DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Acura ILX premium/A-Spec
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About to start new build in my
New car and am needing options for another 18” for IB. First choice is the custom Stereo integrity IB18 but it’s price is now 550$. So second choice was fi ib3 18” but it’s not available to even place an order at the moment. What else is there that has the 30+ xmax?
AE doesn’t make a 18”.
Dayton has half the xmax so I would destroy it. Is there anything else that’s close to the si and fi subs?

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the AE has a lot less xmax vs Fi and Si Ib subs. The SI IB18 is 30mm one way 60mm total. The dayton says 23mm linear xmax (is that total or one way) my mind is drawing a blank at the moment. Lmao.

that skar is a possibility.
With IB is it the qts one of the main specs to look at? What’s the range? Isn’t it above .55 qts?
I remember my first SI IB18 said .77 qts on its print out

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dayton UM 18, a pair of HF 15s, HO 18 is out of stock

I was thinking about trying a pair of these cheap NVX 15s, they apparently have a shorting ring.. NVX VSW154v2 | 1500 Watt Dual 4-ohm 15" Car Subwoofer
The d
Dayton UM 18, a pair of HF 15s, HO 18 is out of stock

I was thinking about trying a pair of these cheap NVX 15s, they apparently have a shorting ring.. NVX VSW154v2 | 1500 Watt Dual 4-ohm 15" Car Subwoofer
the Dayton ho18 has little xmax and qts of .32 Not sure it specs out as a good choice.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ae will also make an sbp in 18” or an ib18au… just ask…
is there a way to see the specs of those and prices ?

·
Registered
937 Posts
The d

the Dayton ho18 has little xmax and qts of .32 Not sure it specs out as a good choice.
lol, that's why you model them. Low qts isn't too big of deal when you have low FS. Xmax isn't something to be all to concerned with for an 18 IB install, IMO. Unless you need sub 30hz playback you wont see the sub move all the much.

For IB you should consider what frequency range you need to cover to meet with the mids and how much output is required.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
lol, that's why you model them. Low qts isn't too big of deal when you have low FS. Xmax isn't something to be all to concerned with for an 18 IB install, IMO. Unless you need sub 30hz playback you wont see the sub move all the much.

For IB you should consider what frequency range you need to cover to meet with the mids and how much output is required.
I would disagree wholeheartedly… xmax is one on my list of priority’s along with low inductance, 0.4 or higher qts, cone area and lowish fs

output requirements for a balanced tune increase as you get lower where subs are concerned, you will end up with a midbass monster unless the sub can play the lowest notes with authority…

<20-40hz is the most fun you can have with IB subs

·
Registered
937 Posts
I understand but with an 18 you can make some compromises. For example, the dayton ho 18 has low qts but also low Le. And the displacement should get you tons of output down the 20 for most folks. Compare that against an Fi ib3, you gain a higher qts and xmax good for output into the teens. But they roll off hard at 60hz. I'd rather take the ho unless you have some banging midbass.

Typically the limiting factor is the midbass. So the op should probably start there and see how high the sub needs to play.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

I had the SI ib18 in the car I just sold andI believe xmax is important for the levels I like sometimes 😉

here’s a short faux hair trick using a 20hz beat

and another clip with music and a heavy pillow case. Lol. I like to move some air from time to time. Mostly when demoing.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I understand but with an 18 you can make some compromises. For example, the dayton ho 18 has low qts but also low Le. And the displacement should get you tons of output down the 20 for most folks. Compare that against an Fi ib3, you gain a higher qts and xmax good for output into the teens. But they roll off hard at 60hz. I'd rather take the ho unless you have some banging midbass.

Typically the limiting factor is the midbass. So the op should probably start there and see how high the sub needs to play.
Here’s my response with the si18, and whole response with the bass hot!
Seems to have plenty above 60hz to me

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
You going IB or trunk baffle?

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You going IB or trunk baffle?
I’m going trunk baffle. That’s how it was in my VW cc and it sounded amazing. I also made sure the trunk was 100% sealed (not sure it matters, maybe better not to have done that?) and the trunk from cabin was 100% sealed.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I would move to see measurements from someone that went from Trunk baffle to manifold and show me that it’s actually worth because I’ve yet to see comparison measurements.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts