaden it well. Then I would find some nice raw/diy drivers to run actively with the MS8. Is 350-400 you budget for just the speakers? You can have one helluva nice front stage with that budget.
Thanks for the quick response ... my problem right now is time, and I've already spent more of it just getting the processor in then I can spare.

I DO plan to treat the doors eventually and building as nice a front as "I" can, but I just don't have the time for it right now (plus it is freezing out ... no garage)

Yes, I "could" spend the $300-400 but I'd rather spend $200-250.00 if these drivers will just go into the rear as fill speakers next summer, but, I do not want to miss out on something much better just to save a hundred bucks.

I'd have no idea about raw diy drivers and would have to completely rely on you guys to recommend the best for my stock locations. The front door woofer grill faces away from seats toward the firewall (although I assume the driver is mounted flat) I have not removed the door panel to look yet but it looks really off axis to me ...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts